Synthetic Oil...........

tlang563

Seasoned Expediter
Just wondering how many of you all are running synthetic oil, I'm sold on it in my pickup. I've heard it helps fuel milage and better on the engine in cold starts. I've also been able to stretch milage between oil changes. How is it in the big trucks? Tom.

Jayman

Expert Expediter
I hear Amsoil is real good in big trucks. Good investment since it does stretch your oil changes and is better on the engine. But, its more expensive and you have to do an engine flush if you dont start out using synthetic oil when engine is new.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You don't want to start synthetic too soon or the engine won't break in properly. Even though there's a 15k mile interval I do my first change on a new engine at 5k and then follow the recommendations. I wouldn't switch to synthetic until the 20k change.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

TeamBud8

Seasoned Expediter
Alot of owners run Mobil 1 in their vans.What ever weight,I guess. I've seen 5w30 used before.This way they can change oil about every 10,000 miles.Maybe Mobil 1 Extended,would be good also.Dodge manuals recommend using 0w40 Mobil 1 synthetic,only in Sprinters,year round.Another additive,some owners use is MotorKote,and they swear by it.MotorKote is priced high,and Flying J sells it.

Jayman

Expert Expediter
Thanks for the info TeamBud. I am an additive freak. (oil and fuel) I may want to get some of that.

DocRushing

Expert Expediter
In 1998, when Marda and I wrote the specs for a new Volvo tractor with a Detroit 60 engine, I specified synthetic oil everywhere except the engine.
After the first 15,000 miles -- that is, at the proper time for the first oil change -- after the internal parts of the engine had pretty well worn together -- then I changed to Delvac 1 (the Mobil synthetic product for heavy-duty engines).
My intent was to continue with Delvac 1.
Theoretically, that approach appealed to me.
I thought it was right.
I still think so -- provided that no uninformed, insensitive, uncaring, numbskull, bozo screwball grease monkey -- or service manager -- screws up the program.
Unfortunately, though, two major incidents -- along with several smaller ones -- changed my mind.
At the Petro in Casa Grande, during a routine(!) oil change, after I asked for Delvac 1, the guys in the pit drained the crankcase.
Then the shift manager approached me very sheepishly and apologetically.
He said -- with much embarrassment -- that he had no Delvac 1.
Immediately, though, he voluntarily offered to give me a fill of regular Delvac oil -- and new filters -- with absolutely no charge whatever to me -- not even for the filters.
I graciously accepted his offer, and we parted on friendly terms.
Later I changed back to Delvac 1.
Two years later, at the Freightshaker dealership in Amarillo, when an urgent repair required a refilling of the crankcase, I repeatedly emphasized the need for topping off with Delvac 1, and I specifically referred to it as the Delvac synthetic oil.
The functionaries at the desk said that they would take care of it.
When I paid the bill, I saw that the price for the oil did not correspond to Delvac 1 but rather to regular Delvac.
The remainder of that conversation then quickly began to resemble a comedy routine by Abbott and Costello.
When I asked about Delvac 1, the response was "Whaddayamean?" or other likewise inspired and enlightened words to that same effect.
Even the service manager, to whom I quickly took the problem, claimed not to know about synthetic oil or to understand the differences between fossil oil and synthetic oil.
How can it be that in 2000 the service manager at a Freightshaker dealership did not know about that?
Anyway, in disgust, I then gave up and went back to regular Delvac oil in both our trucks.
Since then I've again stuck with regular Delvac.
To me, Delvac 1 is not worth the trouble or the expense.
To keep the engine warranty in force, I needed to use only extreme-service oil filters and to change them mid-term (and get an oil analysis) at 30,000 miles (with oil changes at 60,000 miles).
The manual for the engine in our new truck calls for oil-change intervals of 25,000 miles -- even with regular fossil oil.
Our new truck has synthetic oil everywhere except the engine.
I intend to keep it that way -- with regular Delvac oil in the engine.
Maybe I would get a different result in 2006.
But I feel no need to change from regular Delvac oil in the engine -- especially with the 25,000-mile intervals with fossil oil.
I do not seek to persuade anyone else to adopt my views.
I just report what happened to me, and what I've done about it.
As always, best wishes to all,
Doc.

TeamBud8

Seasoned Expediter
I forgot to add about the MotorKote,they sell it by the gallon jug.Meijer department stores also sell it.

unorthodoxneon

Expert Expediter
>You don't want to start synthetic too soon or the engine
>won't break in properly. Even though there's a 15k mile
>interval I do my first change on a new engine at 5k and then
>follow the recommendations. I wouldn't switch to synthetic
>until the 20k change.

Ok, got to ask this question then. Why is Synthetic oil the factory fill on many cars like the Viper and such.

Most car makers now say there is little to no breakin with the new piston rings they have out now so you can throw in synthetic right off the bat as the rings seat quicker/easier then before.

(i knew 2 years of engine building classes paid off for some reason :+ )

o2man98

Expert Expediter
>I hear Amsoil is real good in big trucks. Good investment
>since it does stretch your oil changes and is better on the
>engine. But, its more expensive and you have to do an
>engine flush if you dont start out using synthetic oil when
>engine is new.

AMSOIL has been real good in many types of vehicles from Powersports toys to Cat powered Pete's. AMSOIL has oils available for just about any application you can think of including a new CJ-4 oil for ULSD. You do not HAVE to do the engine flush before changing to AMSOIL.

Also available from AMSOIL are Donaldson and WIX filters in addition to the AMSOIL By-Pass filter kits for additional filtration and even further oil change intervals.

I am an AMSOIL Direct Dealer and am going to make an offer to anybody here that is looking at trying synthetics. I will offer you any products that I have access to AT COST if you would like to try AMSOIL. Simply contact me and I will process your order directly through my dealer order form at cost.

You can forward any questions to [email protected] and I will respond ASAP. I will be happy to help out ANYBODY interested in this.

We do have what is called the Preferred Customer Program which enables anybody to purchase at wholesale pricing. I have instructions posted here: http://www.modernoils.com/Purchase_at_Dealer_Cost.html

I look forward to assisting all of you,
Ken
http://www.modernoils.com/