Sprinter Van or Straight Truck

Dresow

Seasoned Expediter
My wife and I are looking for opinions on going either way. Either we stretch our tractor and put a 22 Ft box on it or look at buying a Sprinter van. We would be running team but we also want to have some kind of a life. We have a 2003 Century Class. We have no home but have started buying land South of Tulsa Ok below 40. So we would need to get thru there to work on that project. Just looking on ideas and what the income would possibly be. Thanks. Dan and Mandy We are both OOIDA members, 7 years as a team clean MVRs the last 2 years with Landstar Ranger

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Why not pull a 53 for an expedite carrier? Bigger is better as far as load opportunities. Getting back to Tulsa isn't going to be the easiest thing to do. Good luck.

Dresow

Seasoned Expediter
My wife is getting tired of the 53 foot trailer. She wants to be able to get to more places. Parking is getting harder to find.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It's possible one of the recruiters may correct me since I can often be confuzzled about things however I believe you'll have more opportunities with the larger unit. You can always take loads meant for the smaller unit if you are the only one around but it won't work the other way around.

TRUCKMNGR

Seasoned Expediter
Dresow, If you were to pose this question to me from my companies point of view I would definately say go with the class 8 stretch straight unit. Remember, in a straight truck if the load is smaller you can pull it, in a cargo van if it is larger you have to pass it up. Also, if your OTR you are limited to living space in a Sprinter.
My company right now only has a few Sprinters which is fine because that is not a large part of our business but Straight trucks I can always find work for.
Again, you have this truck now and to stretch it and put a box on it you will have a nice class 8, so I would surely say go with the straight truck. I think if I still was driving and had my tractors I would surely do the same thing with them... Best of luck to you in whichever route you choose and please if I can be of any assistance let me know. I also have contacts for stretching a truck and can let you talk to some people who have had their trucks done and operate with my company.

Dresow

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks the for the information so far. We might just stretch the truck and get used to a company and maybe switch later to a van.

abcwine

Expert Expediter
Dresow,
Leo and Trkmngr have it right. Cargo vans are all over the place and just about any expediting company would drool over a team in a straight truck. I do realize that you are probably getting a little tired of driving a big truck, but I think you and your wife will enjoy the compromise between the tt and the van. With the straight truck, nothing is bending in the middle and there are more places to park. Like Trkmngr said, the sleeper is a huge savings and comfort for you now and some people that downsize to the van don' realize how much they miss that comfort of the living space. Also, the tandem that your class 8 would bring would also give you guys a little more accessibility to the market. We only lease on teams in our company, but the majority of our freight is long haul.

Good luck and any questions, feel free to contact me.

Thanks,

ABC

08CareerOTR

Seasoned Expediter
Dresow, If you were to pose this question to me from my companies point of view I would definately say go with the class 8 stretch straight unit. Remember, in a straight truck if the load is smaller you can pull it, in a cargo van if it is larger you have to pass it up. Also, if your OTR you are limited to living space in a Sprinter.
My company right now only has a few Sprinters which is fine because that is not a large part of our business but Straight trucks I can always find work for.
Again, you have this truck now and to stretch it and put a box on it you will have a nice class 8, so I would surely say go with the straight truck. I think if I still was driving and had my tractors I would surely do the same thing with them... Best of luck to you in whichever route you choose and please if I can be of any assistance let me know. I also have contacts for stretching a truck and can let you talk to some people who have had their trucks done and operate with my company.
I WONDER NOW!!!! I talk to other at your company and he told me to buy a Sprinter I could get hire on?????well Now I have been checking out Cube Vans with GRVW of 10.000 for my truck...will All-State take this truck>>>I live in Engelhard NC and am looking for company here to join>>>.Chris (Freys Hauling)