Swing-Away rear cargo bumper

Grumpy Grandpa

New Recruit
Researching
US Army
I'm considering putting a swing-away bumper on my van to carry a smallgenerator and tool box. Any thoughts or recommendations? The Van is coming from the manufacturer with a 2 inch receiver.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks... any recommendations?

Battery depot in the Cambridge, Ohio area is where many get theirs built custom by this guy. It looks like he does a pretty good job, well built. I've never used one or his, but seen his work. I just tried to upload a picture of his business card, but once again, this websites browser is being bi- polar today. Here is his contact information:

Battery Depot
1401 Campbell ave
Cambridge, Ohio 43725
740-432-2000
Kevin Sowers

Grumpy Grandpa

New Recruit
Researching
US Army
Thanks. I look into it. Maybe difficult unless I can do it via email, phone and mail... common problem with getting anything of quality...

roadeyes

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Do a google image search for "(insert your vehicle here) van door ladder tire generator mount"
Lots of choices for mounts that attach to and swing out with the doors that shouldn't impact door opening width for freight.

I like this one....

Even if you didn't go the ladder route, there's lots of choices today that are less obtrusive than going with a hitch mount imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grumpy Grandpa

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Mr. Dan the wolf, I like your setup so much. I have basically the same setup, but so much more uglier. Yours looks nice.. It is very convenient up front, out of the way. I never cared for the rear swing out arm setup. It amazes me just how many use this setup and don't have their rear license plate relocated so it can be seen properly. However, each to his own....the replacement van will be a slide out behind the drivers side rear tire enclosed generator box, out of the way...

Grumpy Grandpa

New Recruit
Researching
US Army
LOL.... I've come to the conclusion that Expediters are a true representation of American Diversity; even when it comes to where/how to put a generator. Got to love it.

Reactions: danthewolf00

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Fyi the red tank was a 4 gallon generator tank that I got off ebay to keep my ac running on the weekends when parked.....also it was hooked up to a honda 2000 generator.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
If I was to get back on the road with a van I would do it the same way I did it because you can work on the generator when needed.
And change the inline fuel filter I put in to keep the crap out.

Grumpy Grandpa

New Recruit
Researching
US Army
That all make since... I'm just not sold on the front end carrier... seems to be expensive... at least I've got time to figure it out... I pick up my van mid November so I shouldn't need to use a.c. for awhile.... LOL

Reactions: danthewolf00

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
I sold the van back in 2019 to a idiot who took it off and even screwed up the wires to the espar when I told him not to mess with the wires under the drivers seat.
Yes, sometimes there are those who like to screw up a perfectly good working setup...lol...than get mad when I doesn't work properly after them screwing it up...lol.

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
That all make since... I'm just not sold on the front end carrier... seems to be expensive... at least I've got time to figure it out... I pick up my van mid November so I shouldn't need to use a.c. for awhile.... LOL

Expensive? Hardly. A front frame mounted hitch made by Curt industries and a Harbor freight hitch mounted basket is what I used.. now, those unibody type vans I'm not so sure about, as there really isn't much up front to go with.