Solo: Van vs Straight Truck

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
Taking Tractor Trailers completely out of the question, a team straight truck operation seems to be the most profitable way to expedite, but as far as wanting to run solo im looking for input on the better option between non regulated and regulated.

Non regulated van i never have to worry about parking or my driving hours, and while on a cheaper rate could possibly have weeks with much more driving time than if i had HOS. Also i can go anywhere in a van, fast food places, planet fitness, etc much easier. Gas would cost less. Would also be considerably more comfortable to drive.....But my rates would be lower, id have access to less runs, hit periods like what seems to be going on now with very little activity, and be cramped in a small van

Straight truck i would have a much greater access to freight. A lot better living envoirnment with much more room. I would also make considerably more per mile....but basically all the positives of the van become negatives. But the positives here are big ones while the vans positives are a lot of little things.

Just wondering what everyone else thinks would be the move to make.

Side question for any solo straight truck drivers: Do you ever get longer loads that allow for your 10 hour break or is it mainly just shorter runs that you can do in your 11?

Reactions: ADBrouse

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
I've done both. After expenses I have more money left over in a straight than I had in the van. I would recommend the straight.

I've done plenty of longer loads that I had to take 10 hours break in the middle of the run, but majority of my runs are less than 600 miles.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
I've done both. After expenses I have more money left over in a straight than I had in the van. I would recommend the straight.

I've done plenty of longer loads that I had to take 10 hours break in the middle of the run, but majority of my runs are less than 600 miles.

On an average week in both what was usually the difference in money after all expenses?

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I run Solo in a Straight truck. Mixture of short and long runs. 10 hr breaks are figured in to the longer trips.

Reactions: TeamHutch

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
On an average week in both what was usually the difference in money after all expenses?
Difficult to say from the top of my head. Maybe one day when I will have time....

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Are you paying cash for the straight truck, whatever truck you can pay cash for eliminate the payment and watch $ come in. Start small and work your way up. I bought my first 06 Sprinter in 2010. Also on the van go with a known carrier with access to freight and make yourself available and at the end the day you probably have a chance if you're willing to run hard. I only have about 300k experience myself and still learning.

Reactions: Slim and Elfire

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
Are you paying cash for the straight truck, whatever truck you can pay cash for eliminate the payment and watch $ come in. Start small and work your way up. Also on the van go with a known carrier with access to freight and make yourself available and at the end the day you probably have a chance if you're willing to run hard. I only have about 300k experience myself and still learning.
Ill be driving for a fleet owner

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I only have about 300k experience myself and still learning.
Huh? I started in 2006 and i'm coming up on 2 million miles...I'm down to 100,000 a year range and it feels like a vacation...get me a job with your carrier you must get 1.50 a mile lol

Seems like all us vanners are checking out the straights while its a little slow!

Reactions: jcochristoph

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Huh? I started in 2006 and i'm coming up on 2 million miles...I'm down to 100,000 a year range and it feels like a vacation...get me a job with your carrier you must get 1.50 a mile lol

Seems like all us vanners are checking out the straights while its a little slow!
He said he bought his first 06 sprinter in 2010. Not started

Sent from my P00I using EO Forums mobile app

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Yes. Thats 7 years...300,000 miles...maybe I have to watch my deadhead a little more

(In case my meaning wasn't clear, I'm not saying its good that I have that many more miles, I'm saying its good he only had to put on 300,000 since 2010 to make a living. I'm on my 5th van since 2006 and am a little jealous :D)

Last edited:

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I only have about 300k experience myself and still learning.

I do make around 1.50 a mile but the miles are few and far between. :( So I gotta pick up a straight but could be till summer. Still researching and waiting on a phone call from truck supplier.

Reactions: brokcanadian

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Yes. Thats 7 years...300,000 miles...maybe I have to watch my deadhead a little more

(In case my meaning wasn't clear, I'm not saying its good that I have that many more miles, I'm saying its good he only had to put on 300,000 since 2010 to make a living. I'm on my 5th van since 2006 and am a little jealous :D)

I deadheaded 900 miles recently to haul a 1400 mile load but the load consisted over 7 drop offs. So on that run it wasn't the prettiest but I saw the light at the end of the tunnel and I got to take a shower before the departure and check into a hotel in Phx. Now I'm retired because I'm sick of chasing clients and relying on luck. I need sure bets. I think I'm going to buy a car and do rideshare until I can get the straight. Sprinters just really make things difficult... can I live a normal life.. can I live on poverty... can I live normal or is it poverty this month.. back n forth. My services just aren't needed. And NO I would never run a load for .60 a mile. I'll stay home actually I think .90 would get me moving.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I deadheaded 900 miles recently to haul a 1400 mile load but the load consisted over 7 drop offs. So on that run it wasn't the prettiest but I saw the light at the end of the tunnel and I got to take a shower before the departure and check into a hotel in Phx. Now I'm retired because I'm sick of chasing clients and relying on luck. I need sure bets. I think I'm going to buy a car and do rideshare until I can get the straight. Sprinters just really make things difficult... can I live a normal life.. can I live on poverty... can I live normal or is it poverty this month.. back n forth. My services just aren't needed. And NO I would never run a load for .60 a mile. I'll stay home actually I think .90 would get me moving.
Just think of how you'd feel if you had a 2017 with $1000 payments for 5 years!

I feel your pain. I grossed $255 this week :rolleyes:

And yes, this is on topic. That was the van...now somebody pipe up with the straight

Reactions: RoadTime

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Shortage of work, honestly if there was more available I'd run more miles. $1 per mile days are long gone. I call my run what they refer to as a harvest up in Colorado. Get it while you can. Coming off a 3600 mile $6200 harvest just literately sitting here (going on 2 weeks of sitting). My carrier is extremely weak, strictly bids. Since I started working for them again mid Nov they have gotten me one 1500 mile load, one 1000 mile load and one 41 mile load. Everything else is non expedited shipments.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

And yes, this is on topic. That was the van...now somebody pipe up with the straight

Better then me I did $0 ;)

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Yup, I didn't make much more than that. Going to try to stretch out my Ancient $printer as long as possible

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
No straight truck drivers piping up with dollar amounts...everybody who can should move up to a straight, thats where the money went :p