T-Val Tapes

nobb4u

Expert Expediter
I just heard from a fellow driver who was trying to figure out an easier way to scan data tapes to email in and decided to try just using camera to take a pic and email in to T-Val they said they just zoomed in and were able to take a pic and email it in to FedEx. Their main reason for doing this was to avoid giving up the space a scanner would occupy. Worth giving a try.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I just heard from a fellow driver who was trying to figure out an easier way to scan data tapes to email in and decided to try just using camera to take a pic and email in to T-Val they said they just zoomed in and were able to take a pic and email it in to FedEx. Their main reason for doing this was to avoid giving up the space a scanner would occupy. Worth giving a try.

We use a small scanner called Neat Reciepts. It is about the size as an un-opened roll of Ritz crackers. It works really well and takes up hardly any space at all. It scans it in and then we email to FDCC.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
We use a small scanner called Neat Reciepts. It is about the size as an un-opened roll of Ritz crackers. It works really well and takes up hardly any space at all. It scans it in and then we email to FDCC.

Yes,the neat receipts scanner works great. We have even used it to scan our run paperwork and e-mailed it to the Fed to beat the end of the pay period deadline.:D

ATeam

Retired Expediter
We also use the NeatReceipts scanner with good results. Beats the heck out of going to a truck stop every time you need to fax something.

We also use an online fax service for incoming faxes. People fax to our fax number and the service e-mails it to us as a .pdf document that we then print in the truck, using a small bubble-jet printer.

If your fax volume is large enough, these items will pay for themselves with the money you save on truck stop fax fees. Also consider the fuel you might burn if you are making an extra trip just to fax.

If the items did not pay for themselves, they may still be worth the money in the convenience they provide. It is no fun to be on a run and receive word that dispatch needs to fax something to us before we pick up or deliver. It is great fun to tell people "You can fax directly to our truck."

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
FedEx often emails us things, like hazmat reroutes etc. Save a lot of time and trouble. We will have to look into the online fax thing, we have needed faxes from time to time.

Where to you email run info? We have never tried that. Do you still send it in a trip pac? Tell me more!! Please!!

nobb4u

Expert Expediter
I try to avoid anything that is faxed, it is just too much trouble and most fax machines do not do that good of a job. If someone says something about faxing I immediatly ask if it can be emailed.

I have a printer, scanner, copier and I would never be without one. I scan all Canadian paperwork and T-Val tapes rather than faxing as it is much easier to read.

sweetbillebob

Seasoned Expediter
We are very computerized and like it. The computer is on a Jotto Desk Stand that I have attached to the dash instead of the seat. Makes it easier to get around from both seats. The computer is always on. It is used for GPS, DDL, Record Keeping, Internet, Bill Paying, etc. We closed on our last mortgage from the truck. The printer/scanner is mounted above the passenger set. I took the door off the small cabinet that is there, opened up the access, put in a alum. plate that was as large as the printer/scanner. Trimmed out the opening with vinyl, and carpeted the plate. The cable hangs down and hooks around the arm of pass. seat. Need to scan/print, just plug it in. All data tapes are nicely stored in the TVAL folder by run number. Fedex e-mails permits, directions, hazmat redirects, Canadian papers, letters sent to home... to us. We scan and e-mail all documents Fedex needs. When I need to fax, I email to Fedex and let them do it for me, (both my recruiter and our coordinator offer that to us). Just renewed IRP by emailing to Fedex, they faxed to IRP, emailed me back my receipt and temporary permit, (the plate will still come in the mail).

Be creative, find a permanent place for computer and printer/scanning so that they are always available without pulling them out and hooking the up. Before long, you will not even consider doing without them at the ready.

jansiemoo

Seasoned Expediter
Also, receipts scanned in using NeatReceipts software are accepted by the IRS. By scanning and backing up any necessary paperwork, we eliminate those 'disappearing ink' problems with most receipts. :)

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Also, receipts scanned in using NeatReceipts software are accepted by the IRS. By scanning and backing up any necessary paperwork, we eliminate those 'disappearing ink' problems with most receipts. :)

Correct, Mrs. Layoutshooter scans in 100% of our business reciepts. Sure glad she is good at that stuff, I am NOT!!:D