So what is better right now for solo?

Giocrypt

Rookie Expediter
In a couple of weeks I will be getting my Class B CDL with airbreaks. Now, when I began this process the only thing I wanted to do is drive a van but sinse I am going through the trouble of getting a Class B I am open to the possibility of doing Straight Truck.

So considering pay, work and loads whats my better option?

Now as I have been reading Straight Truck seems the way to go, however what I have always liked about the Van thing is "no log book" no hours to count and you can run at any time and at any point, I like the fact that you are limitless. I love driving, I have been doing it as a living for almost 15 years now, this is a step up for me so I just want to get to the next level on the right foot.

rymilburn

Active Expediter
If going Solo van's are the way to go. Personally I feel that a van would be to cramped, and if I'm living out of something for 4-5 weeks, then it needs to be bigger than a van. We are getting our B CDL and will be teaming up in a Straight for the Fed.

I'm just a newbie, but I have been researching for a long long time on here. But it sounds like there is more money to be made in a Straight. But finding an opportunity to drive one as a Solo might prove to be a bit difficult. Good luck.

-Fellow Newbie

BigCat

Expert Expediter
Honestly best bet would be class a and truckload carrier. When I solo'd in a straight I averaged about 1200 miles a week. Currently my smallest week in a t/t solo has been 2500 miles.

The "expedite" is a sketchy market to be in for a solo with bills to pay, be better off as a telemarketer.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Honestly best bet would be class a and truckload carrier. When I solo'd in a straight I averaged about 1200 miles a week. Currently my smallest week in a t/t solo has been 2500 miles.

The "expedite" is a sketchy market to be in for a solo with bills to pay, be better off as a telemarketer.

An average of 1,200 miles a week? That seems awfully low - not saying it can't happen, with many variables - like what part of the country you're based in or what carrier you run for.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
Sat in monroe,mi for 2 days because my few solo runs all canceled. Then after those they bounced me around doing 200-300 mile loads 1 a day every other day. I did this for a month before i threw in the towel and went back t/t. This was with fedex cc. Im not by any means saying they are a bad company but not great for a solo.

rymilburn

Active Expediter
@BigCat-

Your location says West Plains, MO? I'v got some friends out there...nice area. Love to come visit. Were signing on with Fed EX CC as a team in a few weeks. Hope to make it out to that neck of the woods.

-Ryan

noneya

Active Expediter

You have a good point. I am thinking about upgrading from a class b to class a and driving the big trucks because expediting is not good for making consistant $$$.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You have a good point. I am thinking about upgrading from a class b to class a and driving the big trucks because expediting is not good for making consistant $$$.

Is consistent or year end more important to you?

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

Giocrypt

Rookie Expediter
What do you mean by year end?

He means as to how much money you made "total" the entire year. Which for expedite knowing that end of December through March will be the slow months.

I am with you BigCat I will eventually end up in T/T but I am not ready for that. I know I am not. I just want to get my foot in the door, get the experience and pay my dues in order to get something better in the future.

noneya

Active Expediter
He means as to how much money you made "total" the entire year. Which for expedite knowing that end of December through March will be the slow months.

I am with you BigCat I will eventually end up in T/T but I am not ready for that. I know I am not. I just want to get my foot in the door, get the experience and pay my dues in order to get something better in the future.

So what you're saying is that expediters make more than truckload drivers?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So what you're saying is that expediters make more than truckload drivers?

No but it is something to consider. Im sure some truck load make more and the opposite is also true. Or you can drive tractor trailer as an expediter.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
@BigCat-

Your location says West Plains, MO? I'v got some friends out there...nice area. Love to come visit. Were signing on with Fed EX CC as a team in a few weeks. Hope to make it out to that neck of the woods.

-Ryan

Yea I married a girl from there and just kinda got sucked in to it. Lol

FedEx as a team isn't bad it is just all my team drivers did it a few weeks and took off. They couldn't handle the occasional sitting as a team. That didn't bother me, it was the constant sitting as a solo that caused me to go back t/l.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
Is consistent or year end more important to you?

Some things to consider though xiggi, unless you own the truck are you really going to make more than what I make? I mean the 40% is usually less cpm than what I get, plus inconsistent miles and then a 1099 and the only business write offs you get are per diem and anything you buy for the truck or business use which doesn't equal a whole lot.

Me, I get $.39 cpm and a w2 with benefits and average 2500 miles a week. This week pay was for 3419 miles solo which after taxes withheld was $1019.

Do you think that can be done consistently for a solo s/t expediter? The thing about expedite is you don't know when the next load will be.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
Proof is in the numbers.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByEO Forums1368680318.932056.jpg
    ImageUploadedByEO Forums1368680318.932056.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 61