Sprint iPhone

Camper

Not a Member
Looks like Sprint is hopping onto the apple cart.

News Headlines

Sprint, Verizon, AT&T to Sell iPhone 5: Report
Published: Tuesday, 23 Aug 2011 | 3:48 PM ET
Text Size
By: CNBC.com with Reuters
Sprint Nextel will begin selling Apple's iPhone 5 in mid-October, people familiar with the matter told the Wall Street Journal.
Sprint [S 3.50 -0.09 (-2.51%) ] shares rose sharply on the news, which if confirmed, will close a huge gap in Sprint's line-up and give Apple [AAPL 371.93 -1.67 (-0.45%) ] another channel for selling its phone.
According to the report, Verizon Wireless [VZ 36.0499 0.0899 (+0.25%) ] and AT&T [T 29.07 0.09 (+0.31%) ] will begin selling the phone in mid-October as well.
Sprint also will carry the iPhone 4 at the same time, the source told the paper.
This a big win for Sprint, which had blamed a decline in subscribers to competition from Verizon and AT&T, which both were able to sell the popular phone.
However, there may be some concern about Apple's business as some had expected that the iPhone 5 would be released by the end of September, which would have put those sales in Apple's third quarter. Now, those expected sales will be shifted into the fourth quarter.
Separately, Apple is expected to release a cheaper iPhone 4 within weeks, which some suspect will jeopardize profit margins, but win lower-end customers from rivals such as Nokia [NOK 5.935 -0.175 (-2.86%) ] in China and other emerging markets.
Asian suppliers have begun making a lower-cost version of the hot-selling smartphone with a smaller 8-gigabyte flash drive, according to two sources with knowledge of the matter that spoke with Reuters.
Apple is in talks with leading Chinese carriers China Mobile [CHL 50.25 -0.82 (-1.61%) ] and China Telecom [CHA 61.98 0.48 (+0.78%) ] , both of which are eager to carry the device that defined the smartphone market when Apple launched it in 2007.
"A lower-priced version of iPhone 4 seems to be a necessary evil at this point in the iPhone adoption cycle, especially in emerging markets where the average income of individuals is much lower," said Channing Smith, co-manager of the Capital Advisors Growth Fund, which owns Apple shares.
Pat Becker, portfolio manager at Becker Capital Management, said Apple is looking to take a chunk of the market that is currently dominated by Finnish rival Nokia, which is widely expected to release a new phone running on Microsoft's [MSFT 24.5625 -0.1575 (-0.64%) ] Windows software as early as end of the year.
Nokia dominates the lower end, while Apple has so far focused only on the premium market.
"Your best defense is sometimes your offense," he said.
A cheaper phone risks cannibalizing Apple's premium iPhone model and pressuring margins, but the California company needs one to expand its emerging market share, analysts say.
The flash drive for the 8-GB iPhone 4 is being manufactured by a South Korean company, one of the sources said Tuesday, declining to name the company. Apple currently sources its flash drives from Japan's Toshiba and South Korea's Samsung Electronics.
Apple, which demands high levels of secrecy and security from suppliers and employees, would not comment. Samsung also declined comment.
The iPhone 4 was launched June 2010 in black 16-GB and 32-GB versions, with white versions added to the lineup in April. The 8-GB version is expected within weeks, the sources said.
"Apple may want to push into the emerging market segment, where customers want to switch to low- to mid-end smartphones from high-end feature phones, which usually cost $150 to $200," said Yuanta Securities analyst Bonnie Chang.
"But I think for an 8-GB iPhone 4, the price is hard to go below $200, so Apple will still need a completely new phone with low specifications for the emerging markets." An iPhone 4 without contract commitments now costs over $600.
-Reuters contributed to this report.
© 2011 CNBC.com

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Well I am thinking Sprint will be bankrupt soon but this might help.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Camper

Not a Member
Well I am thinking Sprint will be bankrupt soon but this might help.

Well, before the dawn of the iPod, the conventional wisdom had Apple going bankrupt.

Sprint does seem to have a loyal base. They could actually be well positioned as a 3rd party choice should the T-Mobile/AT&T merger go through.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
They will need something huge that will get customers to settle for less coverage but be paying almost as much as Verizon. Their unlimited data plans are the only benefit but if you use what they consider to much data they cancel your service.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I was excited that Verizon was getting the iPhone, but ended up getting a Droid because I didn't want to wait.
I am glad I got the Droid, it's a much more customizable phone.
I think Apple makes a nice product but ads too many restrictions and the prices are insane!!!
You can never convince an Apple person that their Apple product is not as good as yours. :rolleyes:

Oh and Sprint's coverage sucks!!!

RoadKing06

Expert Expediter
I have always had Sprint so I can't compare it to anything else. I like my Droid a lot. I have heard from many people that Verizon has better coverage. But when I was looking for a cell way back in 2002, Sprint is the only one that had coverage where I lived, so that is how I ended up with Sprint. I know I have certain areas when driving in the home area, (Secor Park) I will have no service. I have never figured that one out. Being out here on the road, I am finding more and more places where I don't get good service.

Tracy wants a phone, so maybe we will check out Verizon and see what they have. He just wants a plain jane phone. I tease him and tell him he wants a house phone in his pocket.

I am not real keen on another contract though. We tried Boose and the coverage wasn't very good. So not sure if Verizon has a no contract plan or not. Otherwise we will try the least expensive plan they have. As long as the coverage is better that is than Sprint, otherwise we will just get aother Sprint phone for him.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I have always had Sprint so I can't compare it to anything else. I like my Droid a lot. I have heard from many people that Verizon has better coverage. But when I was looking for a cell way back in 2002, Sprint is the only one that had coverage where I lived, so that is how I ended up with Sprint. I know I have certain areas when driving in the home area, (Secor Park) I will have no service. I have never figured that one out. Being out here on the road, I am finding more and more places where I don't get good service.

Tracy wants a phone, so maybe we will check out Verizon and see what they have. He just wants a plain jane phone. I tease him and tell him he wants a house phone in his pocket.

I am not real keen on another contract though. We tried Boose and the coverage wasn't very good. So not sure if Verizon has a no contract plan or not. Otherwise we will try the least expensive plan they have. As long as the coverage is better that is than Sprint, otherwise we will just get aother Sprint phone for him.

Since your teaming, it would be good to have phones from two different companies, no cell phone has coverage everywhere, but if you have two different companies you will have a better chance of always having coverage on at least one phone.

paullud

Veteran Expediter

I am not sure if you have ever seen my posts before but I was handling Verizon Wireless calls as a customer service rep up until May of this year, just so you know I have dealt with this before. You can buy a Verizon phone without a contract just to try the service out, you would have to pay the activation fee of $35 but if you don't like it you can cancel within 3 days and get the fee back. This can be done at any corporate store or through telesales over the phone, the reps usually don't like to because they don't get the contract commission but it is a way for you to try the service. You would need to provide your own phone, you can get a used one from a pawn shop or eBay, if buying one online you will just want to check the feedback to make sure there aren't complaints about them selling stolen phones which cannot be used. You can also use the Worry Free Guarantee, this allows you to get a new phone under contract but cancel within 14 days if you are unhappy. The issue for you guys would be that you have to return the phone to the sane place you bought it. This is a general overview if you have any other questions just post it or you can send a PM.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have both, and for ease of use I'll still take the iphone every time. My android is on sprint through virgin mobile and the coverage is fine.
I was excited that Verizon was getting the iPhone, but ended up getting a Droid because I didn't want to wait.
I am glad I got the Droid, it's a much more customizable phone.
I think Apple makes a nice product but ads too many restrictions and the prices are insane!!!
You can never convince an Apple person that their Apple product is not as good as yours. :rolleyes:

Oh and Sprint's coverage sucks!!!

Camper

Not a Member
They will need something huge that will get customers to settle for less coverage but be paying almost as much as Verizon. Their unlimited data plans are the only benefit but if you use what they consider to much data they cancel your service.

For whatever reason, they do manage to have a loyal(mostly commercial customers) client base.

If they can spruce up their plan offerings, in concert with the iphone, they could be well positioned as a viable alternative to the two mainstream carriers.

They could potentially siphon off many ATT and Verizon customers if they continue to offer unlimited data plans. Since the other two carriers are dropping unlimited, this could be a good niche for Sprint. We shall see.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Dont forget apple will be releasing a low cost iphone aimed at china that will probably find its way here.