Sprinter and Cargo Van Loads Please help me

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Dose it matter how old the thread is? I mean how many times are you going to say " go back and read old threads do research" then you complain when someone does just that?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using EO Forums mobile app

Yes, go back and read but answering a 5 year post is going a bit overboard.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It seems like this forum is biased towards Try Hours for some reason? Is there an underlying story?

Only biased towards those companys that pay for advertising space.

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am with Try Hours as an O/O OTR and so far i love it. they keep me pretty busy and i have the miles. some weeks are not the best but on average I make at least 2000 a week

May be this is not a dusty thread afterall, you have just quoted Jack_Berry's post. Thinking outside of the box here, Jack been gone since March 2012. Hmmm...May be Jack just want to say hello to fellow expeditors thru this revived thread :):):)

mirelb

Rookie Expediter
How do they pay? % or flat rate? Is there different rates for c/v and sprinter? Whats your average cpm?

They pay 70% of the load and 100% fuel surcharge. Cpm depends anywhere between 86 and 1.00

I have seen people come to try hours from panther, express 1 and tri state. Just so you know some weeks are not as good but some i grossed $2600 i am happy.

mirelb

Rookie Expediter
They pay 70% of the load and 100% fuel surcharge. Cpm depends anywhere between 86 and 1.00

I have seen people come to try hours from panther, express 1 and tri state. Just so you know some weeks are not as good but some i grossed $2600 i am happy.

Sprinter vans are in high demand

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter

I've grossed that at Tri State once in the baby sprinter my dad has. Our cpm is lower than most I do believe but I wouldn't swear to it

Bistrohod

Rookie Expediter
Sprinter vans are in high demand

I'm in the process of purchasing a Sprinter in New York, seems like there is enough demand for it in the North East, especially routes running into the NYC, Phily to Boston, and into Canada.

Talked to FedExCC recruiter, says the lazy guys make about $50-55K gross annually and their top of the line make about $90,000, again in the North East. Says people who take loads make the money, people who cry about going into big cities or Canada sit at the truck stops. He offered .85 cpm for loaded and.17 deadhead after 50 miles. (Panther offers .70 cpm.) Oddly enough FedExCC says don't buy a Sprinter as they don't pay premium for that anymore, says buy a E250-E350 and save on the money. I still think Sprinter would provide more versatility, 2013 2500 extended for $44,000 out the door in Syracuse.

I'm thinking of finding my own loads instead of leasing to FedEx or the like. Anyone doing that or do most Sprinters on here run/lease to someone?

wvcourier

Expert Expediter
Yes, go back and read but answering a 5 year post is going a bit overboard.

Yeah, so if they read, and have a question, what then?? Just come to thier own conclusions? Dosent make much sense to me,...

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I'm in the process of purchasing a Sprinter in New York, seems like there is enough demand for it in the North East, especially routes running into the NYC, Phily to Boston, and into Canada.

Talked to FedExCC recruiter, says the lazy guys make about $50-55K gross annually and their top of the line make about $90,000, again in the North East. Says people who take loads make the money, people who cry about going into big cities or Canada sit at the truck stops. He offered .85 cpm for loaded and.17 deadhead after 50 miles. (Panther offers .70 cpm.) Oddly enough FedExCC says don't buy a Sprinter as they don't pay premium for that anymore, says buy a E250-E350 and save on the money. I still think Sprinter would provide more versatility, 2013 2500 extended for $44,000 out the door in Syracuse.

I'm thinking of finding my own loads instead of leasing to FedEx or the like. Anyone doing that or do most Sprinters on here run/lease to someone?

Panther has a fuel surcharge as well that will boost that rate, the other company might pay .85 all in. Don't forget $50-55k gross will be about $17-20k for you and $90k will be about $30k to you. A huge payment on a new vehicle could really hurt

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

zorry

Veteran Expediter
He'll need to know the Panther FSC ( anyone ?) and the FedEx FSC if there is one.
The .17 dh w/o begging seems cool. (Remember 50 free miles).

The big unknown is who has the larger volume of freight .

zorry

Veteran Expediter
In Paullud's post a $35-$40,000 increase in gross relates to a $10,000 net ?
I figure if you cover your fixed costs in the $50-$55,000 that you'd keep more of the next $35-$40,000.

Bistrohod

Rookie Expediter
He'll need to know the Panther FSC ( anyone ?) and the FedEx FSC if there is one.
The .17 dh w/o begging seems cool. (Remember 50 free miles).

The big unknown is who has the larger volume of freight .

I was mistaken, the dh is .15 after 50 miles and the FSC is .17/loaded mile for FedEx. FedEx guy says the wait could be 24-36hrs "if more then something is wrong". Waiting for Panther to send me there stuff.
I've been looking at running my own with the Sprinter, that way I can get more cpm, of course the challenge would be to get the loads. One independent dispatcher says about 10-15% they'll take fees, so that would be just the same as running with FedEx (.85 cpm) but then again thats .85 cpm/loaded mile, add qualcom, and all the fees and stuff and FedEx takes a lot more then 15%.

The dispatcher I've been recommended can take 10%, her Sprinters gross $15,000/month with O/O taking in $5,000 net monthly, that includes paying for brand new Sprinter with insurance. This sound right to anyone?

Paullud, we are neighbors!

paullud

Veteran Expediter
In Paullud's post a $35-$40,000 increase in gross relates to a $10,000 net ?
I figure if you cover your fixed costs in the $50-$55,000 that you'd keep more of the next $35-$40,000.

The things like insurance are a small part of expenses. The fuel, repairs, and maintenance go up at the same rate so I would still figure roughly a third.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
The dispatcher I've been recommended can take 10%, her Sprinters gross $15,000/month with O/O taking in $5,000 net monthly, that includes paying for brand new Sprinter with insurance. This sound right to anyone?

It sounds highly suspicious and it is very unlikely, you are talking about averaging $3,750 per week. That's $195k per year which would be higher than average for a tractor trailer with the expenses of a Sprinter.

Paullud, we are neighbors!

There are a few people from upstate NY here.

Bistrohod

Rookie Expediter
Lets say they contract loads out at 1.20 and drive 3,000 miles/week = $14,400 gross. They work on their own (family) so get the loads direct. But they hustle too, all over the US/Canada, guy sleeps in a sleeping bag on top of the pallets, so expenses are at a minimum I would assume with that kind of approach.

Do you think with those kind of numbers it just might be likely? I have no clue.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
The things like insurance are a small part of expenses. The fuel, repairs, and maintenance go up at the same rate so I would still figure roughly a third.

I figured the fixed costs to be the vehicle, insurance,and owners base salary.

If I could book $180,000 plus to a $printer
A) there'd be no O/Os involved. I'd be loading MY fleet.
B) I wouldn't be recruiting a newbie. I'd have a waiting list that would make John Elliott envious.
No offense, is this dispatcher's name Barnum or Bailey ?