Thanks and Fuel

Wannabe

Expert Expediter
Hello Everybody,

I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank all of you for taking the time to read and answer all my ?'s. Your contributions have really helped me make some informed decisions about all of this. I'm going in feelng a lot better
than I did before.

One quick question: If my truck nas 2 70 gal. tanks, about how far can I average between fuel stops? (ball park)

Thanks again. I hope to get a chance to meet some of ya'll on the road. :D

vernon946

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
And maybe a quick answer. You didn't state what kind of engine/tranny you have, or what your tolerance for low fuel levels might be, so I'll speak in general terms.

Assuming you have a CAT 3126 and 6 speed manual, I would estimate 1000 miles between fuel stops if you intended to get down to a 1/4 tank level. My suggestion, don't stretch it that far. I would not go over 500 miles beween fuel stops, as doing a PTI (pre or post trip inspection is very important now with a truck "new to you", and should be done often until you get used to the truck. After that, 500 miles is still a good fuel time. I like to keep the tanks ready for that potential 24-hour-on-the-highway weather or accident stop in 100 degree or 10 degree weather. We've seen both.

Vernon

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
I agree Vernon as "anything can and will happen". I would add that we learned real quick to fuel after delivery, a few times of too tired, do it in the morning or whatever, next thing ya know they're waking you up with a load offer and now you're playing catch-up. Also, keeping an eye on fuel prices, some places you're going you want to top off while in a cheaper fuel state. DD

MILITARY MOM AND PROUD OF IT

vernon946

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Dieseldiva, you are exactly right. We have also got in the habit of fueling after midnight as we're usually working then anyway. Almost no lines so it goes quickly, instead of sitting 30 minutes in line after waking up to that call to take another load in the afternoon.

Vernon

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
HEY WANNABE! WELCOME ABOARD! THE FOLKS ON THIS SITE HAVE BEEN REAL HELPFUL TO ME IN THE PAST TOO! AS FOR THE FUEL THING, I'D LIKE TO TELL YOU WHAT HAPPENED TO ME JUST TO LET YOU KNOW HOW IMPORTANT IT IS TO KEEP AN EYE ON YOUR MILEAGE. I ALSO HAVE TWIN 70'S AND I GET AROUND 11 MPG. AND SOMETIMES IN THE PAST MY FUEL GAUGE GOT NEAR EMPTY,THIS ONLY HAPPENED WHEN I WAS NEARING HOME WHERE FUEL WAS AROUND $1.33 A GAL. AND WHEN I FILLED UP IT ONLY TOOK LIKE 95 GAL. TELLING ME THAT I HAD ROUGHLY 45 GAL. REMAINING OF WHICH ONLY 32 GAL. WERE USEABLE DUE TO THE DESIGN OF THE TANKS (i'm thinking) ANYWAY WITH THIS IN MIND I FELT I HAD SORT OF A SAFETY NET IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN? WELL THE OTHER DAY WHEN I STOPPED FOR FUEL I HAD A LITTLE OVER A QUARTER OF A TANK(s) REMAINING AND IT TOOK OVER A 100 GAL. SO I FIGURE THE FLOAT IN THE TANK MUST OF BEEN STUCK AND NOW HAS COME LOOSE SHOWING AN ACCURATE AMOUNT OF FUEL! I'M GALD I WAS'NT RELYING ON THAT SO CALLED SAFETY NET! SO IT'S GOOD TO KEEP THOSE TANKS READY TO GO AND DON'T ALWAYS COUNT ON THAT GAUGE, BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!! LATER SHARP327 :)