Snack alternative to the truck stop dog!!

mxzane933

Seasoned Expediter
Its to easy to go into the store and get a 2 for 1 dollar hot dog or a few slices of pizza when your hungry solely due to the fact you have nothing tasty in the truck that will tide you over. One of my fav snacks that fills you up and adds plenty of energy is quick fit pasta salad, it is super easy to make and once its made it just takes refrigeration . You need a box of whole wheat pasta,I choose that over gluten free for a few reasons even though gluten free is a good choice the whole wheat packs a harder punch. But cook one box of whole wheat then add your choice of meat, I prefer pepperoni or ham pieces. Next you add shredded cheese and fat free Italian dressing then mix it all up and put it in a Tupperware container and keep refrigerated and boom you have a super good snack for the road. Eat it cold bye the way.:cool:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Another great snack for drivers [especially if refrigeration and cooking ability are limited] is the hikers & mountain climbers standby called gorp, for good old raisins and peanuts. [Disclaimer: I am neither a hiker nor mountain climber - I just like to read about them, lol]
Gorp is easy to make, readily accessible, requires no refrigeration, cooking, dishes, or utensils, and is endlessly changeable, these days. My basic mix includes sunflower kernels, cranberries, whole grain Cheerios, oat bran sticks, and even dried snap peas. It's been lunch and even dinner sometimes, and I keep a gallon plastic bag of it mixed up, ready to refill the plastic jar I keep handy while driving.
With the huge variety of dried fruits, nuts, legumes, and whatever else you care to add, it's something that can be different every time you make it - but always good.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
gorp sounds good. I had some kind of trail mix my daughter made for me when she was in Kindergarten that was pretty good. But I have to wonder how good it was for me, since I just finished it, and she is half way through the 1st grade now :rolleyes:

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Another great snack for drivers [especially if refrigeration and cooking ability are limited] is the hikers & mountain climbers standby called gorp, for good old raisins and peanuts. [Disclaimer: I am neither a hiker nor mountain climber - I just like to read about them, lol]
Gorp is easy to make, readily accessible, requires no refrigeration, cooking, dishes, or utensils, and is endlessly changeable, these days. My basic mix includes sunflower kernels, cranberries, whole grain Cheerios, oat bran sticks, and even dried snap peas. It's been lunch and even dinner sometimes, and I keep a gallon plastic bag of it mixed up, ready to refill the plastic jar I keep handy while driving.
With the huge variety of dried fruits, nuts, legumes, and whatever else you care to add, it's something that can be different every time you make it - but always good.

That mix will turn your hair red,,,be careful

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
wife makes a great salsa....I buy celery sometimes already prepared but try to do it myself....way cheaper....celery and salsa dipping....beats texting while driving....LOL

ChanceMaster

Expert Expediter
wife makes a great salsa....I buy celery sometimes already prepared but try to do it myself....way cheaper....celery and salsa dipping....beats texting while driving....LOL

I'm going to put " balancing jar on steering wheel - while operating" on my next driving resume.

Salsa or Peanutbutter, doesn't matter..it takes skill to dip n drive !

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
All great ideas,but when at WalMart don't forget to stock up on apples,oranges,pears and bananas,oh yea grapes too.
I forgot to warn you if you buy those Red pears,be sure to have napkins or paper towels cause when there soft the juice just runs down your chin,yum!

Last edited:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Except for bananas & grapes, fresh fruit is usually a disappointment for me: either not ripe when I want it, or not flavorful when it is ripe. At least, the fruit from the grocery stores is, when I can stop at a local stand or place, it's much better.
I forgot that many people also add M&Ms to their gorp - but if you like the sweetness, yogurt raisins or chopped dates would be better, or even carob bits.

Note to OVM: peanut butter does too drip, when left on the dash in the summer, lol. Which I do on purpose, for dipping apple slices or chocolate bites. ;)

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
Except for bananas & grapes, fresh fruit is usually a disappointment for me: either not ripe when I want it, or not flavorful when it is ripe. At least, the fruit from the grocery stores is, when I can stop at a local stand or place, it's much better.
I forgot that many people also add M&Ms to their gorp - but if you like the sweetness, yogurt raisins or chopped dates would be better, or even carob bits.

Note to OVM: peanut butter does too drip, when left on the dash in the summer, lol. Which I do on purpose, for dipping apple slices or chocolate bites. ;)

If you can find it the whipped pb is fantastic for apples. No heating needed.

Sent from my VS870 4G using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2