The Big Under Body Tool Boxes

RoadDawgg

Expert Expediter
Where are some good places to get them, and what kind of prices would I be looking at? I need to start bringing a bike with me, and need a place to store it. I hate being stuck in one place on a 34 hour reset (especially in places like Antioch where there's nothing at this exit).

I thought about using my box, but the diminutive little thing just doesn't have the spare room.

Thanks!
Christopher

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
I'm looking to ad one to my truck also, just started looking and saw a 48" one at Tractor Supply for $249. Not sure on how good the price is till I do some more shopping. Does the aluminum ones hold up better than the painted ones against salt and other road abuse?

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

RoadKing06

Expert Expediter
I have been saying since we started doing this that we neded to bring our bikes, in order to be mobile once parked. I have thought about all kinds of ways to carry them, but none that would actually be logical. Tracy, my hubby just laughed at me.
I even thought about putting a rack on the side of the truck some how, but obviously that wouldn't work.
The under box thing might work though, didn't think about that.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Iowa 80 in Walcott, IA has the 24x24x36 black painted box on sale for $299. They were $449. I didn't get the price on the 24x24x48 but it was on sale also.

jansiemoo

Seasoned Expediter
I have been saying since we started doing this that we neded to bring our bikes, in order to be mobile once parked. I have thought about all kinds of ways to carry them, but none that would actually be logical. Tracy, my hubby just laughed at me.
I even thought about putting a rack on the side of the truck some how, but obviously that wouldn't work.
The under box thing might work though, didn't think about that.

Problems we've run into with bikes:
Fitting into a toolbox, most of them leak-really nasty winter slush in our brand new boxes this winter. Then, the aluminum boxes leave that "dust" on everything, hard to get off clothes. You can try lining them with something like the clear plastic they use on carpets in open houses, but it will wear through.
Fitting the bikes is by far the hardest part. You may need to take the handlebars and turn them paralell to the frame and get folding pedals ($15). We have one folding and one regular bike, but cannot carry either at this time.

Pirate2X

Active Expediter
I team drove for several months in a straight truck, 22ft box.

We had our bikes with us for about 3 or 4 months. How we did it:
We modified hooks made for mounting bikes in a ceiling joist, or hanging on a wall. The rubber coated 3 inchers that have screw ends on them, like 1.00 at any hardware store. We cut the point off and drilled a hole through them for a cotter pin. We drilled holes in the rail at the top of the box along the sides at the top.

We only had 1 load that actually required us to move them, in which case it was easy, unstrap from wall, take down, and laid them on top of the freight.

Using the cotter pins made it so we could turn the hooks out of the way, or just remove them.

We did however spend more than most on good bikes with the right features. Quick disconnect wheels was a must, in case we needed to remove them to fit in a side box, which they would easily if needed. Our goal was not to have to spend time assembling them and disassembling them when we wanted to use them.

We did a lot of riding on our off time, we had rear racks, with trunks (cloth, water resistant), front bags, and some bungees. Easily hauled 12 packs of pop, new shoes, water for our ride, whatever we wanted within reason.

I plan to put bikes back in the truck this summer for my wife and I. It is great exercise, and just fun for a way to be mobile. not to mention relatively inexpensive.

Don't forget head and tail lights, Even during the day, the strobe feature is a life saver.

~Bill

RoadKing06

Expert Expediter
Thank you Bill, that is sort of one of the original ideas that I had, but was told they would be in way of freight. I hope we can do something like this. Lord knows it is so boring sitting doing nothing unable to go anywhere because you can't drive the truck around, using the 14 hrs or are on a reset.
Plus we both really could use the exercise!