Straight truck spec

Dkalasz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I am in the begining stages of getting ready to move back into a straight..the 2 i had before where class 7 city trucks so my experience with them is somewhat inapplicable. anyway i would like to get a list of good/bad trans engines and any tips.

what I know i want

class 8 rig
24 foot box
sleeper <big as possible with the 24 foot box>
gen set with heat/ ac
tag axle

what i would like to know is what engines/trans to aboid and what to look for. any tips on settting one of these up..I want to avoid being burned..any help apprieciatted

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
go with a class 8 better ride and made for the road
and last longer to
see tsi web site and freightliner of knoxville to

Brandy

Expert Expediter
Geo I'm driving a class 8 straight truck now. Those Class 7's don't even come close to doing what a class 8 can. My truck is a '98 Freightliner Century condo with a 72" sleeper. It has a Cummins ...... aww hell I can't remember it's a N.. something(I'll have to get back to you on that one) but it puts out 330/370hp and has a 9 speed Rockwell Trannie. I have two 150 gal fuel tanks and the truck gets 12.5 - 14.5 miles to the gal doing 55(in Ohio) and 10 -11 miles to the gal doing 65 - 70 depending on the load weight. This is the first truck I've driven with a Cummins and I love that engine, no matter how heavy the load is that engine never lets me down when I want to pass another truck going up a mountain. A 10 or 13 tranny would be better but hey you can't have everything right?

Sean

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
My Freightliner Columbia is very similar to the truck Sean is running, except it has a 12.7 Detroit S60 and Rockwell 10 speed. gets similar mileage, and has power to spare all over, and is as relaible as they get.
-Weave-

Lostmarbles

Expert Expediter
Weave, What rearend gear ratio are you useing? I would like to hear of other's ratios vs fuel mileage too. Thanks

Life is what happens to you while your busy makeing other plans.