St. Augustine and awesome weekend layover!

mypie

Seasoned Expediter
This past weekend we got laidover in FL. So, we headed on down to St. Augustine, rented a car and took in a very special B&B. Later we would learn that we would have been better off just parking at the J and calling a cab. Once we got downtown we were able to take one of the many tours on the Ripleys Red Train which makes 20 stops along the way and comes along every 15-20 minutes. We later learned that the train tickets were good for 3 days. Once we got downtown the rental car stayed parked while we walked about town, so we could have saved this expense.

We saw the Old Spanish Fort and they had a reenactment of a canon firing while we were there - AWESOME!

We drank from The Fountain of Youth. We're still waiting to see if we feel younger. We could have spent much more time there!

We went on one of the many, many ghost tours and got some awesome orb photos. We took the trolley tour and the windows were smoked so it was hard to see through them and get decent photos while we were moving. Next time I would take the walking tour or open air train tour instead.

We escaped the boredom of truck stop cuisine and took in some really great restaurants - stepping way out of our normal menu comfort zone and delighting our taste buds!

We walked and drove on the beach at Anestasia Island. We treated ourselves to an evening horse-drawn carriage ride about town, which was a bit pricey but we enjoyed it and our driver was quite the character and knew her way about town, making the expense nominal.

All in all we had the time of our lives and will quickly jump to do it all over again. I hope that if you're in the St. Augustine area you too will take in this oldest of American towns and its charms.

Beware that the streets are very narrow and not truck friendly, as well as parking is at a premium, so you will have to cab it or rent a car.

The Enemy

Veteran Expediter
Yes, the streets are narrow, but somehow, a very brave Panther Straight truck was parallel parked in the Square in front of the Bridge of Lions.

We were there 2 weekends ago. We have close friends that live in St. Augustine and we always stay with them when we are in FL. Its pretty much our second home. We love the area so much we are going to move there in 3 years. The area offers so much to do, from the beaches, to the little tourist traps, plus all the history down there. Not to mention you are about an hour away from Daytona and 45 mins from Jacksonville. One of the last times we were there we took A1A heading south along the ocean for about 80 miles, it was nice, stopping at different forts and attractions on the way. The first time I took Jenny down to St. A, I took her on a carriage ride, even though it was a bit pricey, we both loved it. If you get a chance to lay over down there again PM me and I will tell you about some good places to eat.

Falligator

Expert Expediter
I'm gonna have to check that out next time I get home. Ya'll should have gone to NASA being that close there was a shuttle launch last monday I believe.....It's great to watch the launch from the causeway if you can get to Kennedy Space Center in time...However; the traffic sucks when you leave because there is only one way back to 95 and it will take a long time. For anyone interested in Lighthouses you should also check out St. Marks Lighthouse...it's along the gulf just south of Tallahassee...I can't remember the name of the National Park it's in though.