So Many Questions

Wrong Way

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I am interested in getting into expediting but there are so many questions that I can't seem to get answers to.

Where do I get a truck and what can I expect to pay for one?
What type of truck is the best "Money Maker"?
What do the letters mean when people talk about a unit size?
What are the "expediter traffic lanes"?

By the way I live just south of Augusta, Georgia and am a solo diver with experience in class 8 tractor/trailer driving. Any information would be greatly apperciated. Please give me any information that would be helpful in make a decision in getting started in expediting. Wrong Way

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Expediting generally classifies trucks as follows:
A unit small van or pickup with a cap that can carry 500 lbs
B unit.usually a 1 ton cargo van
C unit,a small staight truck that must be capable of carrying up to 5000 lbs and have a minimum of 12 feet available.
D unit a staight truck that can carry up to 13000 lbs and have 20-24 feet available.
E unit is a tractor trailer setup.
For a new D unit fixed up with a decent sleeper you can expect to pay about $70,000.The larger tucks give you more opportunities but the fixed and operating costs are of course
higher.If you want to run solo probably a B unit is your best bet as you don!t have to log and as a result can go greater distances than a larger truck.Example Fedex CC limits a single driver in a C,D or E unit to a maximun of 520 miles for a individual trip.A B unit can go about 750.
Main traffic lanes vary.But a good deal of freight flows from the Southeast to the Midwest .But you can go almost anywhere in this business.As I am typing this at 2300 on Sunday night I am getting ready to leave for a 0230 Pickup,and this is not all that unusual.So if you like a routine lifestyle this is not for you.All of us out here can tell stories about phone calls at 3AM etc and as a article said not too long ago your personal agenda means nothing.On the other hand the lifesytle is not boring as just about every day is different.Good luck

Dixey

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have questions too...hope this is the place to get 'em answered. I am looking into the hotshot business. I'd like to know what size rig would be good enough to get started. How do I go about getting my own authority and would it be better to lease on with a company? What are the rates that are acceptable now? So many questions....any 'hotshotters' out here?

Bearcat

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
If you drove tractor/trailor before, you might not be happy with these smaller trucks. I got rid of my 93 freightliner FLD120 and wish I would of stretched it out instead of buying a FL70. The FL70 is not a bad unit but rather small inside. I also miss my 10 speed and my jake. I almost jumped on with fedex and panther but after reading the posts of there drivers, I am glad I stayed local. If you live in a big city, check around to see if there are any local companies that expidite within a 10 state area. Also, DON'T buy a new truck. There are alot of places selling used epedite trucks. Wheel and deal and save yourself some cash. Hopefully by spring, I'll have my own authority and do it myself. Good luck and safe driving.
Randy

Hammer_Down

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Most companies go crazy for class 8 trucks. They generally get the best freight. Everyone else gets what's leftover. If I had to do it over again I think I would keep by Large Car. ;-)

Hammer Dowwn

Bearcat

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
If your going to practically live in the truck, you might as well be comfortable. I saw the perfect (my opinion) expiditer truck last fall. It was a century class freightliner. Had a 22 ft box and a single axle. Looks like they put a pusher axle on it to get probably 15000 or more cargo weight capability. Now this truck had the full 72in stand up sleeper on it. I have also seen clasic freightliners with full sleepers and 22 ft boxes but kept both drive axles on. With this setup you should be under 55000 so no HVUT taxes. Yeah you got more tires on it but in the winter, they come in handy. I have seen some FL 80s with pretty good size sleepers on them but for some reason, they just don't look right to me.
I miss my 12 liter detroit engine compared to my 8.2 cat I have now. I guess I hang on to my fl70 for about a year and then trade it for a bigger, more comfortable truck.
You can set up a truck just about any way you want. Just depends on what you want. Take a look at panther II web site and look at the full size volvo made into a straight truck. Looks good. Good luck on your choice of vehicle. Randy

Bearcat

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Most do but I left class 8 because I got tired of pulling into places that wasn't made for a rig or having to drive 5 miles to turn around because I missed the driveway I needed. I have noticed alot more big companies getting smaller trucks. Also notices alot more regulations being concidered against the big class 8 trucks and not a peep about the straight trucks.
You just have to get into the right place to get the loads for the smaller trucks. I have to admit there are times I wished I would have stayed driving tractor/trailor but there are alot of times I am glad I don't. Will have to see what pans out in the market and the new year. Bottom line though is money talks and :censoredsign: walks. Go were the money is.
Happy New Year and safe driving!
Randy

akjedj

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have one of those century class freightliners. My husband and I drove team for several years in 18 wheelers and when we decided to get into expediting there was just no way I could see us driving a FL70 or other class seven truck. Basically our decision was based on comfort of the cab (lots of sitting around, better be comfy), plus airride sleeper is a big bonus when team driving (try sleeping while riding across Arkansas in a springride Pete!), and the class 8 trucks have better longevity than class 7 (FDXCC will take a class 8 sometimes up to 8-10 years, whereas class 7 is what (I forget) 3-5 years? Orlando Freightliner gets these trucks from the factory with an extralong frame (I'd be wary of trucks that have had their frames cut and stretched) and sets them up for expediting with the box, with microwave and fridge, for $94,500. Yes its expensive, but I've met some class 7 owners who have paid more. The main problem with these trucks is weight. Orlando Freightliner gets them with only a single axle in the rear. Our truck would probably not be legal with a 13,000lb. load and all our stuff(and 2 fat drivers), but the heaviest load we've had so far is 10,000 lbs. But if you must turn down a load due to weight, I have heard that FDXCC will downgrade you a size. If we get a lift gate we will have to get a tag axle. That extra axle has addittional tax implications (supposedly do not apply to truck that is 6 mo. old or older)we will have to see.

Bearcat

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
There is a place in minnesota that will double frame from front to back to ensure no future problems. Yeah, a little extra weight but worth it. Lat time I checked it was $5000.00 to have it done. Don't know if it was your truck I was quoting on (is it blue?) but it was a nice setup. Thanks for the comment.
Safe trucking
Randy