Taking the easy way out...or not.

halfwaythere

Seasoned Expediter
Five years ago I met a guy with big dreams. We were going to see the world through the windshield of an 18 wheeler until we heard about expedite. Expedite rocks for me b/c for under a 1000.00 I could be driving a straight truck. We were looking to leasing a truck to get started . He had prior experience but I have a child under the age of 18 so the idea never got off the ground b/c I don't abandon my children...even for a paycheck. The timing will be right for me in 2010. The guy is gone but I still thinK I have what it takes to do OTR. I may have to start out alone which doesn't bother me. I am trying to look at myself from the prospective of the person who owns the truck I would be driving and the company I would be representing. I know how these people think b/c my mothers husband, not my dad, was a transportation manager for over 35 years in trucking and air freight. The odds are against your success so you have to do everything you can to sale yourself to the industry b/c word gets around and when your a woman you stick out like a sore thumb. I know b/c I spent 9 years in the military and grew up in a family of four brothers. I may be shooting myself in the foot if I look for a new partner to start a team with. I guess thats why they have this site for people who havn't got it all figured out yet. I'm not sure if posting my comments here will guarantee a response. I'm will respect and appreciate any and all ideas. I know that nobody can tell me wheather or not to ride alone or not but share with me some of the pros and cons of team vs. single driving. Some of you might have gotten involved in the industry b/c of a significant other and broke away for one reason or another and love or hate it. I better nip this in the bud b/c one of the things my partner would have to put up with is my gift for gab or is it a curse? Thank you for giving someone with a dream of driving a place to launch her interests.:confused:

Last edited:

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Halfwaythere, Welcome to EO. :)

The title of your thread "Taking the easy way out...or not" is a little puzzling to me. This industry, whether your speaking of Expedited or General freight hauling, isn't the easy way out as many people think it is. It seems that when jobs are scarce, people just think oh, heck I'll go drive a truck.
Expedite is harder for a solo because of hours of service, and teaming with a stranger has some definite problems as well.
That being said, if you are really interested in Expedite, then you've come to the right place. Read the forums, answers to most of your questions can be found there.
You didn't say where you live, but Friday and Saturday is the Expedite Expo and it's THE event for the Expediting community.