>Also these companies take on regular "2 skid" vans. Why are
>they making you change your Sprinter to hold 3? Are they
>going to pay you more per mile?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Apollo

Apollo,

Most companies that I've talked to DO pay more for a Sprinter, even if just a few cents. I just looked at Express-1's site, and they apparently classify Sprinters as a type of Non-dock high C unit.. paying C-Unit rates. That's the only company I've seen change the classification.

Therefore, I can see where they would be justified in requiring the whole 12 feet be availible for freight, as a C unit is required to have a 12 foot box.

I had Bentz sent me some specs on their Sprinter conversions, and they have a great conversion that has the bed going lengthwise along the side, fold up style, with the TV, above the side door. That set up would work fine for Express 1. Yes, you would be giving up the ability to sleep under load.... BUT... you wouldn't have the regulatory requirements of a true C Unit Truck.. That seems very attractive to me!

Just passin info!

Dreamer

Preacher

Expert Expediter
I still say it would be easier and cheaper to use a 15' Ford E-350 or GMC 3500 cutaway box van with pass through door rated at 10,000gvw. They aren't dock height but they don't have intrusive wheel wells to deal with. You could put a wall in about 36" back from the pass through door and build a sleeper in that space. You could install an RV door curbside with fold away steps, and possibly install a generator under the box for aux power to power an AC unit on the roof of the box over the sleeper area. You would be left with 12'+/- of floor space in the cargo hold with an ability to hold 3 or more skids, easy. With "Under 10,000gvw" stickers on the doors you wouldn't need to log or scale.

Preacher

Expert Expediter
RE: Preacher

Considering the cost of a new or even a used Sprinter, I can buy a cutaway box van for almost half the cost of a Sprinter. Even if I get 15mpg in my cutaway van and the Sprinter gets 20mpg, is it worth the extra cost for the Sprinter? In the Sprinter you still have wheel wells to contend with as opposed to a flat floor in a cutaway. This allows you to put 2 standard 40"x48" pallets side by side in the 86" wide floor of the cutaway. With 12' of box space left after using 3' for sleeper space, you can load 3 pallets deep, for a total possible of 6 pallets. How many pallets can a Sprinter hold? Will I get more loads and at a higher rate than a Sprinter because of more room and flexibility? The other factor to consider is that the Ford or GMC/Chevy has more available dealers to work on them and much higher parts availability than Sprinter.

Any comments on this?

Djcoak

Expert Expediter

Plus these trucks are a dime a dozen and parts are abundant both new and used! You could buy some old UHaul or Ryder trucks and have more parts than you would ever need! plus use the top part over the cab for a bunk. I love the ideas flowing on this site!

Djcoak

Expert Expediter

>But can the E-350 or GM 3500 compete on gas mileage with the
>sprinter?

I drove this set up ryder across the country towing my truck on a full size trailer and I don't recall the fuel cost as it was some time ago but it was pretty decent, even with all the hills I encountered. The purchase price difference would easily offset and gain in less cost in fuel and I am sure the Ford would have a lower repair cost as well as parts.

Preacher

Expert Expediter

If you could find or build a 10,000gvw cutaway box van with an attic above the cab, you could put the bunk in the attic and possibly have room for a toilet, shower, and sink. You would have to install some holding tanks and plumbing, but they can be found at an RV dealer. Just use the same tanks they use in cutaway van campers. If weight ever becomes an issue, just empty the tanks until your load is delivered. You could also install air bags to the suspension which would add up to 5000lbs more capacity. They are available for around $275 and are simple to install.

Preacher

Expert Expediter

AAHH! That is the BIG question, isn't it? Of course I don't see why not. As long as it is rated 10,000gvw or under and could load more bulk than a Sprinter, they probably would keep you fairly loaded and busy.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member

Preacher,
The problem here is going to be weight. Even tho you may find one rated under 10,000.. by the time you put all that stuff in, it will be too heavy to haul a normal van load.

I know this from experience. My brother bought a new Ford E350, with the attic, 12 ft box, and dual rear wheels. While it's a great running, comfortable truck, it's heavy.

Unless I'm mistaken, only the single rear wheel box vans are rated under 10,000... even if you add the air bag suspension(great idea, by the way).. you can't get away from that rating.

Now, you'd probably get away with it mostly.. but roll across the KY scales one time over 10,000.... there goes your bucks....

Dreamer

Preacher

Expert Expediter

I've seen several dual rear wheel cutaway box vans rated at 10,000gvwr. I have not see any with the attic over the cab. I would imagine you could have one built. The weight would be more, and certainly more than a Sprinter. You could always go higher than 10,000gvwr or use a Ford E450, but then you would have to log and scale. By the way, does KY require vans posted under 10,000gvwr to scale?

Sprinting

Expert Expediter

I do not have a sleeper conversion in my sprinter, but I do carry a hammock with me. I hang it from the ceiling with two large S hooks. I purchased the hammock on the internet and really searched for a good one. While I weigh about 125, this system sure works good for me. When I'm not using it, it stows against the wall neatly. Now with winter I've purchased a wooley blanket to wrap up in. I truley enjoy every chance I get to use it. This doesn't work well if I'm loaded, but rarely do I stop with freight. I still have room for 3 skids, not using any space for a sleeper and I do carry 3 skids often. I have no intentions on changing this set up, its great. I will someday change the flooring I installed, its wood, with varnish and chewed up bad. What reccomendations for flooring do you all have, working well? I do love my sprinter and would replace it with another sprinter next time. I really appreciate this site and have taken some good info from here, Thanks to all who contribute.

Preacher

Expert Expediter

Hey Sprinting.

I think orange shag carpeting on the floor would be cool, along with a mirrored ball hanging from the roof and some little fuzzy balls around the windshield. Just put in a waterbed for a sleeper and your ready to go! GROOOVY, BABY!

eldomike

Expert Expediter
Not sure how tall skids normally are but couldn't you build a sleeping shelf that the skid could be under?