The Benefits of Giving Thanks

ATeam

Retired Expediter
The Benefits of Giving Thanks

On this Thanksgiving Day, 2023, and in these days of high social stress and conflict, it can be helpful to think about Thanksgiving. At the risk of belaboring the obvious, Thanksgiving is about giving thanks.

Of all the holidays, Thanksgiving is perhaps the most straightforward and easiest to observe. It’s not about honoring notable people or marking an historic event. Thanksgiving is about giving thanks. It’s about expressing gratitude.

When we give thanks, we don’t’ think about what we don’t have. We think about what we do have. We count our blessings. Doing that puts us in a particular mindset. That mindset, that feeling of gratitude, brings us wonderful benefits.

Even if you are not grateful, you might want to pretend you are, because these benefits are real and highly desirable. And they can be yours, instantly and free of charge.

When you are grateful, you trigger numerous empowering effects in your body and brain. These include:

Improved Mood. Enough said.

Improved Vision. You tend to see opportunities you might otherwise miss if you were blinded by envy, anger, or other negative emotions.

Improved Confidence. Your perspective is enhanced, and with it, your ability to navigate through difficult times.

Improved Mental Health. Gratitude has been shown to reduce symptoms of depression and anxiety, and foster a more positive and balanced emotional state.

Enhanced Relationships. (Big One!) Expressing gratitude toward others can strengthen social bonds and relationships. Who would you rather be around, a spouse or partner who is grateful for you, or one who is not? Looking at it through their eyes, who would they rather be around? And if you wanted to trigger gratitude in your spouse or partner, what’s the easiest way to do that? (Hint: be grateful for your spouse or partner.)

Physical Health Benefits. Some research suggests gratitude has positive effects on our physical health, such as improved sleep and a stronger immune system.

These are just a few of the many benefits of gratitude. Much has been written about this. Google the phrase “benefits of gratitude” to learn more. Seriously, learn more about this. It can be life-changing. It’s truly amazing how powerful and beneficial the emotion of gratitude can be.

The Benefits of Gratitude are Free

Think about it. Where do you go to get gratitude? Is it for sale in stores? Can you buy it on Amazon? Are there gratitude vending machines? Even if you wanted to, you can’t buy gratitude at any price. If you want gratitude and the benefits it brings, you must claim them free of charge.

The Benefits of Gratitude are Instantly Available to You

You can turn on gratitude like flipping a switch. The instant you decide to be grateful, BOOM! the benefits of gratitude begin to arrive.

How do you do that? How do you turn on gratitude like flipping a switch? It is easier than you may think.

I keep a gratitude journal. While any piece of paper will do, I use a little notebook. When I want to feel grateful, I simply writes a short sentence; “I’m grateful for … .” Then I'll write another; “I’m grateful for … .” And another; “I’m grateful for … .” It’s that easy. The mood shift begins the instant I begin to write.

It gets even easier after you have done this for a week or so. To turn on your attitude of gratitude, you don’t need to write anything new. Just look back at what you wrote before, and BOOM! the gratitude comes on.

If you try this even once, you’ll likely feel the stress leaving your body, your mind calming down, your heart rate slowing, your breathing becoming more tranquil, and you may even feel a quiet smile come onto your face.

If you do this regularly, you will become habitually grateful, and the benefits of gratitude will be yours to enjoy every day.

While expediters don't have regular schedules like nine-to-five people do. There are ways to develop and strengthen your gratitude habit. Maybe, instead of using a notebook, speak into a note on your phone as you drive. Maybe develop the ritual of writing a little in your gratitude journal each time you wake from a good sleep when you are waiting for your next load.

If you can have the benefits of being grateful, easy and free of charge, is there any reason why you would not want them? Give this a try to see for yourself how beneficial it can be. It will improve your mood in the moment, and with practice, it can change your life in surprising and welcome ways.

Happy Thanksgiving, Expediters. Be grateful, and be safe.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Being grateful today for good health and a family get together,daughter,son, and guess, what,,my x wife came by ....there is no fussing , its been over 20 years, its her birthday, we laughed and such, my spouse died 3 years ago, its better now,,,I found a girlfriend, at 77 miracles happen,,life is good................amen.....

Reactions: Ragman and ATeam