South Carolina...just like our old Kentucky home. Not exactly.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
My wife and I moved to Myrtle Beach in February and we have been enormously pleased overall. Our home sets 500 feet from the beach and nearly everyday we learn new things about coastal life and the subtle differences in biodiversity found in South Carolina. Horry County is rampant with deer and, to my surprise, has a quite active black bear population.

We see jellyfish washed up on the shore. We spot dolphins from time to time. The variety of sea birds and marine life is extensive. Yet, for a Kentucky transplant, this find was unsettling: Alligator shot on SC beach - WBTW-TV: News, Weather, and Sports for Florence, SC

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
Is it expensive as compared to Kentucky? I always love going to South Carolina it's so beautiful there at least imo

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
My wife and I moved to Myrtle Beach in February and we have been enormously pleased overall. Our home sets 500 feet from the beach and nearly everyday we learn new things about coastal life and the subtle differences in biodiversity found in South Carolina. Horry County is rampant with deer and, to my surprise, has a quite active black bear population.

We see jellyfish washed up on the shore. We spot dolphins from time to time. The variety of sea birds and marine life is extensive. Yet, for a Kentucky transplant, this find was unsettling: Alligator shot on SC beach - WBTW-TV: News, Weather, and Sports for Florence, SC

I spent a week with some relatives on Kiawah Island, SC this year. I saw a few alligators, dolphins, sharks, etc. Those alligators are some magnificent creatures, but I wouldn't venture too close to one.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
I spent a week with some relatives on Kiawah Island, SC this year. I saw a few alligators, dolphins, sharks, etc. Those alligators are some magnificent creatures, but I wouldn't venture too close to one.

I had been visiting the Grand Strand area since I was a teenager in the 1970's. My brother and I were intrigued by the first alligator we saw way back then. However, I had the notion that gators always stuck to fresh water places like creeks, rivers, canals or ponds. I most recently saw one in a pond by a parking lot for patrons at a restaurant. People were snapping photos with their cameras as the gator must have felt like a celebrity; or possibly, felt like an annoyed alligator. No chance I will deliberately get too close to one. As an Kentuckian, my first impulse if threatened by an alligator would be shoot it. How uncouth. Probably a protected species.

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
I had been visiting the Grand Strand area since I was a teenager in the 1970's. My brother and I were intrigued by the first alligator we saw way back then. However, I had the notion that gators always stuck to fresh water places like creeks, rivers, canals or ponds. I most recently saw one in a pond by a parking lot for patrons at a restaurant. People were snapping photos with their cameras as the gator must have felt like a celebrity; or possibly, felt like an annoyed alligator. No chance I will deliberately get too close to one. As an Kentuckian, my first impulse if threatened by an alligator would be shoot it. How uncouth. Probably a protected species.

I get that whole see a gator and shoot it thought process

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Are you in mb itself, we lived up in North Myrtle a little more peaceful. My daughters aunt and uncle live in surfside.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC123

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator

The locals there said that alligators are fresh water creatures, but sometimes you see one in the salt water. The theory is that they get some kind of parasites on them and they go in the salt water to get rid of them.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
We own a condo in Arrowhead off of 501. On the ICW and golf course. Haven't seen any gators in the ICW but have seen them on the Waccamaw river occasionally when fishing. We hope to be there full time in 2 years. Could happen within a year. We love it there. Have you done any metal detecting on the beach? Gonna be doing that once we are there full time.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using EO Forums mobile app