South Dakota scale houses 8000gwv must enter, do sprinters scale?

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
So I was thinking about the time I drove through SD and all the scale houses said 8000lbs or more GVW must scale. Now obviously with a 3500 with a GWVR of 9k and some change is supposed to go in, but do any of you actually do it? cause I blew past them and nothing happened but now I'm thinking that was dumb I should have went through. Just wondering if anyone has any opinions on this, also are there any other states with less than 10k for scales?

Reactions: ntimevan

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So I was thinking about the time I drove through SD and all the scale houses said 8000lbs or more GVW must scale. Now obviously with a 3500 with a GWVR of 9k and some change is supposed to go in, but do any of you actually do it? cause I blew past them and nothing happened but now I'm thinking that was dumb I should have went through. Just wondering if anyone has any opinions on this, also are there any other states with less than 10k for scales?
Because of Ovm's advice on I-29 scales ... i always drive in ... everytime except once less than a month ago i have been Green Arrowed out in my Van ... but was stopped on scales to weigh ... no problem ... leaving exit ramp within 2 miles a pickup pulling an empty flatbed trailer was stopped by tropper ... another 1/2 mile a Yellow cube was also pulled over by another trooper .... so i will continue follow the green arrows

hauling freight from a Pond near you

Reactions: RoadTime

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
Because of Ovm's advice on I-29 scales ... i always drive in ... everytime except once less than a month ago i have been Green Arrowed out in my Van ... but was stopped on scales to weigh ... no problem ... leaving exit ramp within 2 miles a pickup pulling an empty flatbed trailer was stopped by tropper ... another 1/2 mile a Yellow cube was also pulled over by another trooper .... so i will continue follow the green arrows

hauling freight from a Pond near you
Thanks, good advice, now do you know if there are any other states that have scale houses for less than 10k?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
being a resident...they set 8,000 as a limit mostly for the combination pickups and trailers......ranchers use them to haul livestock and feed.....their weight can be an issue......and at 8,000 they have the option of a pullover at the discretion of officer...so keep on trekking...:)