The hardest Battle is yet to come.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The hardest Battle is yet to come.

So far I’ve got healthier by shedding 100 pounds. Have not had a drop of alcohol in 497 days. I sure didn’t plan on that part happening. As much as I liked to drink, (especially nice cold beer), that was not even a consideration. But as my taste buds changed by enjoying whole real foods, so did my taste (or lack of) for alcohol. Eventually getting to the point that alcohol was now pretty revolting to drink, I just stopped.

Got my financial life in order by getting completely out of debt. I have to admit the journey was more exciting then the end. But I’m now glad I can reap the benefits.

What’s next on the docket scares the crap out of me.

About 8 years ago, I was a +2 pack a day cigarette chain smoker.

It was taking a toll on my health. The daily occurrence of coughing up a lung, the cost, and not to mention the lovely smell associated with it was getting old. So I quit, well kind of.

I got into Vaping (electronic cigarettes or E-Cigs).

Through trial and error, I eventually found a system that I preferred over smoking. So quitting in that sense was really easy.

The benefits happened very fast. No longer plagued by coughing fits, breathing a whole lot better, blood pressure not shooting up, and no lingering smells that I can now detect isles away in a store. At close range, the smell of a smoker now makes me want to puke (sorry to my smoker friends, but it's the truth).

Over the years, I’ve upgraded by vaping system, but like my iphone, I’m still behind the times.

I thoroughly enjoy vaping. But nothing really changed from being a smoker.

I’m just a chain vaper now. If I’m awake, I’m vaping. And just as addicted to it as cigarettes. Being low on vape liquid, time changing out a part, or needing a recharge will have me bouncing off the walls.

They only real noticeable difference is that I am able to go extended hours through the day (if needed) without having the strong desire to run out and have a smoke. But, I sure do start vaping ASAP.

Even though there are some noticeable benefits as mentioned before to vaping over smoking, I want to get it out of my life.

One other difference is it still hasn’t been decided yet if vaping is really bad for you at all. So should I give up something I love? There have been some past studies showing a negative correlation with vaping. However, the “OMG read this” studies were show to be quite flawed. In fact, anyone with basic vaping knowledge could see the errors of the “shocking” study.

Not that I’m defending vaping, just saying we still don’t know the long-term effects.

That said, it shouldn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out that breathing in any foreign substance, over the long term, could be harmful. That’s pretty much my view on the effects.

Back in January 2018, the most comprehensive report ever on the health effects of vaping was released. Basically, there was still no conclusive evidence one way or the other.

"Given their relatively recent introduction, there has been little time for a scientific body of evidence to develop on the health effects of e-cigarettes," the authors write in their report. In other words, only time will tell.

11 key findings from one of the most comprehensive reports ever on the health effects of vaping

Sorry for going more into the vaping then I planned, but it is what I’ve been mentally up against as far as are they “bad” to begin with.

Now on to the quitting.

Being debt free and budgeting helps a little from a financial edge, as I view vaping as a unneeded expense that could be put to better work.

But the biggest hurdle will be a change in behavior. Not having a “replacement” this time makes me doubt having success. I try not to think of failing, but it’s hard not to. Making the decision public, may help.

I’ve tried gum, patches, pills (Man the effects from those were horrible), and hypnosis before with little or no success. Cold turkey has been the only thing that has worked, at least for a while. I quit smoking twice for 3 years at a time going cold turkey, so it’s top on my list. Although, now that I think about it. Hypnosis and cold turkey was a good combination. Maybe that can be my replacement.

So when are you going to quit?

This has been on my mind for a while. I’ve tried a couple of failed test runs, but still having it available didn’t help. Plus the thought of pitching a couple hundred dollars of equipment and supplies doesn’t help. Technically, I could start right now. But, (the addiction talking), that’s not happening.

So the plan is to start when I run out of vaping liquid. Which I estimate should happen in about a week. I’m currently weaning down my last bottles nicotine content, hoping that will help, or like the alcohol will find it less appealing.

I really should start sooner, (shut up addiction voice), because I’m most likely going to be home for most of the next week, and I would much rather get a head start while home then starting on the road. Where driving and vaping go hand and hand for me.

To be continued…

P.S.- I Vaped a lot while writing this :rolleyes:

Last edited:

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
With all you’ve done, I’d think you could do anything.
This may be the hardest.
I know someone whose nose was deteriorating. Gave up coke cold turkey. Can’t kick smoking.
My mother was dying of cancer. Young. Never quit smoking.

We’ll pray for you.

Reactions: RoadTime

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
With all you’ve done, I’d think you could do anything.
This may be the hardest.
I know someone whose nose was deteriorating. Gave up coke cold turkey. Can’t kick smoking.
My mother was dying of cancer. Young. Never quit smoking.

We’ll pray for you.

Thanks. This has been a major crutch/comforter/boredom saver for the last 8 years. And those will be voids I don't yet know how I will fill. It's hard for me to image going without it at this point. Although, I used to think the same thing about alcohol, now it's not even a after thought. But I also wasn't drinking from wake to sleep like vaping, so definitely going to be more challenging and a inner fight to give up my pacifier.

On the good side, despite my rising fears of failure, my desire to quit earlier has raised 50% since my first post.
Just hope I feel the same way in the morning :rolleyes:

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Last night while searching for some self help apps, I came across Jason Vale's Stop Smoking in 2 Hours.

Well that sure sounded gimmicky enough :rolleyes:

The reviews were good and it was free, so I downloaded it. Actually, a very nice program with audio and video, no adds or upsells. Keeping a open mind to the material (as requested). This was a interesting and different way of thinking about what he calls "the illusion of Nicotine", and how quitting can be very simple once you understand why you smoke. He addressed all my concerns and fears of quitting, which was very helpful. So I was ready to proceed with the program.

Was a late night to complete what I needed, but in the end...

The cage door to my enslavement was open, and I chose to leave :JElliott:

I'm now smoke/vape free. :clapping-hands-above-head:

Reactions: Ragman

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Day 1 of the adjustment period.

The nicotine terrorist fight back.

I wish I could say all went smoothly on day 1. For the most part it did, but there were some trying times that made me wonder if I was going to be hitting the S.O.S. button on my App, or get through it on my own. Mostly, it occurred every time I would be in a normal vaping situation for the first time, but of course that was not a option. Breaking the old behavior patterns will be tough as some are much stronger then others. Instinctively reaching for something that isn't there, is a odd feeling :confused2:

Not a flattering moment...

After throwing out all my vaping equipment, a nicotine terrorist whispered in my ear. "Hey, why throw it all out. You could sell it, or give it to so and so". Hmmm, that makes sense, as excitement starts to build by just knowing I would be retrieving it.

So now here was a loving picture, me with my head down a trash can, sifting through what looked like a compost pile. I found the main unit coffered in coffee grounds and cucumber peels. But there was a part missing. Panic and fear came over me as I more frantically dug through the can, removing trash, until I found the missing part.
A part that, unless someone was really despaired, would only be used by me.

Obviously, this had nothing to do with selling it or giving it a way, I wanted a safety net (that wouldn't cost much) if I failed.

So basically, by doing this I'm... planning on failing or just be practical? Sounds like the same thing to me :rolleyes:

With see show practical I stay, when I'll have another shot on Wednesday's trash pickup day to remove the on site temptation once and for all ;)

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Day 1 of the adjustment period.

The nicotine terrorist fight back.

I wish I could say all went smoothly on day 1. For the most part it did, but there were some trying times that made me wonder if I was going to be hitting the S.O.S. button on my App, or get through it on my own. Mostly, it occurred every time I would be in a normal vaping situation for the first time, but of course that was not a option. Breaking the old behavior patterns will be tough as some are much stronger then others. Instinctively reaching for something that isn't there, is a odd feeling :confused2:

Not a flattering moment...

After throwing out all my vaping equipment, a nicotine terrorist whispered in my ear. "Hey, why throw it all out. You could sell it, or give it to so and so". Hmmm, that makes sense, as excitement starts to build by just knowing I would be retrieving it.

So now here was a loving picture, me with my head down a trash can, sifting through what looked like a compost pile. I found the main unit coffered in coffee grounds and cucumber peels. But there was a part missing. Panic and fear came over me as I more frantically dug through the can, removing trash, until I found the missing part.
A part that, unless someone was really despaired, would only be used by me.

Obviously, this had nothing to do with selling it or giving it a way, I wanted a safety net (that wouldn't cost much) if I failed.

So basically, by doing this I'm... planning on failing or just be practical? Sounds like the same thing to me :rolleyes:

With see show practical I stay, when I'll have another shot on Wednesday's trash pickup day to remove the on site temptation once and for all ;)
yZoaj.gif

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Day 2 of the adjustment period...

After the trash can incident, I knew I was in trouble.

With this being my first real attempt to quit in 8 years, I knew it would be tough, but not where I was expecting.

I had no real physical cravings to restart, so that was good.

But by the end of Day 2, I let my mental fear and panic about how I would do on the road get the best of me. Also, I began over thinking about the pleasure I thought I was "missing out" on. I became sad and depressed that I gave it up. Like I lost a long time friend. Something the program tried to get me to overcome. But in the end I gave into my fears. Maybe I should of started on the road, doing it at home was the easy part (and I now know I can do that), but it was the unknown part of the road that got to me.

So what did I learn as a result of this?

Now I'm sad and depressed that I restarted :rolleyes:
The reality of the pleasure I thought I was "missing out" on, turned out to be only about 40-50% from what I remembered just 2 days ago. That was pretty disappointing o_O

Funnny how the mind can distort reality.

So, I will store away what I learned from this experience for now. Until, I make another attempt.

When that will be?

To be determined...

I will make more serious attempts to quit on the road now, since I know that's my biggest mental hurtle to get over.

Dell

Active Expediter
Easy way to stop vaping.

Have a heart attack. You can't vape while in the hospital those few days. Just have to deal with withdrawal along with all the medical issues.

Say it can't happen? Been there done that. Not fun.

Or keep it simple and do like you had done - toss the crap and be done with it.

Reactions: RoadTime

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Its tough.. seen my wife quit smoking twice before pregnancy years ago only to start up again months later after the child was born. Finally she quit before 3rd pregnancy and never started again (youngest is 27 years old) .
ME , it was Easier, November of 1975 . After the 3rd night of Wrestling practice with my lungs burning after conditioning drills , showered ,and walked outside with teammates and grabbed That Pack of Marlboro Reds and destroyed them in front of friends. Man ,we all thought Smoking was Cool , but i never looked back.

Will power Roadtime , you can do this..

Common Sense doesn't come with Directions

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Take Two...

A 911 call?

It's been a little over a year since my failed attempt to quit vaping.

FlashBack to first attempt...

So now here was a loving picture, me with my head down a trash can, sifting through what looked like a compost pile. I found the main unit covered in coffee grounds and cucumber peels. But there was a part missing. Panic and fear came over me as I more frantically dug through the can, removing trash, until I found the missing part. A part that, unless someone was really desperate, would only be used by me.

Today... Wow, did I really do that? Sounds like I was the desperate one :hushed:

Late last night I had the worse case of heart palpitations ever. It was so bad I thought I might have to go the E.R. or call 911.
With in 15 mins of No Vaping symptoms began to subside, after 30 mins my heart was beating normally again.
This has happened before with vaping and usually associated with the amount of nicotine used and how much vaping I'm doing.
Remember, if I'm awake I'm vaping.

But it never got close to this bad before, It scared the crap out of me o_O

So last night was the catalyst for me to stop vaping again. Seems like a good motivator ;)

I re-read all I wrote before, hopefully learning something from my past experience.

Things that have changed since last time. I have been using very low to no nicotine for several months. I already proved I can go without nicotine. I only added a little back in recently, because I had it, and for a thrill :rolleyes:

So I have no nicotine addition. It's 100% behavioral now. Although, I have noticed I've been becoming increasingly sensitive (ie. palpitation) to even low levels of nicotine, and even if I vape too much with no nicotine.

So this morning I started with, out of sight out of mind, by stashing away everything.
Then I threw out all my nicotine vape. But that was easy, I know I don't really need nicotine.
Then it hit me. I'm doing it again. I'm planing to fail by not getting rid of everything.
If I'm going to take a stand and finally stop vaping...Everything must Go!

And so it began, every last remnant of Vaping tossed in the trash. Fortunately it's trash day and sitting on the curb to be gone forever.
Down side is I have late pick up.

Will I run out to save it at the last minute (like last time), or let it go on it's merry way?

download.jpg

Reactions: ntimevan

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I did end up letting the trash man take away all my vaping equipment and supplies this time.
That is most likely the only reason I'm into day 3 now, 99.9% sure if it was still here I would have caved... again :rolleyes:

Day 1 was rather interesting, (and frustrating at times), as I constantly would be reaching for my vape unit that wasn't there. Not that I really needed or craved it, just seems like that's what I trained my self to do, without even thinking about it, I reach for it after everything I do. By the end of day two, I wasn't doing it nearly as much, but every new familiar situation would trigger a old auto reach response.

So far driving without vaping doesn't seem to be the big bugaboo I thought it would be. Yeah, there still are triggers, but pretty easily dismissed so far.
I have noticed that in this short time my blood pressure which has been on the rise, has now stabilized. I have my longest road trip so far planned for today, which will be filled with a lot of triggers, but I think I will manage. After all, it's no longer about what I want, it's about what I need to do, or don't do anymore, in this case ;)

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Day 4 No Vaping. Broke my longest streak in over 8 years by 3 days :p

My 400 Mile drive was interesting. I did fine without vaping, but the reaching syndrome was ridiculous.
I can't count the number of times I reached for a vape to find nothing. Equally weird, was when I wound reach for it, find nothing, then look around for it :rolleyes:
It's crazy how programmed you can become and a habit is formed.

Back at home. No reaching today for vape that isn't there...so far.
Can't say I don't think about it more, but nothing I can't cast aside. Although, if I had not thrown out everything, I can almost guarantee I would not have made it this long. I don't want to give my thoughts too much power, since based on my own record from my last attempt...

"The reality of the pleasure I thought I was "missing out" on, turned out to be only about 40-50% from what I remembered... That was pretty disappointing".

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
1 full week of No Vaping
I really didn't think I'd make it this long. Let alone even try again.
The automatic reaching for a vape has reduced significantly, yet still flairs up with triggers and during old "normal" habit times.

So far, so good. Haven't been tempted beyond my means to vape. Would I like to? Sure.
But I don't vape

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I use to think that vaping was a healthier alternative to smoking. But I'm not sure anymore.

I will still give vaping a "healthier" edge over smoking. The long term effects are still up in the air, however, studies are showing more of a cardiovascular risk then originally thought.

But on the positive side...
2 weeks now with No Vaping :happydance:

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
24 Days without Vaping & Nicotine...

Since a new behavior generally takes about 30 days to establish, I'm eyeing up the big 30 ;)

That said, I feel I'm well on my way.

The biggest most irritating thing that seems to have finally stopped is reaching for a vape that doesn't exist.
I guess after a million failed attempts to find my vape, my brain finally realized there is nothing there.
Or my negative behavioral reinforcement actually worked...

59339_web.jpg

I only did this for about a hour but...

I did actually have one really frustrating day on a long trip, where every 5 mins I was reaching for my vape that wasn't there. So I started slapping the offending hand (hard) each time while saying "No!" o_O

Don't know if it really helped, but it did bring back some childhood memories :JC-hysterical:

The physical reaching seems to of been replaced now with a mental image (although less and less frequent).
I will get a quick image flash in my brain of my vape unit, but Instead of reaching for it, I instantly correct my thought and move on without a physical reach.

This whole experience has been pretty bizarre, but after about a decade of constant vaping and prior +20 years of on/off chain smoking (mostly on),
I'm actually now thinking, what I thought would be my hardest battle,... was actually the easiest :cool:

Last edited: