still chicken-i recon

morningwood

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
ive been lurking around here for about 6 years now. when i first started looking at this i was looking for i new career for both me and my wife.at the time we were running a tile and marble business.had 9 full time employees and a few part time, and had 9 vehicles box trucks and vans.and was making money.we did that for 20 years,and was ready to move on.we then lived in florida ,now live in westvirginia.so we did make the career move and now i work for the state of westvirginia driving a tandom dump with a class a cdl.wife works a the local hospital as cma. we both hate our jobs and the pay really sucks. i really want to do this expediting thing in a staight truck and wife is ok with it too, as we have no problem being around each other 24 hours a day,we worked together for 25 plus years this is the first time since weve been together that we have separate jobs.im 52 and she 54.this state job i have has great benefits and would be a good place to retire some day around 10 years from now,but like i said we both hate our jobs and the pay sucks(me $10.80 her $7.85 hourly)and you cannot get any raises.i have read just about as many post on here as one could,i read and study this 3 or 5 nights a week for the last six years.i am very clear about the ups and downs ,the money and every thing associated with this as can be learned on here and other sites.we both know business inside and out and the good and bad about being self empoyed.it was hard to get out of the tile and marble business(20 years) and now i am having a hard time leaving our first real jobs weve ever had.we own a home and will maintain it.got no kids they moved on years ago.so i guess i need a push or something.anyone got any good advise maybe from some of you that has done this for a while.i feel i know a lot you from reading on here soo long ive made a few post but not many mostly just reading.its amazing the info and advise you pros give.i have also ate my share of popcorn reading.so give it to me.thank you all in advance.mike

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
Just a thought. Can you live on just your wife's salary! If you can then maybe the thing for you to do would be to check out the Driver wanted ads here,and sign up as a co-driver with an owner. The best way to learn is by doing. Have your wife start her CDL A or B training if and when you decide this would work for you. Then you and your wife Team in a owners truck for awhile,and go from there as to buying your own truck or not.Good Luck.

zanico

Expert Expediter
ive been lurking around here for about 6 years now. when i first started looking at this i was looking for i new career for both me and my wife.at the time we were running a tile and marble business.had 9 full time employees and a few part time, and had 9 vehicles box trucks and vans.and was making money.we did that for 20 years,and was ready to move on.we then lived in florida ,now live in westvirginia.so we did make the career move and now i work for the state of westvirginia driving a tandom dump with a class a cdl.wife works a the local hospital as cma. we both hate our jobs and the pay really sucks. i really want to do this expediting thing in a staight truck and wife is ok with it too, as we have no problem being around each other 24 hours a day,we worked together for 25 plus years this is the first time since weve been together that we have separate jobs.im 52 and she 54.this state job i have has great benefits and would be a good place to retire some day around 10 years from now,but like i said we both hate our jobs and the pay sucks(me $10.80 her $7.85 hourly)and you cannot get any raises.i have read just about as many post on here as one could,i read and study this 3 or 5 nights a week for the last six years.i am very clear about the ups and downs ,the money and every thing associated with this as can be learned on here and other sites.we both know business inside and out and the good and bad about being self empoyed.it was hard to get out of the tile and marble business(20 years) and now i am having a hard time leaving our first real jobs weve ever had.we own a home and will maintain it.got no kids they moved on years ago.so i guess i need a push or something.anyone got any good advise maybe from some of you that has done this for a while.i feel i know a lot you from reading on here soo long ive made a few post but not many mostly just reading.its amazing the info and advise you pros give.i have also ate my share of popcorn reading.so give it to me.thank you all in advance.mike

This sounds pretty much sounds like my situation. I have been "lurking" for around 6 years myself. My youngest is a Sophomore in college and I need to get her through, or close, before I can make the jump. I have worked at the same job for 29+ years and I'm done with it. It has changed sooooo much since I first began, (I'm a broadcast technician). Technology and automation has taken us from a 26 person department to 3, over that time. I do less and less technical work and more "busy" work. The pay is still pretty good, union, but I'm pretty miserable. Anyway...I'm in the process, studying, to get my CDL B. I've been to the Expo and talked to a few recruiters. I'm just waiting patiently and reading all I can.