Started expediting again after 7 year break

BiggMaNN59

Active Expediter
After 7 yrs off I decided to buy a 2011 Chevy 3500 passenger van, minus seats, with 6.0L and hired an old driver from Indy, IN to drive for me. So far so good. Rode with him last week to get the cobs out and now he is on his own. I live in Nebraska so driving to Indy and back deadheading was not cost productive but had to wait on title to get tags so decided to run while waiting.

Ran 2600 miles paid from last Tuesday afternoon from Indy to Saturday morning and made 2200/before expenses, and after expenses 950 to me and 650 to driver.
Total miles 5400.
Got a question.Would it be better to buy a Honda generator for heat or use a My Buddy propane heater?

Also want to switch to synthetic oil, is there any special kind to use?Thanks.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Insulate that really,really well...and you could probably get away with the Honda heat....propane can be so risky...and you' ll need an ice scrapper for the "Inside" windows.....LOL

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
At 2200$ for 2600 miles that's .84 a mile before expenses and a 600$ profit after you and driver. You also said 5400 total miles, so if that's he case and 2200$ then your all mile rate was .41 a mile. Don't know what fuel cost was since you didn't mention it but it doesn't sound very attractive. guessing fuel is in your 960$ and 600$ is profit to the truck, the truck made .23 a mile to cover the rest of its costs to operate, like maint. and ins. If fuel is not in the previous equation and is coming out of the 600$ then that's even worse.

Clear up a few things on fuel, where the 5400 total miles came from. Was that all deadhead for getting the loads and if not how much was ?

BiggMaNN59

Active Expediter
About 2600 +\- miles were paid miles. Rest were on my dime. 310 gallons used total for all miles at 990.00 cost. 450.00 for paid miles and average cost was $2.86/gallon. Settlement was 2200.00 and out of my 1535.00 share came 450.00 for gas and 250.00/week for van pmt and ins and oil/ maintance. Left for me 835.00 and paid driver 665.00. I have about 100.00 taken out for cargo ins etc before I get settlement. I am happy so far. Also have set route with another van in Nebraska for 1000.00/wk before exp.