Cargo Van So here I am after 28 year Starting a New Adventure.

Grumpy Grandpa

New Recruit
Researching
US Army
In 1993, after Retiring from the Military, I got my CDL and began what was supposed to be a 1 year respite to decide what I wanted to do when I grew up (post-retirement).... LOL ... After 28 years I find myself still growing up; on the cresp of yet another Life Adventure. I recently decided to purchase a Sprinter Cargo Van which should be delivered around the 1st of September (2021 Freightliner 3500 Ext)...... although i am confident in my purchase decision and reasonably confident in the direction I want to go - I am not, however, confident in how to get there.... I find myself feeling the same way I did the first day of Basic Training as a Private in 1972; or on the first Solo Load in a Big Truck.... LOST and not knowing which boot to put on first... do I turn right or left at the light - or straight...
My point is I know alot about the Transportation Industry as a whole, but, I don't know enough about the Sprinter Van Nitch. I find myself again at the bottom of the Learning Latter and I'm a bit apprehensive about climbing .
I'm looking for help climbing by way of advice, recommendations and guidance in just about everything.... where to start, I'm in the middle of what seems to be a haunted forest.

pelgrn

Expert Expediter
Your going to be real grumpy if you have a over 10,000 GVW Sprinter,If you are in decent health meaning can pass a DOT Phys you can find a company to lease to and learn the crazy business.If you like it or not you will learn something and should go to some interesting places.

Reactions: Grumpy Grandpa

Grumpy Grandpa

New Recruit
Researching
US Army
Already got the Grumpy part down pat. Been to alot of places that Big Trucks should never go; now I figure go where Sprinters shouldn't be... looking forward to seeing things that maybe I haven't. My plans (hopes) are to initially lease to a company where I'm treated decent and where I can learn the things I don't know and improve on what I do know. Ultimately I want to jump out of the nest under my own Authority and see how I do. If things work out after a couple years I'll put the Harley(s) on a trailer and have a bit of fun... if it doesn't go as hoped then I'll just hook up to the trailer sooner and have a bit of fun.... either way I win (right?).... I'll be hitting the other forums looking to learn and hopefully have a handle on things by September when I have to fish or cut bait.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
How did you come up with a 3500? You're going to build in a false floor at wheel well height? What is the GVW of your 3500?

If I were going back out I'd hope to sign on with Load-1. My other primary suspects would be FedEx, Panther and LandStar in no particular order.

If you are really doing it, as in going out for a few weeks at a time anywhere in the 48 and Canada that has an offer worth accepting then be sure to seriously insulate your van and have a good system like an Onan Quiet 2800 and Coleman roof air or similar plus an Espar heater for winter so you can comfortably tolerate living in a walk-in closet for those weeks at a time. Good luck.

Grumpy Grandpa

New Recruit
Researching
US Army
LDB
LOL, it took a bit for me to figure out why you were wondering about the "Dock High" false floor... at first I was wondering why any driver with a Sprinter would do that.... then it came to me.. most 3500 have Dual wheels, however, I ordered this with Super Single rear wheels. They allow the space between the wheels to fit a standard pallet.

GVR is just under 10,000 (9,990 ??)

Funny you should mention Load One. Of the companies I have talked with they are on top of my list. They seem to be a place where I could learn and grow. I'm still feeling around for a good fit. I'd like to hear more of your thoughts about Load One.

I know what your saying about the "Walk In Freezer" effect of the Great Lake States. For the last 3 years I've primarily been in those States (MI, IL, IN, OH, PA & NY). That's part of why I was thinking about having "Smart Idle" installed and a tank heater.... in 28 years I have had the misfortune of having my fuel gel up... not fun. I have been considering different winter heating options and I'm glad you mentioned those. I live in East Texas an don't really care for the extreme cold.

Winter is also one of the reasons I'm looking at adding a 30 gal fuel tank. I have sat on the side of road due impassable ice covered roads (texas between VanHorn & Pecos)... at a gal an hour 25 gals doesn't last long. I know that there is a weight concern, but, I'm certain there will be times I'll be concerned about the wait; not the weight.

Thanks again

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I wasn't thinking of dock high, just the space between the wheel wells. I wasn't aware of a super single option. They look really good with the dual wheels but not practical for expediting. The 9990 is excellent. I didn't have a Sprinter. I had a G3500. Some of the best things I had would work on any vehicle. I had a Fantastic Fan just above where I slept so it could blow cool outside air down on me. I had side windows with screened jalousie sections at the bottom so I could always have airflow but no rain.

I've been retired for almost a decade. I had a team with Load-One 12 years ago or so. They did well. They were treated well and spoken to by name. The key thing about Load-One is that John Elliott is a stand up guy.

Grumpy Grandpa

New Recruit
Researching
US Army
I have heard good things about them. I know I need to be at a company who will/can point me the right was. My biggest concern is being able to get in and out of Texas when it's time for a break. Currently I stay 10 to 14 weeks and I want get it down to 3 to 5.

I'm looking forward to it all.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Some of the important things you want to remember are if you get to Louisville be sure to eat at Mike Linnig's if you like fish and in Clarksburg WV go to Minard's Spaghetti Inn for the best lasagna in the history of cooking indoors.

Grumpy Grandpa

New Recruit
Researching
US Army
Thanks. My current plan is to initially lease on with a company and gain an understanding of the World of "Sprinter Vans"... while at the same time set up my own Authority. Basically breath and stretch a bit before I try to run in a race. My van is earmarked to be built by the end of August delivered sometime in late September; I intend to work towards gaining as much information/knowledge as possible.... I'm also working on getting some additional aftermarket things setup to be put on as soon as I have it....
I am relying on people like yourselves for expertise & guidance..... that's why I joined this group, so far it has been beneficial.
Thank for the "Nod"