SOLO

mikem124

Expert Expediter
Hello Recruiters,

I live near Fort Wayne In. close to I-69. I will be driving SOLO with a 2006 Sterling with a 22' box. I have no professional driving experience, I have had no type of problems with the law. My driving record is clean for at least 10 years with the exception of a Reckless Operation that I believe to be 4 years old or older.

I have spoken to 6 different recruiters including Express-1, Bolt, Tri-State, Conway-Now all seem helpful and courteous, all seem to pay similar without getting out a spread sheet to compare and they seem to have plenty of miles for me with one quoting that I should be able to gross over $10,000 a month w/them.

I am looking for is a small company I feel a part of that really tries to keep me running at full rate, limited dead head and when I go out of the lanes has that backhaul waiting on me.

One company said that because of where I live it's likely that I could be home 2-3 nights a week while still being on call which would be very nice.

Sooo...I would like to here from recruiters that feel based on hard work from me that the above is possible with their company. Also advise from veterans is always appreciated.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
$10,000 a month may not be enough to pay for a 2006 truck and make a living . Even if the truck is paid for or you made a sustantial down payment you have to allow for replacing it . All owners need to be aware that emissions changes will cause truck prices to increase several thousand dollars starting in '07 besides adding more emissions equipment that will eventually need to be repaired or replaced . I'd suggest moving this topic to the General or Newbies Paradise forum and see if experienced contractors with new trucks think $10,000 a month gross is adequate . I don't question your ability to succeed . I think you need to set higher goals and investigate operating costs more .

Mileater

Seasoned Expediter
I may be wrong but I would think a smaller company would have more deadheading and less reliable miles, although the smaller one is probably the one that told you hometime would be 2-3 nights a week.