software

paperback1

Expert Expediter
I have a question on the mapping software you use. What routing software are you using(recomend), and where can i buy it? Is the software for trucks, or cars? Also, what size laptop will I need to run the software? I need to know by 11/04, that's when I go back on the road, and my wife is getting kinda tired of me calling for routing. Thanks, in advance, be safe and have fun, paperback1

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Paperback-

Hi. We use DeLorme Street Atlas 2003 USA. We have used DeLorme products for a couple of years now. This last package of DeLorme software is a two disc set that came with the Earthmate GPS "pod".
The pod attaches to a USB port on the laptop. We use the pod more for when we need to find out where we are as opposed to using it for where we are going. In otherwords, we plug the pod thingy in and it tells us where we are. It pinpoints our truck's location exactly on the computer screen. Then we can either use this point to go to our next pickup location or we can use it just to route us out of a city etc. The program also has voice recognition capabilities and talks to us as well. It will instuct you when you are off route and when you need to turn. It also, if the pod is connected, will tell you and show your speed, and where the next truck stop is etc. It has lots of bells and whistles which we quite honestly don't use... We use it mostly for local directions. It does not show specific truck routes, however, you can dictate which type of routing you prefer and we use the interstate routing which may take you out a few miles but the roads are generally safe as truck routes. It also shows one way roads which is really handy in NYC and Chicago. It cost about $90.00 with the pod and about $60.00 without it. You can not install the entire program to your hard drive and must have the data disc in the CD drive for it to work.

We also use PC Miler version 14.00 for general city to city routing. This program appears to use truck routing for most of it's directions. This program is installed completely on the hard drive and it easy to use and no disc installation prior to use is necessary. Frankly, we don't use this much because it second nature for us now on what routes to use to get from city to city. We use it when we are trying to determine which route may be shorter etc.

We also have a Sanyo 8100 Srint telephone that we connect via the USB port to the internet and use Map Quest or another mapping program if DeLorme does not show the location. This doesn't happen often but it does especially with new industrial parks or economic developement zones that have not been addressed in the DeLorme version we have. We do try to keep our DeLorme updated and probably will be purchasing the 2004 version soon.

As far as a lap top-we use a basic pentIV, windows XP, with a CDRW CD Rom, two USB ports, two PCMCIA slots...etc. Cost about $1200.00. We bought a Gateway under the assumption that it could be repaired etc across country as they have many locations. Don't fall for it. It doesn't matter where you go they always have to send a laptop in for repairs and Gateways are more expensive overall costs and repairs. So, I would head to your nearest Sam's Club and buy a HP for about $1,000.

Hopes this helps-mcbride

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
HI PAPERBACK! JUST THOUGHT I'D JUMP IN HERE WITH MY TWO CENTS WORTH! I HAVE THE COPILOT TRUCK GPS SYSTEM AND WHEN MY LAPTOP HAD TO GO IN FOR REPAIR LAST MONTH IT WAS LIKE I'D FORGOT HOW TO LOOK UP ADDRESSES OR DO ROUTING. I GUESS YA GET SPOILED A LITTLE! IT'S SET UP TO KEEP YOU OFF ROADS AND BRIDGES THAT ARE NOT TRUCK FRIENDLY AND UNDERPASSES THAT MAY BE TOO LOW, YOU DECIDE HOW YOU WANT IT SET UP! I COULD GO ON AND ON BUT THE BEST WAY TO CHECK IT OUT IS TO VISIT www.copilottruck.com I'VE BEEN DOING FIELD TESTING ON THE LATEST MODEL DUE TO COME OUT PRETTY SOON, IT HAS BETTER MAPPING OF CANADA AND SOME OTHER FEATURES. DON'T KNOW WHAT IT'LL COST! I REALLY LIKE MINE ALOT! MAKES EXPEDITING ALOT EASIER AND KEEPS YOU INFORMED OF THINGS LIKE YOUR ETA, MPH, MILES REMAINING, TRUCKSTOPS AND WAL*MARTS. I'D RECOMMEND IT! BEST WAY IS TO CHECK IT OUT FOR YOURSELF! HOPE THIS HELPED SOME! OH! YOU CAN DECIDE HOW MUCH YOU FAVOR OR DISLIKE THINGS LIKE BORDERS, TOLL ROADS, RURAL ROADS ETC. TAKE CARE OUT THERE! LATER :) SHARP327

DryRun

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
mcbride,

FYI, if you place the Delorme data CD into the drive, use Windows Explore to examine the files on the CD, you'l find another Install (exe) program which lets you load the data onto the hard drive, saving your CD-ROM drive from some extra work.

By the way, those were great prices on the Earthmate/2003 software. Was that also a Sam's Club purchase? I think I paid something like $130 for the full package.:-(

Regards
DR

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>FYI, if you place the Delorme data CD into the drive, use
>Windows Exp<g>lore to examine the files on the CD, you'l find
>another Install (exe) program which lets you load the data
>onto the hard drive, saving your CD-ROM drive from some
>extra work.

>By the way, those were great prices on the Earthmate/2003
>software. Was that also a Sam's Club purchase?

Dry Run,

Thanks for the tip on looking at the install disc. I have no idea why that never occured to me. Maybe it is because I used to have a smaller hard drive and couldn't spare the space. At any rate, I now will load the entire thing.

Got my deal on DeLorme software at a Circuit Ciy in Alabama...<g>
Which is odd too...I don't generally shop there.<g>

-mcbride

DryRun

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
You're welcome!

BTW, the file you need should be on the Data CD, not the Install. And I've got the 2004 verson, which might be different from the 2003.

While we're on the topic, have you noticed anything stange about the performance of the GPS receiver? I've been using Delorme since Street Atlas 4, with the older version of the Earthmate up until this year, when I started using the USB type. While the old Earthmate took longer to initialize, it was very dependable, even over long periods of time. The new USB unit seems sensitive to heat, I think, as I can affect performance positively by using my defrost in cold mode, which cools the unit. Another contractor told me his didn't work well near airports, something I don't experience.

What kind of download/upload speeds are you getting from your Sprint connection? Which plan do you have? ISP?

Regards
DR

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
DryRun-

>BTW, the file you need should be on the Data CD, not the
>Install.
Thanks I have been been quite the compu-idiot that last couple of days.

>have you noticed anything stange about the performance of the GPS receiver?

No, we haven't. I don't know if this is something we have to look forward to or if we have just gotten lucky. As a matter of fact, I have even hung the thing in our sleeper window and it has worked. I have heard of people not getting a good connection with the serial port devices but never anything with the USB port. I will use it in extreme conditions and see if it works okay for us.

>What kind of download/upload speeds are you getting from
>your Sprint connection? Which plan do you have? ISP?

I use the Sanyo 8100 cell phone with a USB cord to the telephone. I have 500 minutes on the phone, no roaming, pictures, internet etc BUT the reason I use this is so I can have the phone as well as the modem capabilities. Sprint uses Vision and I sign on with Snap dialer. I use Explorer for my browser. I can also use a TCP connection with a piggy bag over AOL if I want. It takes no minutes from my plan to use the phone as a modem at anytime. It is not super speedy but it gets the job done fairly quickly..I am not really sure what it connects at. I will check on that. I think it goes just as fast as a regular home land line connection.

Oh the phone, you can talk with anyone else using Sprint PCS at anytime of day and it costs nothing more..ie it doesn't use any of your plan minutes. Cost $55.00 per month without taxes etc.

Regards-mcbride

paperback1

Expert Expediter
Thanks for the feedback, i bought an older laptop, but it still has windows 98 and only 72mb, so i think i'm gonna look for a newer or new laptop. thinking of putting one of my pc in truck, just need to figure out how to secure it so it don't bounce around so much and loosen things. Any ideas on that? I am driving 2001 columbia truck(tractor)

COFFEE CUP

Expert Expediter
PAPERBACK1,

AFTER A YEAR OF RESEARCH I FIGURED OUT A WAY TO PUT A DESKTOP IN A TRUCK. ONE OF MY MAJOR CONCERNS WAS VIBRATION, SPIKES AND SURGES CAUSED BY THE INVERTER, AND AIRFLOW.
ON THE SUBJECT OF MOUNTING IT,IF YOUR TRUCK HAS A TOP BUNK AND YOU'RE NOT USING IT YOU CAN MOUNT YOUR SYSTEM ON IT ( MAKE SURE YOUR SYSTEM IS AWAY FROM THE HEAT/AC VENTS). IF YOU DONT HAVE A TOP BUNK YOU CAN GO TO HOME DEPOT AND PURCHASE A SHELF KIT TO GO FROM THE BACK WALL OR CABINETS TO THE FRONT CABINETS BE SURE IT WILL SUPPORT THE WEIGHT OF THE SYSTEM. TO SECURE IT YOU CAN MOUNT THE UNIT ON A NON SKID MAT AND USE BUNGIE CORDS TI TIE IT IN OR YOU CAN BUILD A MOUNTING SYSTEM AND ATTACH IT TO THE SHELFAND TO THE SYSTEM.
OVER THE COURSE OF A YEAR I MANAGED TO SCRAP 3 SYSTEMS DUE TO TESTING FOR VIBRATION THE EMACHINES T1742 HELD TOGETHER WITH NO SPECIAL PADDING, IF YOU DON'T HAVE AN EMACHINES YOU CAN PUT CLOSED CELL FOAM UNDER YOUR COMPUTER I DISCOVERED IT WORKS REALY WELL. IF YOU HAVE AN HP PAVILION YOU HAVE TO BE CONCERNED ABOUT MOTHERBOARD DAMAGE
MAKE SURE THE MOTHERBOARD IS TIGHT.
BE SURE TO GET A SURGE/SPIKE SYSTEM THE POWER INVERTERS IN TRUCKS PRODUCE DAMAGING SPIKES AND SURGES IT HELPS TO GROUND THE INVERTER TO THE FRAME OF THE TRUCK SINCE THE CAB AND SLEEPER IN MOUNTED ON RUBBER MOUNTS THE POWER SYSTEMS IN TRUCKS DO NOT GROUND GOOD, THATS THE REASON POWER INVERTERS INTERFEAR WITH CB RADIOS.
I HOPE THIS INFO HELPED IF YOU NEED MORE INFO EMAIL ME I WILL BE GLAD TO HELP ANYWAY I CAN. I HAVE DISCOVERED A DESKTOP IS ALOT BETTER AND CHEAPER THAN A LAP TOP. KEEP IN MIND THAT YOU CAN GET REPAIR PARTS FOR DESKTOPS JUST ABOUT ANYWHERE BUT A LAPTOP YOU HAVE TO SEND IT TO THE MFG. MOST OF THE TIME.

paperback1

Expert Expediter
got a new laptop now, so all i need to do is findout where i can buy mapping software for trucks. anyone know where i can get some?

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I use MS streets and Trips 2003, Drivers Daily Log, and PC MIler on the laptop. I have tried the rest and use the best.
-Weave-

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I bought MS streets and maps at Staples. Office Max also has it. I paid $29.00 for the 2003 version. Works great. I also bought the DeLorme GPS. It is the Earthmate GPS and the DeLorme street atlas. That is also a very good tool. I bought that at Staples also.

paperback1

Expert Expediter
bought the delorme 2004 street atlas software, at stapels in binghamton,ny, but they didnt have gps to go along with it. just need to find it someplace, and play with this on my laptop to get used to it. thanks to all who responded to me:+

Stoy

Expert Expediter
I just tried CoPilot Truck Laptop 3 ($299.00 without GPS receiver)and it couldn't find 4 out of 5 addresses I needed to find. It's going back, 30 day return polocy. Microssoft's Mappoint 2002 found all of them accept one address which has only been around for about 6 months. Mappoint and Streets and Trips are the same map software only difference is that Mappoint has several other features besides the routing that I really don't need. At that time Streets and Trips didn't wotk with a GPS receiver.

I have been lookinging at Rand McNally RouteTools™ – Professional Driver Edition. It's about 200 bucks and works with GPS, it also has the Truck routes and Truck stop info I like. Has anyone use this software. IS IT ANY GOOD?

Thanks for the info,
Stoy

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Am testing this week latest version of Fritz Bjorklund's DDL program, with new 2004 rules. It's $70 for first computer, $25 for additionals. www.driversdailylog.com
Have been using freeware version for over 3 years, and have never had a log book violation with it on the laptop.
-Weave-