Sprinter cab chassis sleeper

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
I love it! How cool, and practicle!! Come on Knoxville freightliner lets get one on order, what do you think?

merkurfan

Expert Expediter
bunk is roughly (+/- .5 inch) 24X79 in size (2 feetX6.5 feet) so it would be a snug fit and it weights roughly 200 pounds.

from what I read on their site, it is installed by them at their site. Not sure if you can buy one un-mounted. It does look small but who cares if it meets DOT requirements, isen't it going to be mounted on a truck to light to matter? Of course, why spend the money on a sleeper if you can not fit comfortably in it.

I've seen some sprinters with boxes mounted on them, funniest looking trucks I have seen, they are bit narrow for the boxes I have seen mounted on them.

The main reason they are importing chassis' is for the emergency services. They had made several amulances out of the regular sprinters and have found them to be to narrow (same reason they stopped using regular E350 vans).

I don't know that I would ever own a sprinter, I am rather partial to the powerstroke with the right tweeks you can get 22-24 MPG out of them as well, and with 8 bolt wheels and a floating rear axle they tend to carry the weight better.

MSinger

Expert Expediter
1997 Dodge Ram 3500 with 12' cube. Dock high with jackstands. 5.9L Cummins Turbo Diesel.

Too cool. I would like to have one of those for my Ram 3500 cab/chassis!

diamondusmc

Expert Expediter
Hello Merkurfan, just wondering what tweaks you are referring to on the powerstrokes. I have a new 05 E350. Just wondering what I might be able to do to add a few mpg more. Thanks

Preacher

Expert Expediter
That is waaay tooo cool!

Hey merkurfan, I want to know what tweeks you've done to your Powerstroke to get that kind of mileage. larger exhaust? Bigger and better intake? Chipped? Intercooler?

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Who cares if it's too small for DOT specs ? The DOT cares . If you're under 10,000 lbs. GVW and not logging you might be o.k. but I hear DOT in IA is really hassling one ton crew cab drivers wanting to know where they sleep . The back seat of a crew cab is not acceptable .

Preacher

Expert Expediter
If you are over 10,000lbs GVWR and your sleeper is too small to meet DOT specs, you better have motel receipts or they will shut you down in a heartbeat and put you out of service!

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Marty,

You are correct - Freightliner of Knoxville is no longer selling the Sprinter. As Sprinter moves to Dodge, fewer truck dealers will be selling them.

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

Education is the best defense against the media.

The Lord's Prayer is 66 words, the Gettysburg Address is 286 words, there are 1,322 words in the Declaration of Independence, but government regulations on the sale of cabbage total 26,911 words.

-----------------------------------------
Thanks For Visiting EO!
[p]
http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

-----------------------------------------

merkurfan

Expert Expediter
When I first got the van and drove it home from PA it got 17.5 MPG (it is a super extended with a 2 foot high top, 9.5 feet tall) when I got home I installed the superchips software and 2 K&N air filters (my 96 has two flat filters, not sure what others have) inflated the tires to the max pressure on the side of the tire, installed cruise control, keep my foot off the floor (that is hard to do with the extra power) and never go much over 67 MPH. On a recent trip to chicago in warmer weather (35 above) it gave me 23.5 mpg. I was told removing the muffler would add a bit but I am not sure the added noise is worth it. Behind the bulk head is just a large echo chamber and I think the added noise would drive a person nuts. I have not made any changes to intake or exhaust. On the intake side I am not sure what a guy could do, there is *no* room to change things around. I am not sure how deep you guys get in to doing your own repairs but when I replaced the glow plugs I almost wished I had the hands of a 5 year old. It is really tight in someplaces under the hood/dog house.

Now if I could just find a place to sign it, it sits in my driveway 4-6 days a week.