Sprinter Vans

KandS2

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
We are just about to purchase a sprinter, when we spoke to our company's person that keeps track of us O/Os. He said our company's fleet has 15 sprinters signed on, and two have needed new engines after reaching 100,000 miles (one at 150,000 and one at 130,000). Obviously, as an expediter, this could pose a problem in a bit over a year. We don't want to have to get an engine in 18 months.

My question is, has anyone else heard of or had this problem? Any other problems we should know about?

Thank you!

KandS2

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
IF those stories are true, I hope the engines were under warranty. I would just LOVE to know what a replacement Sprinter engine costs.
-Weave-

Whiterabbit

Expert Expediter
Was makin my way home this morning abou 6am or so ,on the southfield eway here in the motor city and in front of me was this "truck" ,looked like it was all it could do to ,to maintain 50 mph ,the driver was all crouched over the wheel. you know the "profile",had a cell phone in his ear ,traffic was backin up behind him...one of the narrowest looking things ive seen . Reminded me of a tall vw microbus,said to myself,"self that thing looks topheavy" besides funny looikn...anyway to get to the point pulling alongside ,i suddenly realized it was a sprinter....Hmmmmmmm...better stop there before i hurt someones feelins....:)...Didnt see no auroura bourealis;s tho maybe tonight ...(solar flare thingee)....best to all!

Whiterabbit

Expert Expediter
well it was bout 6;30 am at 6 mi...unmarked spinter ,and had a trail of 4 wheelers behind her ,dont sound like your the kind to be doin 45 to 50 on the southfield especially when traffics not heavy,,,now thats a rarity...:)....hope yur sprinter works out for ya

dieseldoctor

Expert Expediter
while researching vans I talked to several people with sprinters. Most have had egr and injector problems. One driver had bought the 100,000 mile extended warrenty (which I understand is no longer avaliable. Wonder why.) Had four injector failures in warranty. Also had two egr failures. Dealer blamed all the problems on idling but driver didn't idle. After warranty expired had a engine failure requiring replacement. Reason engine required replacement was never explained to driver. Bill for replacement was $12,000. After driver raised a lot of hell with Freightliner they agreed to allow $4000 if they got old engine back. I know some people stretch things but I believe this person was telling me the straight of their experience. Now that van cost about $11,000 more than I paid for my Ford with lots of options. Even if the sprinter would cut my fuel bill in half it would take 5-6 yrs for it to save enough to make up that difference and then with the $8,000 repairs it will never break even. Even with a Powerstroke I figure it will take me 3 yrs to break even and since I trade ever 3 yrs I am going with another gas engine.