Switching to Panther II.....

RobZip

Expert Expediter
My truck owner called earlier today and said she is switching her fleet over from FedEx to PantherII. She gave me the option of moving or staying with FedEx. She has 4 B units, and is aware of my plans to make a change in employment soon.

Honestly, the need to do something is very obvious, so I have applications in process now to move to regional tractor trailer freight carriers. I'm only going to make one move - either to the T/T freight carriers or to PantherII. I like what I do in expediting, just don't get to do enough of it.

I'd like to hear from anyone who recently has moved a B unit from FedEx to PantherII about how it has worked out for you. What length of runs are you getting? What is your usual wait time while laid over?
How many miles do you run in a week and what are you grossing, if I might be so nosy? Well... I will be nosy - after all we do this to make money so asking the $$ questions is a must.

This post is not meant to be bait for bashing FedEx. I'm well aware of the positives and negatives of the company so wading through someone else's spew won't contribute to getting meaningful answers.

This crossroads has been on the horizon for a while now and the time has come.. I need to decide real soon which way I'm going to go and would appreciate hearing from anyone who has already made this particular change.

Drluvv

Expert Expediter
Brother it doesn't matter which company you work for, for some if not all are feeling the burn now that expedited freight is down. And with all the cut throat crap thats going on with the cost cutting, its even harder to make a buck even with a load going more than 100 miles. Your best bet would be to drive for a company that handles regular freight untile things pick back up.

The MAN, The MYTH, The LEGEND

BIGRIG_787

Expert Expediter
ROB I DRIVE FOR THE SAME LADY YOU DO AND I M GOING TO PANTHER. I CAN SAY THAT YOU COULD NOT ASK FOR A BETTER OWNER TO DRIVE FOR HER AND HER HUBBY ARE TRULY GREAT PEOPLE . THAT CARE ABOUT THERE DRIVERS. BE SAFE OUT THERE TONY:+

RobZip

Expert Expediter
Well hey - good to know who some of the rest of the team is. Agreed - Barb and Gary are 2 of the finest people you could ever ask to work for. They take good care of their equipment and drivers and deserve to get more back out of this than the current deal at FedEx is giving them.

I'm out to talk to one of the local regional T/T freight carriers this morning. I may be making the switch soon if they give me anything to work with.

The deal I made with Barb is that if this company hires me, I'll return the van and she can switch the contract over to Panther. If I stay in expediting, she's going to keep me informed on what kind of runs the Panther vans get. If it works out that making the switch is the best deal, I'm only 150 miles from Akron/Medina area and can be there the next morning to get equipment switched out. 'Should be interesting over the next few days.....

winemaker3279

Expert Expediter
RE: IMPORTANT!!!!!!!

I'm not sure if this will help you or not, but here goes. Last night I talked to a Panther II driver. He drives a cargo van. I asked how business was. His reply; "Business is so good that today I'm quiting!" He is a driver for an owner. He has been out five weeks and has ran 11 loads. He was very pissed and planed to take a bus back home from Detroit to Florida. He said they finally received a $1000 check, in which he took home $178. He said Panther II took the rest for insurance, qualcomm etc. He said that Panther puts too many vehicles on. I realize different size vehicles run different. Panther II was one of the companies I was thinking about going to. I have talked to 3 or 4 drivers from the so far. All except this guy have been there 4 or 5 weeks only and loves it. This guy has been there for a few years. This kind of answers a question for me. I have been wondering why the people I talk to are all new. Maybe Panther II spoon feeds their new drivers for awhile. Or maybe this guy just pissed them off. Whatever the case, I have decided not to go with Panther II myself. This guy was very believable to me. His statements were enough to push me over the edge and make this decision. Good Luck to you.

The best defense is a good offense...thank GOD I'm offensive!!!

Bob and Hooligan

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Panther II

I have been with Panther II for about a year and a half. Prior to that I was with Fed Ex Custom Critical. I have not regreted the switch even once.

The company has always been fair with me. I get at least twice the runs I got with the other company.

If you do switch, talk to both drivers and the company about layovers. You don't have to sit several days waiting for runs.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Road Hooligan

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
RE: Panther II

>I have been with Panther II for about a year and a half.
>Prior to that I was with Fed Ex Custom Critical. I have not
>regreted the switch even onGlad to see your still around! And are doing good.
>
>The company has always been fair with me. --- Do you mean PantherII? I get at least
>twice the runs I got with the other company.
>
>If you do switch, talk to both drivers and the company
>about layovers. You don't have to sit several days waiting
>for runs.
>
>Good luck in whatever you decide to do. --- Don't stay away so long! How is Hooligan?
>
>Road Hooligan

winemaker3279

Expert Expediter

Hey Road Hooligan!! Just wondering what size vehicle you have with Panther II.

The best defense is a good offense...thank GOD I'm offensive!!!

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member

Holigan...Bob, our female JR terrier is about to have another litter....stop on by.

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

-----------------------------------------
On the keyboard of life, always keep
one finger on the escape key.
http://www.expeditersonline.com/fastcomputer.gif
-----------------------------------------

Bob and Hooligan

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

I drive a van. You should do better than with the company you are with now.

Lawrence,

So Hooligan is going to be an uncle again! That's great. We will stop by next time we are in the area.

Looking forward to the EXPO.

Bob