Teams

jrgibbs1

Seasoned Expediter
This post is directed to the truck owners on the forum.

As an owner, what charateristics does one look for when picking a team to drive for you, and are there any red flags that make you think twice about handing them the keys to your truck

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
When you first meet with the people you are interested in,1st impressions are a must.The ideal team,most likely already owns their own truck,so it will be almost impossible to find perfection.
In the conversation,listen to what they have to say,read between the lines.How much experience do they have,ytiu don't need the truck to be put in the garage for every little thing that can be fixed at home.YOu don't need a team that wants home every weekend.you don't need a team that wants to tell you how to run your buisiness.I once had one tell me they don't do NYC,don't do Canada,in fact don't like to run anywhere but west.I don't know if they ever found a job.
If you can find a team that were owner opps at one time themselves,thats a plus,as long as they have a good reason why they don't own their own truck now.
Look for a husband and wife team,in this business,a couple slow weeks ,separate houshold checks,can find your drivers looking for new employment.A H/W team can even do a short load and make money,separate houshold teams are always looking for the long loads,so turn down more than their share of the freight and revenue
Good luck,your going to need it