Sprinter Info

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
While doing research on Sprinters I must have signed up for a forum.

One of the members emailed this to me.

I thought my Sprinters friends might be interested.

Here is his post:

I urge everyone to R+R their plastic valve cover at every oil change
and inspect the injector compartment for any signs of leakage from the injector seat in the cylinder head. You can inspect the small diameter rubber fuel bypass hoses at the same time. You are looking for any abnormal deposits or discoloration around the injectors.

Removal for the inspection and the reinstallation is simple and fast. The bolts are 5mm ALLEN (NOT torx). The Pre '04 Sprinters have 8 securing the cover and the '04-'06 have 6 bolts.

If caught early you will simplify injector removal and safeguard your injector seat from further, more serious erosion.

Ignoring this condition will lead to possible breakage of the hold down bolt as well as severe exterior coking that may engulf the electrical connectors on the injectors and lead to a harness replacement as well as more time consuming injector extraction.

DO NOT allow someone to perform an emergency fix. I assure you, itwill not last. Kindly report what you find. And remember, YOU NO LONGER
NEED TO REPLACE THE CYL HEAD. I can help. Doktor A

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Is there any reason for keeping that cover on? I had three bad injecters, but didn't know it untill the tar like stuff poked out from under that cover.

The Enemy

Veteran Expediter
I am part of that forum. That Doktor A. Knows his stuff when it comes to anything to do with a Sprinter.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Is there any reason for keeping that cover on? I had three bad injecters, but didn't know it untill the tar like stuff poked out from under that cover.

Eddy... the easy to get at front 4 bolts and you can kinda pry and use a flashlight to see the injectors to make sure they still shine as new....I coulda sworn there were 7 of them little bolts?

Marty

Veteran Expediter
I know 2 Sprinter owners who have had to replace their entire engines due to this problem. The leaked fuel first turns to a tar like consistency and then hardens with time. At that point the injectors cannot be removed from the head and the bolts holding the head onto the engine can break during extraction.
The results are spending approximately $13,000 for a new engine or $10,000 for a rebuilt.