The birth of Driver

Mugg2000

Expert Expediter
I have a 9 month plan I am about to start and it began when I was assisting one of my son's in getting his dream, a Class A CDL. After watching him and listening to some of the things he was saying I started to catch up on some of the forum's.

I have been working in the Information Technolgy Industy for over 20 years now, and I am looking to change careers at 50 years of age. Expedite has really made an impression on me for several reason's a few I may not even go into.

I apprecaite any and all comments as I leave a few postings in here. My first question is this:

My Wife is a firefighter, she works 2 and 2 week rotations.

Are there Companies willing to allow an Expedited Driver to work the same schedule?

garman351

Expert Expediter
THINK HARD BEFORE YOU MAKE YOUR FINAL DECISION?

If you think driving down the open road and seeing the country sounds exciting, "Wow," are you ever wrong Pal! all you will see is the highway to and from your delivery's.

You will be driving all different hours seven days a week through fog,rain, snow, sleet etc and how about that heavy traffic going through most major cities etc.

How about being away from home most of the time, being stuck living out of your truck for the weekends, using public toilets & showers and eating meals on the road, and spending large amounts of money on repaires, fuel etc.

It's a very tough life and over 50% of new people never make it past their first year!

Your nine to five life on a bad day is a hell of a lot better than being a truck driver, after all you get to go home at the end of your day and relax.

Lets talk about stress dealing with dispatchers, worrying about making to the shipper on time, dealing with bad directions etc.

I praise all the truck drivers I see driving down the road, "they are the unsung heroes who never get the credit they deserve."

having a mid life crisis but a corvet, or get a tatoo or better yet learn to play the guitar, or heaven forbid learn to line dance.

(Truck driving)
A very hard profession that is not for everybody, your wife is a fire fighter and it sounds like your doing ok. Going into your golden years it seems like you would want life to be a little less stressful and have worked for taking more time off to enjoy life hobby's etc.

(Good Luck)

X1_SRH

Expert Expediter
Mugg,

One of the greatest things about being an expediter is getting to have a lot of control over your work schedule. Keep in mind, however, that putting restrictions on where you need to be and when you need to be there will more than likely affect your revenue.

To say it simply, the way to make the most money in this business is to be willing to take any-thing any-where at any-time.

This site and the companies that advertise here can help you to make an informed decision to see if expediting would be a good fit to meet your needs.

Best wishes - Scott

vernon946

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Mugg, if you will spend some time reading the archives here, I'm sure you will realize that the picture garman351 painted is only part of the story. A lot of us out here really enjoy this lifestyle and would have a hard time going back to a 9to5er. We find this is less stressful than our old jobs. The archives will also show you that the April-June timeframe will be the best time to jump in.

On your question about the 2wks on - 2 wks off, just about any major company can accomodate that schedule, but you have to realize it may not be kind to your bottom line. You may find yourself 1000 miles from home after 12 days, and have to run like crazy to get home so your wife can get to work. These deadhead miles to home are out of your pockets.

Maybe a better alternative for you would be to drive solo while your wife is working her schedule, and turn toward home when you get a run closer to home. This may have you being gone sometimes 10 days and sometimes 18, but the drives home wouldn't be so expensive.

Vernon in C2197