Standing

Coco

Seasoned Expediter
Standing

The young girl stood and looked through the gl**** turning she spoke softly to the elderly couple next to her…”That’s my son”. The couple gazed back at the girl and then through the glass and smiled without saying a word. The girl stood in embarrassment and asked herself again….it this the right way to start a life?

For the first year of their lives together she stood in line for welfare. She stood in line for social programs and she stood in line for communion every Sunday sometimes boosting “This is my son.”

She stood in the doctors office unable to believe the words. “But…this is my son”. She stood with him through therapy and stares and to the unintentional comment and said, “That’s my son”.

After a year or so she stood in line at the employment office and eventually stood at the door of her future employer for an interview. All of the usual protocol was exchanged and the long awaited question was asked….”When can you start?”

She stood in line at the daycare holding her son with anxiety and fear. “This is my son, I need to enroll him full time. The next day she dropped him off and looked at the mother next to her…”That’s my son!

Daycare turned to Kindergarten and soon the Elementary School. School skits and holiday parties gave the little boys Mom plenty of events to proudly proclaim her relationship with her son. Along with proud moments came the duty of identifying her son as the culprit of bad doing. But that was her Son good or bad.

She stood at end of a picnic table at the company picnic and pointed to a tow headed child and said “That’s my Son” to a co-worker. She motioned for her son and introduced him to the man.

She stood in the reception line shaking hands and accepting compliments on the best man. “That’s my Son”, I’m very proud of him.

She stood and cheered for the homerun and shouted “That’s my Son.” And she stood at the commencement when his name was called and said “That’s my Son”

She stood on the porch and watched her son drive away then questioned what do I stand for?

I stand for responsibility
I stand for commitment
I stand for respect
I stand for discipline
I stand for spirit
And I stand for pride

Because that’s my son.

:)