Sprinter life expectancy

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm just a newbie here.and I'm just trying to make an educated descion before I throw a career away that once done I cannot go back. I'm not looking to start some kind of internet arguement. I drove tractor trailer for 10 years as far as oil changes from what I've read the mileage between is way different between sprinter/cv than an 18 wheeler so posting price differance has no bearing. And while some people don't keep track or don't care what they pay for maintance is their business. The bottom line is if you can't make dollars it don't make (cents) sense. I'm 50+years old I have a 401k,and savings that I'm not willing to part with to put a transmission in a vehicle unless I know I can recoupe it. Maybe this is just a pipe dream and I don't belong here. Thank you all for your input.

a maintenance number is just too vague, it moves around from year to year one year it could be high and the next real low.....the Total Cost Per Mile is a far more accurate number to use..

Last edited:

jeff4637

Seasoned Expediter
I totally understand maintenance cost vary year to year but if you take an over all maintenance cost over the period of the expectancy of the vehicle you have a better understanding of how much you can expect to spend per mile. Thanks. Jeff

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
Maint. Per year varies greatly! Example, in finishing up our tax prep today, in 2010 we spent over $8,000, where in 2009 it was only $4,000. Obviously as the mileage gets higher the cost of maintaining it does as well. To be honest, the only reason I have an accuarte number of how much our fuel per mile is, whether we run the Espar, or idle, or sit in traffic, is this handy little app on my phone that computes my fuel mileage, my cost per month, my cost per mile, and such.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
When it comes to cost per mile and the maintenance I just put back 10c a mile and at the end of the year for that vehicle balance it out. It's really a high figure for a C/V but I want some breathing room. What I don't use I put it towards a vacation and start over. I do my own maintenance so it's paying me at the end of the year.:cool:

jeff4637

Seasoned Expediter
a maintenance number is just too vague, it moves around from year to year one year it could be high and the next real low.....the Total Cost Per Mile is a far more accurate number to use..

That's what I'm asking sprinter owners for cost per mile for maintenance

jansiemoo

Seasoned Expediter
Maint. Per year varies greatly! Example, in finishing up our tax prep today, in 2010 we spent over $8,000, where in 2009 it was only $4,000. Obviously as the mileage gets higher the cost of maintaining it does as well. To be honest, the only reason I have an accuarte number of how much our fuel per mile is, whether we run the Espar, or idle, or sit in traffic, is this handy little app on my phone that computes my fuel mileage, my cost per month, my cost per mile, and such.

Which app? I assume it has options for customizing to take into account accessory fuel usage, from your post.

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
Which app? I assume it has options for customizing to take into account accessory fuel usage, from your post.

Its called fuel log. If figures your mp and and cost per mile. You can set it up for multiple vehicles and enter notes, which I do when we use the Espar, or idle. I have been using it for the last month.

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
Last year...about 4.5 cents a mile...

Last year ours was 7.1. That was including tires, all pm stuff and basic maint. Egr valve, glow plugs, water pump, and ac work and a few others.

Its higher than OVM's, but I am sure he drove more miles than we did as well, so the cost is spread out a bit more on his. I mean it varies. Say you drive 100,000 @ .10/mi vs 50,000 @ .20/mi for the same repairs. Plus another major variable is going to be if you do the work youself or have a dealer ship do it. A diy oil change on an 06 is around $80. If you get it done at a dealership its closer to $150. You have your constant variables of tires, oil changes, and filters, but that can change by how many miles you run as well. The changing variable would be your breakdown repairs.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The dealer where I go is also only $77 an hr shop rate...last year was routine main. water pump, glow plugs, and a couple pulleys and 2 belts..1 tranny and rear end service...NO tires.

The year before was a new tranny @ $4,000

another thing my motel expenses dropped by about $1200 a year since getting the sprinter

Last edited:

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
The dealer where I go is also only $77 an hr shop rate...last year was routine main. water pump, glow plugs, and a couple pulleys and 2 belts..1 tranny and rear end service...NO tires.

The year before was a new tranny @ $4,000

another thing my motel expenses dropped by about $1200 a year since getting the sprinter

U stay in motels, Im telling everyone ur making to much money,lmao. we all need a treat out here once n awhile,amen.