Tennessee Insurrection

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Jones alleged racism at that point, and others did the same as the events of the day played out.

Three representatives were subject to expulsion votes. Now known as "The Tennessee Three," two of them are young black men (one mixed-race Filipino/Black) and one is a 60-year-old white woman. All three committed the exact same offense together at the exact same time and place. The white Republicans voted to expel the blacks and retain the white woman.

To many in America, this looks like an example of overt racism.
They’re the Expelled Two now.
There is also precedent that people that use the bullhorns get the stiffer penalty. Just ask the Horns guy from J6.

Last edited:
Reactions: danthewolf00

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Jones alleged racism at that point, and others did the same as the events of the day played out.

Three representatives were subject to expulsion votes. Now known as "The Tennessee Three," two of them are young black men (one mixed-race Filipino/Black) and one is a 60-year-old white woman. All three committed the exact same offense together at the exact same time and place. The white Republicans voted to expel the blacks and retain the white woman.

Many of the race baiters that is.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The left believes the universe revolves around them. They believe they can do anything at all while dictating what very limited things those to their right can do. Expelling them was absolutely the right call and hopefully with it some sort of ban on ever holding public office again. It is time for the left to be put in their place. This is a good start and a good example.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
All three committed the exact same offense together at the exact same time and place. The white Republicans voted to expel the blacks and retain the white woman.
They did not commit the exact same offense. Johnson did not verbally or physically disrupt House proceedings. She just stood by in support of the two agitators who used a bullhorn to lead chants from the well of the House floor. Still, she was one vote short of being expelled.
That's because it's being presented as overt racism by the liberals in state and national media.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Why do you tag Jones and Pearson as "puerile miscreants" but not Johnson?
Johnson is 60 years old, and stood by in support, and because of their actions compared to hers. They are recently elected freshmen in the House and acted like freshmen in college leading a street protest, shouting from a bullhorn in the well of the TN State House. This kind of behavior should have been conducted outside the building on their own time.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
They did not commit the exact same offense. Johnson did not verbally or physically disrupt House proceedings. She just stood by in support of the two agitators who used a bullhorn to lead chants from the well of the House floor. Still, she was one vote short of being expelled.

That's because it's being presented as overt racism by the liberals in state and national media.
Right, avoided being expelled by ONE vote and only a 7 vote difference with the most egregious of the three. Well over a majority voted for her expulsion. She didn’t have the bullhorn though egging on the crowd INSIDE the Capitol chanting “No Justice, No Peace” and violating the Tennessee constitution.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Additionally, before the votes for expulsion were conducted, all three were able to speak on the floor. There was no indication by the two who were expelled, that they would stop their surrectioning.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
This is one of situations were the old saying "two wrongs don't make a right" fits.

The should have never done that on the floor and the rest of the house should have never expelled them.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I heard on the news last night that this is the first time in Tennessee history where a partisan expulsion was done. The Republicans have a super-majority in their State House and they used that power to expel two members on a party line vote
Party line votes are certainly not unprecedented, especially with the degree of political division that's developed in our country. What is unprecedented is members disrupting the function of the state legislature with bullhorns from the well and agitating the crowd of protesters in the gallery. Some would consider this to be obstructing the function of government, or put another way, insurrection. Suppose their actions had led the crowd to become violent?
That is unprecedented. And that does not sit well with a large number of Tennesseans and Americans.
No surprise that it doesn't sit well with voters in their deep blue districts within Nashville and especially Memphis. But being a lifelong resident of TN I can guarantee you that it sits just fine with the vast majority of Tennesseans. It doesn't matter what the rest of the country thinks - they don't vote here.
I don't know if the Republicans intended it or not, but one consequence of their act was to instantly transform the "Tennessee Three" into national names and get them more air time and column inches than most state-level politicians get in a lifetime. They are nationally known and hailed as heroes by many.
Fortunately, the state of TN hardly ever makes national news, and the "Expelled Two" will be forgotten by the national media by this time next week. Had these two guys been white, they probably wouldn't have even been mentioned.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
This is one of situations were the old saying "two wrongs don't make a right" fits.

The should have never done that on the floor and the rest of the house should have never expelled them.
When they spoke on the floor before the vote, there was no indication their”decorum”would change.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I guess im getting old, I had to look up what that meant......

By the way, since you are in TN, did you get any damage from the weather? My wifes oldest sons children live in Adamsville and a tornado leveled their home, thankfully they were not there when it hit, lost pretty much everything but they are alive.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I guess im getting old, I had to look up what that meant......

By the way, since you are in TN, did you get any damage from the weather? My wifes oldest sons children live in Adamsville and a tornado leveled their home, thankfully they were not there when it hit, lost pretty much everything but they are alive.
I'm just outside Houston, but I do like eastern TN and would probably move there if for whatever reason I couldn't live in Texas. Sorry to hear about their devastation but as long as everyone is alive the rest is just having to deal with insurance companies, horrible but worth it if everyone is ok.

Reactions: coalminer

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Party line votes are certainly not unprecedented, especially with the degree of political division that's developed in our country.
True, but a party line expulsion is unprecedented. In that House, expulsions are exceedingly rare and until yesterday there has never been a party line expulsion.
What is unprecedented is members disrupting the function of the state legislature with bullhorns from the well and agitating the crowd of protesters in the gallery. Some would consider this to be obstructing the function of government, or put another way, insurrection.
Some could but no one who had a say in this did. The official violation was said to be a decorum rules breach.
Suppose their actions had led the crowd to become violent?
It didn't.
No surprise that it doesn't sit well with voters in their deep blue districts within Nashville and especially Memphis. But being a lifelong resident of TN I can guarantee you that it sits just fine with the vast majority of Tennesseans. It doesn't matter what the rest of the country thinks - they don't vote here.
I appreciate your insight as I know nothing of Tennessee state and local politics. And I'm very interested to see what the citizen response will be to what I view as a heavy handed abuse of power.
Fortunately, the state of TN hardly ever makes national news, and the "Expelled Two" will be forgotten by the national media by this time next week.
That is certainly possible. It is also possible that this story will have legs.
Had these two guys been white, they probably wouldn't have even been mentioned.
And they probably would not have been expelled.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
When they spoke on the floor before the vote, there was no indication their”decorum”would change.
In fact, their speaking on the floor demonstrated good decorum. They waited their turn. They made respectable speeches. Not once did the Speaker call them out of order.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
In fact, their speaking on the floor demonstrated good decorum. They waited their turn. They made respectable speeches. Not once did the Speaker call them out of order.
When I said decorum, it was referring to them acknowledging that what they did was wrong and it wouldn’t happen again. There was no acknowledging of that and instead they doubled down. As reported by the Tennessee Star.

1F22B9AC-60B9-4672-8438-6C1516913381.jpeg

ATeam

Retired Expediter
When I said decorum, it was referring to them acknowledging that what they did was wrong and it wouldn’t happen again. There was no acknowledging of that and instead they doubled down. As reported by the Tennessee Star.
That is correct. They have no remorse for what they did and no apologies were issued by any of the Tennessee Three.