Tag Axle

Hyperdrive

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Looking to install a tag axle on my 2007 Sterling Class 7 straight truck. Anyone know a place that could do that work. Looking for good work at a reasonable cost.
If anyone could help I would like to have a price range for that type of work. Also how much weight could I carry after the installation?
The truck is now registered at 33000 gvw. My empty weight is about 21000.
I know almost nothing about this subject so any help would be greatly appreciated.

FREE TO FAIL

Seasoned Expediter
hey Hyperdrive, having had a sterling, I would tell you dont bother. The only tag axle worth putting on that pig of a truck is the Watson Chalmers Ultra light Sl series which weighs in at 978 Lbs with rims and tires. This lift axle has a payload of around 9k so you only pick up about 8k of payload. The real problem with this truck is the dog of a motor they put in it. The MBE900is a crap motor with no guts, coupled with the allison auto six is is just miserable to drive with any real weight on it. Forget mountain driving all together. And of course the fuel economy blows when this truck constantly shifts up and down on grades.

matlack

Expert Expediter
Here is a shop that does that kind of work.
I used them in the past as they had a brand new spring in stock that the factory dealerships I that I had checked with would have had to special order.
They sell and install Tag Axles.
It is good to set up an appointment as they have a large business repairing dump trucks.
Reasonable price and fast service from my experience.
They have been in business over 75 years.

Auto Spring

1323 North Liberty Street
Winston-Salem, NC 27105-6600
(336) 723-7001

zero3nine

Veteran Expediter
Looking to install a tag axle on my 2007 Sterling Class 7 straight truck. Anyone know a place that could do that work. Looking for good work at a reasonable cost.
If anyone could help I would like to have a price range for that type of work. Also how much weight could I carry after the installation?
The truck is now registered at 33000 gvw. My empty weight is about 21000.
I know almost nothing about this subject so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Whoa! Why is your empty weight so high? You must have railgates on all three sides of the box???

fired at you from my Droideka

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
I believe his empty weight is so high because he partners with my wife's clone. My wife packs EVERYTHING. But then again, I eat very well, and she mended two things with her sewing machine as I navigated rush hour on the 401 in Toronto this afternoon.

Most of the Sterlings with the 96' bentz sleeper and NO pusher or tag axle are not true "D" trucks. In other words, they can't carry the weight they've contracted to do. Bare bones, tanks half-empty, no personal goods in the sleeper, I do not believe they can scale a 13k load.

Mine is an '06 with a pusher and a liftgate........and an a**load of ....um....'stuff' in the sleeper.

I do believe my truck would struggle somewhat in mountains with a real heavy load. Motor is a bit of a dog.

Hyperdrive

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
The unloaded weight is about 21000 lbs. That is full tanks and sleeper loaded. With my other half and I and the dog loaded in to boot. I have the 330 hp engine, tho not a rocket is does fairly well on hills.
Not looking to carry a massive amount of weight. Want to cover 13 to 14000 at most.

Thanks for your input guys.
Mike

Last edited: