Team driver / learner

elton10

Expert Expediter
Can anyone tell me if a company will or wont allow a holder of a Class B learner permit to drive as part of a team on a unit requiring the Class B license..assuming the co-driver is a Class B licensed driver.
I currenty hold a Class C CDL with hazmat endorsement. Ive taken and passed the air brakes endorsement written exam and would like to team with an experienced Class B driver on a C or D unit.
Most of my driving on the "C" license was in 25,500 GVRW units of 22'.
Id love to hear from some recruiters on how your respective companies would view the situation

X1_SRH

Expert Expediter
Elton -

A class B learners permit will allow an individual to operate a straight truck legally, but only under the watchful eye of a licensed full class A or B holder. What this means to you is....

All of the driving time by the permit holder must be logged as "on duty" time by the CDL holder. The holder of the CDL must be ever vigilant in training the permit holder, and cannot sleep or otherwise be away from the operation of the truck.

This combination of drivers will never be able to operate for more than 14 hours before having to shut down for a 10 hour break IAW DOT HOS regulations. (lots of letters eh?) Until both drivers have a complete and official CDL the truck cannot operate like a true team.

I hope this helps - Scott

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Elton;
Scott hit the Hours of Service Regulations regarding teams and learner's permits on the head. Your question seemed to be geared towards if there are any companies that allow holders of a temporary CDL to operate as a team? Most companies hiring criteria will require a certain period of driving experience in the type of vehicle the driver will be operating. This hiring criteria is "driven" by the carrier's insurance company. This will limit your ability to obtain the needed experience. Check with the various carriers for their individual hiring criteria.
Thanks,
HotFr8Recruiter