Sprinter and Freightliners

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Off the beaten path of normal truck talk, some may know my background on here of driving busses and dabbling in the entertainment business (side note, please don't message me asking how to get into the biz - sorry, just tired of the question). Ok, Sprinters are making their way rather aggressively into the bus business and they're squeezing 9 bunks into them - and I've heard of 12 as crazy as that may sound. The other thing that is raising it's ugly head into the bus business is something they're coining as a "Band Wagon". Basically, it's a Freightliner M2 cab with a small integral sleeper... then there's a cargo box - that has a bunk (6+) and galley area and sometimes even a toilet/restroom.

Curious on the thoughts of these layouts?

I should add that Sprinter has also made a very impressive entrance into the limo/executive shuttle scene. Personally, I like the idea that Sprinters are being utilized in the limo scene, however not too keen on them meddling in the crew/band transport scene- and it's not because of a money issue... the Sprinter is tall and narrow and I'm not so sure it's a good idea to be squeezing bunks into them. The M2 is not a bad truck, however the notion of having a glorified cargo box with a bunch of people riding in it - Completely separate from the cab.

Sprinters are actually replacing stretch limo's and are essentially filling the void between the private town car and the limo. It's working out very well and the variety of interior appointments is actually near endless.

Curious what the take is on this from the expediters - thought about putting this post in the general forum, however I figured since it was trucks I'd try here 1st.

Hope all is well with everybody, BBB

Scirocco

Rookie Expediter
Coming from the full time RV lifestyle and as a Prevost owner, I'd imagine you could do a LOT with a Sprinter, especially if they can be toad'd. (towed by the bus, dingy style, 4 wheels down) Depending on your needs, you could use the Sprinter for a bunk house, in-law suite, storage, studio/workshop, diner, or any combination, options are endless really.

I'm planning on getting a Sprinter for expediting, hope to have a sleeper with all the conveniences, and it would be freaking awesome if I could pull it behind my bus when desired! Anyone know if it can be done?

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
Coming from the full time RV lifestyle and as a Prevost owner, I'd imagine you could do a LOT with a Sprinter, especially if they can be toad'd. (towed by the bus, dingy style, 4 wheels down) Depending on your needs, you could use the Sprinter for a bunk house, in-law suite, storage, studio/workshop, diner, or any combination, options are endless really.

I'm planning on getting a Sprinter for expediting, hope to have a sleeper with all the conveniences, and it would be freaking awesome if I could pull it behind my bus when desired! Anyone know if it can be done?

I have seen a couple of Sprinter "Toads" being flat towed... not sure what the set-up requirement is but at least others have already forged that trail for you.

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Sprinters have a wide range of uses, I would not recommend using them as an extra bunk house while being pulled behind something. That's dangerous. I will say that Sprinters with a full sleeper are rather nice - too bad they don't have the leg room in the drivers seat that tall people like myself need.

Could somebody move this thread over to the General Forum to see if it could grab any more coverage?? Please? Thanks. Curious to get feedback on my post.

BBB

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sprinters have a ton of leg room up front. I'm 6'3" and don't even put the seat all the way back.