Sprinter Van Owner/Operator Looking to Run for Multiple Carriers

Vash14

Seasoned Expediter
Hello, I have been expediting a little over 3 years for the same company, and up until a few months ago it was in one of their leased vehicles.

I now own my own Sprinter, a 2003 2500 that has 112,000 miles and holds 3 full skids plus (160" length in the cargo area because my cargo cage takes up a little space). It's in excellent mechanical shape.

I'm now looking to run for multiple carriers, as I used to constantly run when I was in their leased vehicle, but now that I'm in my own the miles have gone way down. I'm assuming that is because they are paying me more per mile.

I like to stay out for months at a time and would much rather be out running than be home, and anyone at my company would tell you I am one of their best runners. I do not have a CDL license.

I know there is a section on this forum to apply for multiple carriers, but I prefer to run for smaller carriers that I have a better rapport with. I also know that because my Sprinter is a 2003 some of the larger carriers won't accept it. I live in Columbus, Ohio.

So who are some of the better small carriers to run in a Sprinter van with? Are there any issues I should look out for when running for multiple carriers? Thanks!

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You do realize van freight is way down for almost everyone. Some of the budget carriers might still be getting some decent miles. You are driving an older vehicle do you want to pile a lot of miles on it? If multi carriers are what you want go for it but don't expect it to be a magic pill.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC 123

Vash14

Seasoned Expediter
I have no problem piling the miles onto my vehicle, and i don't have issues also running for a budget carrier. I prefer to keep running and when the time comes I'll buy a new Sprinter.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I know there is a section on this forum to apply for multiple carriers, but I prefer to run for smaller carriers that I have a better rapport with. I also know that because my Sprinter is a 2003 some of the larger carriers won't accept it. I live in Columbus, Ohio.

So who are some of the better small carriers to run in a Sprinter van with? Are there any issues I should look out for when running for multiple carriers? Thanks!

If you are running with smaller carriers that you have a "rapport" with, wouldn't that be the carriers you would want to run with?

Vash14

Seasoned Expediter
If you are running with smaller carriers that you have a "rapport" with, wouldn't that be the carriers you would want to run with?

What that means is smaller carriers that tend to treat you more like a person than a number, thus having a good "rapport" with them.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
What that means is smaller carriers that tend to treat you more like a person than a number, thus having a good "rapport" with them.

Maybe. Sometimes for that courtesy they pay much less and sometimes much later. Issues with small carriers either not paying or slow paying are all over the place in here.
Sometimes being a number and getting paid on time has its rewards. ;)

Vash14

Seasoned Expediter
Maybe. Sometimes for that courtesy they pay much less and sometimes much later. Issues with small carriers either not paying or slow paying are all over the place in here.
Sometimes being a number and getting paid on time has its rewards. ;)

I can definitely understand that, but right now it's pretty unlikely that any of the larger carriers will take on a 2003 vehicle. The company I am running for would be considered a smaller carrier, but in the 3 years I have been there they have always paid me on time. Now paying less is another issue altogether.

I guess at this point I'm just trying to assess my options, and I will try to do my due diligence on any of the smaller carriers that contact me. Speaking of which, any carriers interested feel free to PM me :)

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
The biggest issue with the multi carriers that keeps popping up here on EO is pay issues. If you stick to the carriers that pay weekly, your not as likely to get burned...well, you won't get burned as bad..... if they disappear overnight like a few have in the last year or two. The key to limiting your losses in that situation is to not do anything for them after they miss a scheduled pay period. If you buy their excuse and keep hauling freight, there is a fair chance that your doing it for free.

The multi-carrier rates are generally lower than if you lease to one single carrier. The multi carriers will possibly keep you busier and hopefully keep the deadhead miles lower which helps compensate for the lower rates. Most of the rates that I am aware of with multi carriers are well below anything I would consider acceptable. There are some though that seem to be finding some better paying freight. If your going to do multi-carrier, you really need to find the better rates and a weekly settlement....in my opinion.

I'll throw this out there too, although I'm not sure how it all works or whether it will work with the different carriers. I personally believe that the only correct way to do the multi carrier thing is for the contractor (you) to have their own cargo insurance of at least $100,000. That would eliminate a lot of the concerns over keeping the customers freight insured. I don't think this is the way most do it, but I do believe it would be the correct way.

Reactions: QuickPUD

mzraik

Active Expediter
The biggest issue with the multi carriers that keeps popping up here on EO is pay issues. If you stick to the carriers that pay weekly, your not as likely to get burned...well, you won't get burned as bad..... if they disappear overnight like a few have in the last year or two. The key to limiting your losses in that situation is to not do anything for them after they miss a scheduled pay period. If you buy their excuse and keep hauling freight, there is a fair chance that your doing it for free.
Negotiate a settlement you can operate from. Whether it's 3 days and your paid, 15 days or whatever you need to work with. Look at the contracts very closely and if the payment terms don't match what you can work with, write in (Type in) what you can work with. Then, make sure you talk about the changes you made and that will tell you a lot about the intentions of the carrier to pay and how they handle disputes should they arise. If they can not conform to your needs, then you should move on to the another carrier. 30 days or more is way too long to float the fuel costs. You're not a bank nor a door mat, so don't act like one. This part is business and nothing personal.

The multi-carrier rates are generally lower than if you lease to one single carrier. The multi carriers will possibly keep you busier and hopefully keep the deadhead miles lower which helps compensate for the lower rates. Most of the rates that I am aware of with multi carriers are well below anything I would consider acceptable. There are some though that seem to be finding some better paying freight. If your going to do multi-carrier, you really need to find the better rates and a weekly settlement....in my opinion.
You can also negotiate every load. Either the money is there or it's not. Favors don't usually work out, and again, you're not a bank.

I'll throw this out there too, although I'm not sure how it all works or whether it will work with the different carriers. I personally believe that the only correct way to do the multi carrier thing is for the contractor (you) to have their own cargo insurance of at least $100,000. That would eliminate a lot of the concerns over keeping the customers freight insured. I don't think this is the way most do it, but I do believe it would be the correct way.

Running on your own authority!
1 Million Liability
350K Auto
100K Cargo

This is what most carriers are looking for unless they specialize. Some may require more, but the price differences become small from 100K to say 250K and so forth.

I quoted Rocketman and added my opinion, ofcourse.
I hope this helps.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
My advice for weekly pay has nothing to do with how long you can float the money. If your paid weekly, it lessens the amount they owe you at any given time. That way, if they belly up (like many have lately), you won't lose quite as much money.

I don't do the multiple carrier thing but I'm pretty sure that what your saying about own authority is for trucks over 10,000 gvwr. This guy has a Sprinter and can run with barely more than cargo ins and basic liability if I'm not mistaken.

Vash14

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks everyone for the feedback so far. Just out of curiosity, who are considered the budget carriers?

QuickPUD

Active Expediter
Researching

Thanks, Rocketman, for the post. Weekly pay is very important. Keeping the deadhead miles down and staying busy are concerns of mine as well.

When I was an CDL B/OTR Hiker, being contracted to multiple companies definitely was beneficial.

1. Example 1: Carrier A - Trip from Indiana to New Jersey (estimated 550 - 600 miles). After delivering vehicle, picked up Carrier B load in New Jersey to Southern California (2800 miles).
2. Example 2: Carrier A has delayed vehicle pickup in Maryland; vehicle not ready. Carrier B has hot delivery 10 miles away to Florida. I negotiated with Carrier A to keep the load, picked up Carrier B’s hot delivery, delivered Carrier B’s hot delivery on time, returned to Maryland via bus to pick up Carrier A’s vehicle and delivered it to Idaho.
3. Example 3: Carrier A wants me to deliver vehicles in Kentucky and would bus me there. But I secured a load from Carrier B to Tennessee and then Carrier A paid my bus fare from Tennessee to Kentucky, saving time and money to Carrier A.

Reactions: Masood