Sprinter

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I maybe hanging up the D unit class and going down to a Sprinter at the end of this year. I have read about all of the horror stories about the EGR Valve but have also read that it is no longer a problem.
Questions to you Sprinter Owners,
1 How long is the factory warranty and can you get an extended warranty?
2.What are the recommended service intervals and do have to go to a F/Liner Dealer for routine maintenance?
3.Approximate MPG at 65 MPH. Thanks

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
This week I was at truckgen in jacksonville and it seems the EGR issue is semi-fixed. Shouldn't have a problem until 100,000 miles and you don't idle it. They had 5 sprinters when I was there and they were installing generators on them. The generator goes under the van.
Another concept I found interesting was I ran into a Landstar driver about a week ago in Waco. Sorry, I can't remember his name. He had a areo cell opr uni-cell that had a good size box on it. Nice sleeper too. What I liked about it was he carried ramps in order to get the back dock high. I can see where you could get extra loads as some customers request dock high only trucks. The chassis was a ford van dually. Was nice also because the inside of the box had no wheel wells and could carry I think 3500lbs without logging and close to 6,000 with a log. I think it could carry 4 to 6 pallets and milage was 12 to 14.
He said they were in the 35 to 40 range on price depending on diesel, gas ect. Sleeper, etrack ect came with it as well.
Davekc

gojack

Expert Expediter
1) factory warranty = 7/70 dodge warranty
2) extended warranty =
http://www.dodge.com/commercial/sprinter/index.html?context=homepage&type
3) recommended service intervals = 10,000 miles
4) Go to Dodge for service
5) I get 22.5mpg, speed and load do not seem to matter much
( I set cruise at 71 mph, I use GPS for Speed'o'``meter)

>I maybe hanging up the D unit class and going down to a
>Sprinter at the end of this year. I have read about all of
>the horror stories about the EGR Valve but have also read
>that it is no longer a problem.
>Questions to you Sprinter Owners,
>1 How long is the factory warranty and can you get an
>extended warranty?
>2.What are the recommended service intervals and do have to
>go to a F/Liner Dealer for routine maintenance?
>3.Approximate MPG at 65 MPH. Thanks
>

tazman

Expert Expediter
Hi,

Did Unicell build the sleeper ????

I have a working relationship with them in my business....
Let me quote you when you are ready.....

Ford E-450 will give you 14,050 GVWR
I think the E-350's are way to small to use for this purpose..

As to the ramps...I have a number of customers that carry them in racks outside on the frame.....they just pull them out whenever they need dock access....custom made units run about $400.

E-track is no problem........

The Unicell " claim to fame" is that they build a one-piece fiberglass body...similar to a boat hull.....as opposed to a "sheet and post" aluminum or a FRP (fiberglass-reinforced-plywood) unit
The "Aerocell" unit is a product offering of Unicell that has an aerodynamic "nosecone" built into the roof of the 'cutaway van'chassis.

I noted in a post that Supreem will be building bodies on the Sprinter chassis...however i don't think it will be a "cutaway" design. The Sprinter will have a separate chassis driver compartment not open to the body......I'm not certain about that but check out the Sprinter website.....

"The Beast in the East"

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
On the truck I had seen, it has the cone open inside and you could stand up from the drivers seat. Yes, he indicated the sleeper was from unicell. It was kinda built in the box. He carried his ramps in the cargo area.
If it wasn't 7:30 a.m. I might have remembered my camera. (duh)x(
Davekc

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
If I remember correctly, it came from a dealer in Buffalo NY

tazman

Expert Expediter
Makes sense about Buffalo..as thats
where Unicell has their plant...

That standup option actually goes cuts into the nosecone "aerocell"

Ford built Job #1 on the 2005 E-series yesterday.... a milestone for them in that they '04's were sooooo delayed....
Diesel 6.0's look like they will be plentiful...

Frank in Pa.

"The Beast in the East"

aquawarrior7

Expert Expediter
I think we may be doing the same so am trying to get info as well on what to buy. What made you decide to switch to a van, with everyone saying no one is hiring.
We got all excited about driving a van cause we could go where we want virtually and since we get offered a lot of b or c rates we figured why not. Then we started reading where everyone says not to switch cause companies only want D units. Are you gooing to find a good company for vans? Would love to know