Cargo Van Taking the plunge soon, advice appreciated

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hello All!

I started driving over a year ago, cargo van. Moved to flat bed and ran it for 6 months. Took some time off to ponder life while working a local job, and am finally committing to go owner operator with Van.

I have experience, but I still gat that nervous feeling, so I thought I’d run what I “plan” on doing, and any advice is appreciated.

First, vehicle.
I plan on purchasing a new/newer Dodge Promaster, gasoline engine, high roof longest, longest bed. The read I chose Promaster over the rest is the width of the vehicle. I’m 6’6” and while I generally curl up sleeping, I want a vehicle I can set up a bed across the width. That’s the primary reason for choosing Promaster.

Second, company.
I called up the company I had worked for before, they were a green light. I admit, ran some cheap freight at times, but in the long run, i made money. I’m open to other companies, but I admit the familiarity helps.

Third, insurance
When I trade I will just transfer over my current insurance, but before I decide I will make some Internet applications for million dollar coverage. Any places to prefer over others, I’m all ears.

Fourth, and lastly, New vs Used
I’m a little mechanically inclined, but not greatly. I’m leaning New if I can find a decent deal, because as the vehicle ages I’ll know it. I fear making a sizable purchase on a used vehicle that I will not have time to accumulate enough money to cover a breakdown. Is this fear unfounded? I’m definitely staying away from diesel. Beyond that, I don’t know if I’m letting worry of a older vehicle get the best of me.

A great big thank you to all responses.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hello All!

I started driving over a year ago, cargo van. Moved to flat bed and ran it for 6 months. Took some time off to ponder life while working a local job, and am finally committing to go owner operator with Van.

I have experience, but I still gat that nervous feeling, so I thought I’d run what I “plan” on doing, and any advice is appreciated.

First, vehicle.
I plan on purchasing a new/newer Dodge Promaster, gasoline engine, high roof longest, longest bed. The read I chose Promaster over the rest is the width of the vehicle. I’m 6’6” and while I generally curl up sleeping, I want a vehicle I can set up a bed across the width. That’s the primary reason for choosing Promaster.

Second, company.
I called up the company I had worked for before, they were a green light. I admit, ran some cheap freight at times, but in the long run, i made money. I’m open to other companies, but I admit the familiarity helps.

Third, insurance
When I trade I will just transfer over my current insurance, but before I decide I will make some Internet applications for million dollar coverage. Any places to prefer over others, I’m all ears.

Fourth, and lastly, New vs Used
I’m a little mechanically inclined, but not greatly. I’m leaning New if I can find a decent deal, because as the vehicle ages I’ll know it. I fear making a sizable purchase on a used vehicle that I will not have time to accumulate enough money to cover a breakdown. Is this fear unfounded? I’m definitely staying away from diesel. Beyond that, I don’t know if I’m letting worry of a older vehicle get the best of me.

A great big thank you to all responses.
New Promaster would work in my book if you can afford it ana hopefully most if not all kinks were fixed with the older versions.
What company are you going with and why can’t you use their fleet ins? Would be a whole lot cheaper. Hopefully that helps out a bit.

Solar

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thank you for your reply.

Yea, I hear of more people using the Promaster. I just want that extra width.

I’m talking to Fusion.
They, Fusion, have cargo insurance, but you have to have insurance between loads.

I have a handle on what I want to do, I just am open ears to advice, because I don’t pretend to know everything.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thank you for your reply.

Yea, I hear of more people using the Promaster. I just want that extra width.

I’m talking to Fusion.
They, Fusion, have cargo insurance, but you have to have insurance between loads.

I have a handle on what I want to do, I just am open ears to advice, because I don’t pretend to know everything.
Why don’t they have reg. vehicle ins?