The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Looking to change careers?

Are thinking about switching carriers?

Maybe you are considering an “In House” Driver Training Program.

Quite possibly you are going to purchase a new piece of equipment.

Investigate, investigate, and investigate.

Find out everything you can before making any decision.

Why?

As we all know, everyone operates their business differently. This includes carriers, fleet owners, driving schools, leasing companies, truck dealerships, repair centers, truck stops, restaurants, etc. Even owner/operators have different methodologies for conducting their business. For example, I do not do everything exactly the same as my closest friends; friends that I trust and respect.

Do we always do everything exactly correct?

We should try to right, and it should be our desire to do right, but we all fall short from time to time. During those periods when we fall short of the mark, our mistake, miscalculation or malevolence will affect those with whom we come in contact.

When I perceive that I have been the recipient of a wrongful deed, how should I react?

What is my responsibility in such matters?

Do I simply gripe, grumble, complain, back bite, nit-pick, criticize, gossip or cast disparaging remarks about the offender. If I do, then I am at fault for doing so!

What?

Let’s see what the Bible has to say about this matter.

Matthew 18:15 Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother.

How many times do we go directly to the person that we believe has offended us? Or do we simply sit back and take cheap shots in an attempt to ease the agitation of an alleged wrong.

I can not begin to tell you the number of times that when I go directly to the person that I believe has wronged me; I usually discover that my anger is not warranted, because the majority of times I find there was simply a lack of understanding on my part. In other words, I did not have the whole story.

So why don’t we go to the individual directly? It is our nature. We take the path of least resistance. We seek retribution and we do so verbally via gossip, or in a written format; a faceless format. That may keep us in our “comfort zone”, but it solves nothing.

Griping about fuel prices, D.O.T. inspections, scale houses, log books, carriers, fleet owners, lousy fast food, long hours, idle time, short runs, low rates, dead areas, weather conditions, service centers, driving schools, traffic jams, no cell phone signal, runny oatmeal, mercury in tuna, somebody not smiling at you, only makes folks feel better in the very short term. It does nothing to resolve the problem.

Additionally, in the event that you do have a legitimate issue, why don’t you resolve it immediately?

Allowing a predicament to persist, day after day, and month after month, makes me question the legitimacy of one’s concern.

And should you lack the capacity, or understanding, to resolve an issue yourself, seek some advice. Find someone who has some experience with your particular problem.
Once you have acquired wise counsel, then you go to the person directly and confront them. God forbid that I be guilty of destroying anyone's reputation, or livelihood, by uttering half-truths or misinformation.

GR8C5

Seasoned Expediter
I am looking to learn all I can about expediting as my fourth career. You might even call me a rookie.

Your comments are well spoken. I wholeheartedly agree.

I'd like to add, regardless of vocation or avocation, there are two Truths I have learned.

They are Faith and Love.

Earlier in the Book of Matthew (Chapter 17, verse 20), Jesus is admonishing His disciples saying if they had the Faith of a mustard seed, they could move a mountain.

As I read the posts, I see that the successful folks must have great Faith to exceed the challenges to become successful. Nothing is easy!

Expediting and Faith are not for the faint of heart!

I've enjoyed great successes and endured great hardships - as we all have.

My wife and I have both survived challenging bouts with cancer.

Through it all, it is our Love and Faith that gets us through.

So, I always carry a small bag of mustard seeds in my pocket to share with my fellow travellers through this life who may be a little low on Faith. One seed rolled between your finger and thumb is a powerful affirmation that our Faith will get us through the tough times. We may not always like what happens, but, with Faith, we will overcome.

I'd like to ask you to join me carrying and sharing a little bag of Faith with others because this world needs all the help we can give.

You can pick up a can of mustard seeds in the spice section of most grocery stores. The bags are from Wal-Mart's craft department.

So, as I read and observe the lessons of this Forum, I am looking for information about expediting and getting great insights.

But, some posts are special and universal.

Thanks,

In Faith and Love I Remain,

John -
Mustard Seed Marketing

butterfly610

Veteran Expediter
Great Post! Personally, my faith has allowed me to practice patience in this career choice. I know that God will always provide for me and he has my back so to say. With that hope, I am able to have the patience and peace of mind knowing that he is the one in control of everything. I once heard a preacher say that if you try and control everything you are basically being prideful because your actions show you don't trust God enough to take care of you. That really spoke to me. There have been times I thought I had the perfect load, only to have it cancel, and I have to remind myself that maybe that was God's way of protecting me from something or having something better lined up. You never know.

Also, not resolving issues immediately just turns them into bitterness which turns to anger. Not a good thing. I always try and practice that. I don't really let too many things get to me. There are a few people on this forum that I never hear say anything bad. They don't complain or write bad things to people....and they really stand out to me. I like that.