SW Ohio (Cincinnati/Dayton) Recommended Carriers

Phoenix4774

Seasoned Expediter
Hi,

I'm considering trying to get on with a good otr expediting company, and was wondering if anyone can recommend any with a hub in Cincinnati where I live or Dayton.

I have a CDL B (and am now studying for Hazmat) and two years commercial driving experience, though almost all of it was regional driving, in both straight trucks and vans. I have a clean driving and criminal record and a BFA. I would like to get hired through an owner operator for a fleet I guess, in probably a van at first. I've been trying to read the forum, if anyone has links to good info please link.

I saw a link to a guide for picking a carrier by Phil somebody, but lost it. Anyone have that one?

Thanks and happy driving,
Walt

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Any reason why the carrier must be based in THIS area? If it's OTR work, the carrier can move you from wherever to wherever. No need to visit a terminal every time, like you would with your local courier company.

Phoenix4774

Seasoned Expediter
Hi Jefferson,

I'd read and imagined that if the company had a hub in this area, there may be more of a chance of having runs to and from here so I might get by home more often is all.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Hi Jefferson,

I'd read and imagined that if the company had a hub in this area, there may be more of a chance of having runs to and from here so I might get by home more often is all.

You live in the expedite mecca. Lots of companies have freight in and out of there, because there are lots of places that use expedited service, ie. manufacturing, in that area. The bigger concern will be reasonable expectations for getting home, as well as a company who whose dispatchers will work with you in order to get you home when you need to.

Freight doesn't always go where we want, when we want it. That being said, you may find that you will go through your area a lot. The downside to where you live, is that it is an area where tons of expediters live, which may cause it to take a bit longer to leave after a holiday.

Phoenix4774

Seasoned Expediter
You live in the expedite mecca.

Yes, the early morning praying to the travel gods over the loudspeaker is getting really annoying... I actually didn't realize Ohio was a good base for expediting until reading the boards.

The downside to where you live, is that it is an area where tons of expediters live, which may cause it to take a bit longer to leave after a holiday.

Yeah, I can see what you mean. Thanks.

If I went with a company not from my area, how would one arrange to drive with/for a fleet owner. Should I call the company and see if anyone needs a driver with vehicles close to my area?

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Expedite is a non directional form of trucking.We are called upon to pick up and deliver loads that someone else,neglected to pick up on time.if your lucky you will get loaded with in a couple hundred miles of home,or if your not in a hurry to get home,you could eventually get loaded close to home.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Is anyone going to mention the fact that most expedite carriers don't have 'terminals'? (unless you count phone terminals)

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Is anyone going to mention the fact that most expedite carriers don't have 'terminals'? (unless you count phone terminals)

Lots of expedite carriers have terminals, even if you don't visit them often.

Many carriers have large warehouses and do expedited distribution. They get truckloads in, break them down and shoot them out everywhere!

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
If I went with a company not from my area, how would one arrange to drive with/for a fleet owner. Should I call the company and see if anyone needs a driver with vehicles close to my area?

Well, I am the owner/president of a small carrier (full disclosure). I own a few trucks but have no openings right now. We have no other fleet owners here, only o/os. I think the first step would be to contact a carrier, get approved with them, and them they can connect you to a fleet owner in their service. Or if you happen to become acquainted with a fleet owner through this site, you can pursue the process from the opposite direction.

Phoenix4774

Seasoned Expediter
Ok thanks, I won't limit myself to regional based companies. Sure is a lot of info to digest here, I guess I need to figure out if I want to offer to team, drive for a fleet owner, or become an o/o.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Lots of expedite carriers have terminals, even if you don't visit them often.

Many carriers have large warehouses and do expedited distribution. They get truckloads in, break them down and shoot them out everywhere!
Not to be argumentative, But would you care to list true 'terminals' that expedite carriers have. Yes they do have some warehouses around but that is not a terminal. Switch docks are not terminals. Expedited Freight normally goes from shipper to consignee because of the nature of the freight.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Not to be argumentative, But would you care to list true 'terminals' that expedite carriers have. Yes they do have some warehouses around but that is not a terminal. Switch docks are not terminals. Expedited Freight normally goes from shipper to consignee because of the nature of the freight.

I stand corrected then. You are obviously in the know.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
I stand corrected then. You are obviously in the know.

A little testy today are we? Care to say how many Expedite Carriers Terminals you pick up at in a week, month, year?I don't claim to be in the "know" nor did I try to push your 'buttons'. So take a deep breath.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
A little testy today are we? Care to say how many Expedite Carriers Terminals you pick up at in a week, month, year?I don't claim to be in the "know" nor did I try to push your 'buttons'. So take a deep breath.

Hardly. It is irrelevant to the question of this thread though.

Phoenix4774

Seasoned Expediter
I am registered and plan to attend the expo, which I'm sure will be interesting.

I've been reading previous threads about good carriers for solo vans and straight trucks. I suppose I'll apply to a few to be linked to a fleet owner and worry about getting my own vehicle on down the line.

Thanks.