Small Fleet Owner

kastmgmt

Not a Member
Man, I'm not going to get any kind of advice about anything. Was it this hard to get business advice when you folks were starting out? (probably not?) I'm not trying to be a ***, but I study career choices like I'm trying to pass a B.A.R exam. I thought trucking would be a good career choice because I've gained a passion for the business, but as I stated before it's obviously not a good choice.

I don't have a wife, children, or mortgage so I have a little money. I know this isn't a career advice page, I don't know where to find any career advice. I can't even pay a career professional for advice without wasting time and money. I didn't bust my *** and create a business bank account to work a company that pays peanuts while the "boss" lives the life I want, and gets rich off the labor of others. I've worked too hard.

I'm just frustrated, this is my last post. Thanks for those who've answered my questions, even if they were to discourage me.

techaholic

Rookie Expediter
It's a competitive cut throat world we are in. Really no easy money businesses exist. Even folks in the "millionaires club" work their tails off putting in 20 hours days. It's kinda like fighting for your life in the fight for success. It's the only way. Do what your good at and put in work as if you're gonna die tomorrow... That is when you'll be successful

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Rome wasn't built in one day, start small and build. Ease your way in and learn technique. It's all fun and games out here, you gotta pay to play. In order to pay you gotta earn your way up slowly. Sometimes its slower then we would like but that is life. There are a lot of successful people to listen and respect and take advice from.

kastmgmt

Not a Member
I worked for 360 days in 2012, 200 days in 2013 transporting RV's (drive away division). I know how much entrepreneur's work. I've lived in truck stops, train stations, airports, rental cars, fedex trucks with no heat, RV's no heat. I have been (to my interpretation been successful) I understand business and I'm not willing to put my work ethic into another man's company. I understand sacrifices, I'm looking for a industry worth sacrificing in.

As for doing what I'm good at driving and restaurants are all I know (I'm not starting a restaurant business) and I want out of transporting for the reasons listed above. So I THOUGHT trucking would be worth a shot (nope.)

techaholic

Rookie Expediter
Here is a business plan for trucking. Get your authority. Work with a few brokers and load boards for 6 months. Then buy 4 more straight trucks and sign up to get on the gps411.com load board. That's where majority of my work came from when I was running. This way you cut out the middle man. Problem is that most startups can't afford 5 trucks and fleets with 5 or more have established business elsewhere with preference rates

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Clearly these guys are just having fun with you so you have to lighten up a little.
We understand you have questions.

The fact is, You really need to be a driver before being a fleet owner, this will give you street credit with the drivers.
Another fact is will have a lot of money involved and be living close to the vest and living with the high probability of going bankrupt for a while.
As for a business model you have to decide on what your limits are at the same time be able to change it up if necessary so you stay in business.

Feel free to PM me and we can go from there.

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
I worked for 360 days in 2012, 200 days in 2013 transporting RV's (drive away division). I know how much entrepreneur's work. I've lived in truck stops, train stations, airports, rental cars, fedex trucks with no heat, RV's no heat. I have been (to my interpretation been successful) I understand business and I'm not willing to put my work ethic into another man's company. I understand sacrifices, I'm looking for a industry worth sacrificing in.

As for doing what I'm good at driving and restaurants are all I know (I'm not starting a restaurant business) and I want out of transporting for the reasons listed above. So I THOUGHT trucking would be worth a shot (nope.)

If your good at driving but don't want to run a 53' think outside that box and get a flatbed. a lot less competition. better rates but a little more work and no cargo vans to haul the small stuff. its fairly easy to get 5k per week by loading 2 or 3 loads. less cost to get into you can get a good used 1 ton dually for 20k or less a lot easier to finance than a cmv. a brand new trailer can be got for less than 10k and my insurance really is not that bad 2million liability+ 200k cargo comp and collision runs me $7500 per year stick to light weight loads.
insurance could be cheaper but I got a 2015 trailer that has a replacement value of 25k.
1 mill liability with 100k cargo would have been plenty but like I said I plan on hauling more than 1 load at a time so decided to go with the 200k cargo. set up with good brokers like landstar, ch robinson ,tri-state, panther, echo and if you work 200 days a year you should do very well on your own.

but here is the thing if you want to be a fleet owner you should forget about driving period. your drivers and customers will need you to be available to them when they call. being a fleet owner is not just cashing checks and paying drivers keep your cdl A you may need to pick up your trucks at times. that's hard to do if your on a load you can't just drive to the airport and catch the next flight. No matter how much you respect your drivers you will have turnover and it don't take long to see red when units are sitting. and most drivers today are very hard to keep happy so if you enjoy driving do it all yourself don't depend on anyone to make money for you. if you insist on being fleet owner then invest in trailers an contract owner/ops to pull them. pay them fast and keep them loaded. don't give them time to sit around truck stops.