The destruction of the Bug Population

benfieldexpress

Expert Expediter
Is it just me, or is there less bugs this year than last? Not saying no bugs, by no means, just seems like less. I've been driving for 14 years now, and I've been killing them critters by,... well,, the truck load. Now after all this time, am I beginning to see a decline?
Imagine, a whole spring and summer with no bugs? That would be great. Of course, it could be this new RainX bug cleaner in my washer fuild, but I really can't imagine something on my windshield that would hit it at 70 mph and just bounce off. Defies the law of physics or something. No. I think it's that the more trucks, sprinters, and cargo vans on the road, we could in just a few years, eliminate all them radiator clogging, windshield smearing and general killers of good paint jobs, and have happiness on the road again, not to mention great looking paint jobs.

X1_SRH

Expert Expediter
I have a scientific hypothesis to adress this scenario...
I believe that the truck manufacturers are now using the same kind of glass on the windshields that was once used only in rear windows.
I always had to scrub bugs off of my pickup truck windshield, but the rear window was almost always perfectly bug-free. I never made the connection until your post...(maybe it's because I never had a big truck with any rear windows??) Thanks!! - Scott

benfieldexpress

Expert Expediter
I was at a little get together on evening, and a very good friend, who is a salesman, and travels alot, mentioned to me that he doesn't listen to his radio very often. Well, to be honest, most radio stations I listen to, (60 & 70's) play the same songs I've heard before. They never play anything new. Same ole stuff I been hearing since, the 60's and 70's. And rap, and talk shows and whatever they call rock 'n roll today, just isn't cutting it. So I took his advice, and man, does it work.
Now I have time to think. I realize that thinking can be harmful to your health, especially if it's all negative. Well, being an expeditor, My only negative in life is....come to think about it, I have erased all negative things from my head, and I can't think of anything. But I really enjoy the road, and wonder why people idle themselves purposely just to listen to someone on the radio telling them what they should think, and feel, just because they are miserable with the country, don't like something, or someone in politics, (which is another long subject, I don't think too much about). AND THEY THINK I SHOULD THINK LIKE THAT TOO. STUPID.
My answer, turn off the radio and think about how everyday
things that we have always wondered about. I've read Mike from ohio, and his saying, "It's expediting, not rocket science".
Scott, that is something that I, didn't think of, you know, the replacement of all front windshield glass with rear window glass. BRILLIANT!!!
I think about a great deal of things.
Ever wonder where the heck everyone, except truckers are going? Does anyone work, 9 to 5 anymore. Can't be. And I see a lot of Lexus, and BMW's, out around 11am or 3 pm and I wonder how they could afford those cars without working. If I ever find out, THAT'S THE JOB FOR ME.
In the east anyway, ever notice there are more florida tags, and Ohio tags on cars than any other state. They are everywhere. Something wrong in those two states that would make people want to drive to other states all the time.
I have tons of things I think about, makes the time so by, and it's very entertaining if you keep a little humor in it.

God, please ride with all us expeditors, and truckers, and see we get there safely and back,

Benny

X1_SRH

Expert Expediter
Benny -
Without a little (or a lot in some cases) humor in our attitude the world can drag us all down pretty quickly. The best skill that an expediter (or anyone) can have is to make the best out of a negative situation.

Attitudes are contagious, and I'm hoping that a whole bunch of folks on this big ol' goofy planet will catch yours. Thanks for your input here on the forums.

I wish you the best - Scott

benfieldexpress

Expert Expediter
I was on my way to Dalton, Ga. from Concord, NC, and I always make that run through the Great Smokey Mountains, via the Great Smokey Mountain Expressway. (US74 & US64). When I got to Andrews, NC, a small little mtn. town, I stopped at the Rest Area they have there. As I walk up the ramp leading to the restrooms, an older gentleman was walking slowly, and carefully down the ramp, watching this feet to make sure of each step. I passed, and said, "Hi, how are you", and kept walking. His reply, "Blessed, and thankful", and he quickly looked and smiled, and went on walking. That made my day. I needn't say more.

Benny

ps. I appreciate that Scott.