sprinter cube vans

camhami

Expert Expediter
My tentative plans are to spec a new sprinter 3500 cab/chassis & have a 14' cargo box installed. So far, I have not been able to find out if the sprinter cab/chassis allows for pass-thru into the box. One dealership had photos of sprinter cube vans, and those particular units where not pass thru. Dealer didn't know if pass thru option is available.

Anyone else have any info on this?

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
I would contact the conversion companys like Bentz at 1-800-664-2368.
The other thing is if you plan on hauling Haz-Mat the drivers compartment cannot be connected to freight area. I don't know if that matters to you? Good luck and keep us posted how it works out.

gojack

Expert Expediter
The Sprinters are not being shipped as cutaways yet., that would allow pass through to cargo box. Not a big deal to have it done ...but why do it?

Stoops in Indy area has Sprinters with Supreme boxes on display
Fyda in Cincy as well.,

Dave

camhami

Expert Expediter
>The Sprinters are not being shipped as cutaways yet., that
>would allow pass through to cargo box. Not a big deal to
>have it done ...but why do it?

I'd like to put a bunk area in the box like people are currently doing with regular vans. My thought is with the larger cargo box, I could get more area for bunk and still have decent room for frieght.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Here's one that I posted a while back, still had the pic saved... if you could get a pass thru, I see no reason why you couldn't build a stand up, wide body sleeper, and still have the required cargo room.

The only problem would be, the weight of that box.

It would depend on your company .. and how much they require you to be able to haul. For instance, some companies require 3000 pound capacity for van load if I remember correctly. Therefore, if you built a sleeper into this box, you wouldn't be able to haul a required van load, as the Payload is only 3100 ... as it is. Ad in the weight of plywood, bed, etc, you'd be too heavy. I believe some companies only require 2000 pounds capacity tho.

In contrast, I'd like to see a regular 3500 (dual wheel Sprinter) with the wheel wells modified to allow normal skids to fit. The second pic is what I'm talking about here.. It would still have the 9,990 GVR, but without the heavy weight of the box. Still have a standup sleeper, but haul more weight than a similarly equipped SINGLE wheel version, or 2500 series Sprinter.

Dreamer

=========

NEW 2004 FREIGHTLINER SPRINTER C3500SHC, 5 Cylinder Diesel Mercedes 154 HP, 5 Speed MB Automatic, 158" WB, Roll up Door, White, 14' Cube Van, 9,990# GVWR, 3,100# Payload, Step Bumper, AC, Cruise, AM/FM/Cassette, Rated 20+ MPG,

camhami

Expert Expediter
Thanks for the details Dreamer!

I've been wondering about curb weight of sprinter with a box and affect on capacity.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
No prob..glad to help out.

I do love that second pic tho, the black Sprinter... I'm used to seeing white ones, but I found that pic, and it looked tuff as heck to me! The paint changes the whole image in my opinion. Looks a lot more heavy duty.

The van customizer in me is seeing some chrome wheels, or at least simulators... some nice trim, maybe chrome around the wheelwells. .heck, I found a site that has running boards, and even pushbars for the front of Sprinters.. LOL.. you could make a ruff lookin beast outta one of these with a lil time and money..

Dreamer

hoosierjeep

Expert Expediter
Sprinter Cab and Chassis can not have a pass through as of now. that might change when they change the looks in 2007.

Hope this helps....and why not go with the 158" van?

Brad

Chicken Leg

Expert Expediter
Just talked to Supreme's Ga. plant today and they said they could take a cab and chassis and, since it has a rear window, cut from the window opening down to floor level and install a boot to, in effect, make a cut-away out of it. Said that the structural integrety would not be compremised. (I had the impression that if the window had not been there, then they would not do it). Said would probably cost around $1500 to do it. Alot of money for a hole. I guess it might be worth it if it was that important.:)

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That black one does look much stronger although that's just an illusion. If I were doing one and the company would accept it I'd go that way though and add aluminum wheels. That would be one fine looking van.