Canada Taking a short cut through Canada

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
This is an Intransit move.
Your carrier must be a :

CANADA CUSTOMS BONDED CARRIER.

All the big carriers are Customs Bonded.
The small carriers might not be. Don't think about posting a SINGLE TRIP BOND. It is very time consuming and expensive to do.

I'll take questions from the floor (board) on Canada Customs Bonded Carrier questions.

Trucker don

Expert Expediter
RE: Taking a short cut through USA

Now USA customs what to know everything about the load going intransit. Our Company now is going over the top. They are working on getting a US custom broker to set it up. The USA Carriers can cross Canada with out that Hitch.
It's only 30 miles different by crossing at Sarnia and then Emerson Via US 2. Their reason is that a Bambi will make less damage on a truck than a Bull Wrinkle (Moose).
With our expedited loads it been a pain crossing as the US Customs wanted to know everything about that load. With a UPS or Purator, who knows what your carrying on that railer. All I got was a BOL saying one trailer at 30000 lbs. And Big sealed envelope.

>This is an Intransit move.
>Your carrier must be a :
>
>CANADA CUSTOMS BONDED CARRIER.
>
>All the big carriers are Customs Bonded.
>The small carriers might not be. Don't think about posting a
>SINGLE TRIP BOND. It is very time consuming and expensive to
>do.
>
>
>I'll take questions from the floor (board) on Canada Customs
>Bonded Carrier questions.

||','''|''''''\__ ,___
| Trucker_Don | | | ||__|'__|___| |()))))))))))))))))
['''(@)'(@)"""''|(@)(@)

Catch me on the Road--or
-- on the Net
[email protected]

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
I think what is VERY important to consider when crossing Ontario - say from Detroit to Buffalo instead of rounding 'round the Lake is this...your truck must be sealable - if it is not sealable like a cargo van, they won't less you cross.

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

Education is the best defense against the media.

The Lord's Prayer is 66 words, the Gettysburg Address is 286 words, there are 1,322 words in the Declaration of Independence, but government regulations on the sale of cabbage total 26,911 words.

-----------------------------------------
Thanks For Visiting EO!
[p]
http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
They do allow cargo vans to go intransit. They just write "open" where they would put the seal number.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
HS,

I stand corrected.

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

Education is the best defense against the media.

The Lord's Prayer is 66 words, the Gettysburg Address is 286 words, there are 1,322 words in the Declaration of Independence, but government regulations on the sale of cabbage total 26,911 words.

Thanks For Visiting EO!
[p]
http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

Canadiannewbie

Expert Expediter
I have to add that it's at the customs officer discrection, the one handeling your paper work, that the open bond or intransit is issued when the vehicle can't be sealed.

So if you get the right one you may be Ok, if not be prepared to be sent back when trying intransit or wait until load can be cleared in case you're trying to bond the freight to later clear it at a sufferance wharehouse.

This is based on my own experience with the bond situation.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The first part of your answer is correct. It is at the discretion of the officer to allow you in without a seal. I have never been turned back and I don't know anyone who has, but I have heard that it can happen. The second part of your answer is about taking Canada bound freight "in-bond" when there is a problem clearing it at the border. For the newbies out there, this happens when there is a problem clearing your freight at the border. It's usually a problem with information on the invoice. If its a case where it will be the next day before it can be straightened out, you may be allowed to procede "in-bond". Many cities have locations known as bond sheds where you can go and finish the customs process the next morning and then you're not too far from your destination when you're done. Freight that goes in transit doesn't actually get cleared because it doesn't stay in Canada.