TA verus Pilot

Are you willing to give up the .05 fuel discount?...for a TA program

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The problem really was the way the poll question is worded. You are asking if people will give up a quasi well-defined and known entity (.05 fuel discount) for an undefined entity ("a" TA program, whatever "a" means). That's like asking someone if they would be willing to give up their current girlfriend for a blond. Unless something is seriously wrong and highly objectionable with the current girlfriend, there's no way to answer that question without significantly more information about the blond. For example, if the blond came with a 20-50 cent carrier fuel discount, yeah, maybe.

I'd like to be able to use the FleetOne card at locations other than PFJ, like the TA/Petro, and even at other places where the FleetOne card is accepted, like a couple of the fuel stops here at home that accept FleetOne cards, but not the Load 1 FleetOne card, regardless of what program they may have, because, as others have stated, PFJs aren't always around when you need fuel. It's about more than "its a shower...geez", it's about how we run our trucks and business out here. The fact that in a van you need 3 fillups at a TA to get a shower should tell you that it's about more than "its a shower...geez". Showers are important, more important to some than others, but the showers aren't the primary factor for most. I've had as many as 18 showers on my PFJ card, which is a lot considering you can only use one within a 24 hour period. LOL

At my previous carrier using a Comdata card at a TA/Petro was a better deal than using the Comdata card anywhere else, even considering Comdata fees, but I also used it at PFJ when I needed fuel and there was no TA/Petro around. At Load 1 using the FleetOne card at PFJ is the better deal. By the same token, if the current program we have at PFJ is based on exclusivity, then losing that program for the convenience of additional locations would be objectionable.

So, it would be nice if we could use the FleetOne card at more locations, but not at the cost of losing the current program at PFJ. Despite only being able to use it at PFJ, it's a pretty good deal. I like it. A lot.

Thank you Turtle for putting it out there in a manner some might better be able to understand....most appreciated.
oh and you seen the part where it will be increased soon to .06 cents?

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
no need to apologize, its discussion. suppose to be this way, just as long as nobody takes their ball and goes home all is good.

them theres the rules.

reminder, #1 / we're all family
#2 / we're all big boys and girls

we to are guilty of pushing on john for a better discount program and changing fuel stops. we had a very in depth conversation about this. john explained how and why and what he needs to do. while it may not be what we like we do have choices as he pointed out earlier. when a better program is presented we are sure we will get it. you all know he is always looking out for our and his best interest.

next is there seems some confusion on cards, we are not talking about changing card companies just programs fleet one has to offer. fleet one has a discount program with t/a petro so you dont have to give up your fpj discount to change to t/a petro. maybe thats where the confusion is. we are against going to comdata also, but thats not what we are talking about.

nastc was mentioned, that is a program that fleet one is associated with but for reasons, john isnt interested. john wants a simple xx amount off cash price at whatever fuel stops we use. the biggest problem, which i mentioned before, or at least what stood out to us when we had our conversation was the the confusion that the floating discount program creates for him and payroll. we fully understand where he is coming from on this point. to many complaints and calls saying you charged me this amount and i thought it was this or people simply not knowing what they are paying.. as i stated before and as you all probably know also, there are people who are clueless when it comes to their business. we have all talked to them and yes i do mean here at load one. for as many true business people we have here, we also have the clueless who keep track of nothing. the one thing we all are sure of is that when a better discount with fleet one presents itself we will get it.

Your right. I think some folks don't know how the Fleet One system works.

I had my own Fleet One card. I think the monthly fee was $5. I could use it anywhere that took Fleet One. It acted like a credit card also. Then at the end of the week, they would automatically deduct the expenses from my checking account. No need to use 2 cards at the pump. I think I got a 1% discount on each billing for all purchases at all locations. Shower credits accumulated with who ever loyalty card.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Thank you Turtle for putting it out there in a manner some might better be able to understand....most appreciated.
oh and you seen the part where it will be increased soon to .06 cents?
You're quite welcome, and yeah, I saw that .06 thing. Excellent. Every little bit helps. I've done the math elsewhere, but if you get 15 gallons at a PFJ, subtract the .05 (or soon-to-be .06), and then also subtract the retail price of a shower, you will see you are getting quite a discount at PFJ. I'll do it again. $4.00 a gallon, 15 gallons, is $60. I'll use the .06, so subtract 15 times .06 is 90 cents so it's $59.10. Subtract $10 for a shower and you've paid $49.10 for 15 gallons. $49.10 divided by 15 gallons is $3.27 a gallon. That's a serious discount, and it's quite a bit better than the average carrier discount at TA/Pilot with showers figured in.

Of course, if you let the showers expire and don't use them, all you're really getting is the .06 discount. But that's still .08 or .09 cheaper than paying cash at the TA/Petro with no carrier discount. In that case, if you don't use or need a shower at PFJ, then going off-exit to a Speedway (because of the Speedy Rewards) for ten cents or more less than the cash price at PFJ is a better deal. I was in La Place, LA at the Pilot last year where the Chevron across the street was .28 per gallon cheaper than the cash price at the Pilot. It all adds up.

On a side note, would you be willing to trade in your current girlfriend for a new model? :D

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Your right. I think some folks don't know how the Fleet One system works.

I had my own Fleet One card. I think the monthly fee was $5. I could use it anywhere that took Fleet One. It acted like a credit card also. Then at the end of the week, they would automatically deduct the expenses from my checking account. No need to use 2 cards at the pump. I think I got a 1% discount on each billing for all purchases at all locations. Shower credits accumulated with who ever loyalty card.

Ron..the B of A card I use a CC...I get the 1% and NO service charge...also 3% of my grocery bill at Walmart...

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
no need to apologize, its discussion. suppose to be this way, just as long as nobody takes their ball and goes home all is good.

them theres the rules.

reminder, #1 / we're all family
#2 / we're all big boys and girls

we to are guilty of pushing on john for a better discount program and changing fuel stops. we had a very in depth conversation about this. john explained how and why and what he needs to do. while it may not be what we like we do have choices as he pointed out earlier. when a better program is presented we are sure we will get it. you all know he is always looking out for our and his best interest.

next is there seems some confusion on cards, we are not talking about changing card companies just programs fleet one has to offer. fleet one has a discount program with t/a petro so you dont have to give up your fpj discount to change to t/a petro. maybe thats where the confusion is. we are against going to comdata also, but thats not what we are talking about.

nastc was mentioned, that is a program that fleet one is associated with but for reasons, john isnt interested. john wants a simple xx amount off cash price at whatever fuel stops we use. the biggest problem, which i mentioned before, or at least what stood out to us when we had our conversation was the the confusion that the floating discount program creates for him and payroll. we fully understand where he is coming from on this point. to many complaints and calls saying you charged me this amount and i thought it was this or people simply not knowing what they are paying.. as i stated before and as you all probably know also, there are people who are clueless when it comes to their business. we have all talked to them and yes i do mean here at load one. for as many true business people we have here, we also have the clueless who keep track of nothing. the one thing we all are sure of is that when a better discount with fleet one presents itself we will get it.

Sometimes taking your ball and going home is the wiser thing to do. Not all topics or people in a discussion are worth time and effort.

These are my rules.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
big boys dont cry, cant always be " my way or im goin home. least thats what my momma taught me !!!!! along with, always play fair.

Last edited:

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
My mother taught me to chose your battles and friends wisely. She also taught me some folks lips move, but only butter comes out.

My father taught me, take care of yourself first, cause no one else will.
If you don't, you can't take care of anyone else.

My grandfather taught me to never graze the cattle in the hay field.

My grandmother taught me how to sew without a needle and thread!