Sleeper Construction/ etrak mounting

DooWop

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Will take delivery this week of 2004 diesel Ford van E350 extended 1 ton. As I have followed this forum for years and have found it to be exceptionally helpful, once again I have to ask for information from the experienced expediters that contribute. My question is two-fold; (1) For sleeper construction would the forum recommend a sleeper/bulkhead type construction such as Alumi-bunk does? (I will build it myself). Should I use wood 2x4 construction, or should I use aluminum channel and aluminum angles for the bulkhead and cover it with plywood? (2) Would it be better to just use the cargo area with a fold down single bed, instead of going to all the trouble and expense of a homemade Alumi-bunk type sleeper? (3)Should the floor mounted e-trak be welded, or should grade 8 self tapping screws be used to anchor it to the foor? Thanks to all in advance.

Regards

DooWop

Thunderboldt

Expert Expediter
I built my own fold-up 32" bunk,attached to the bulkhead panel and installed E-track to the floor using a base of 5/8" plywood and a top layer of 3/8" plywood(the height of the E-track)with the E-track in-layed,fastened by wood screws. The plywood does not need to be fastened to the floor,but cut-out around the wheel humps and stepwell.If you screw into the floor,you will promote rust formation and chance drilling into wires or other things.My sleeper is just right for me(I'm 5'8"),and I use a 12-volt electric blanket or fan(depending on conditions) running on a battery pack,which also powers other accessories.I have a bunch of pictures,but do not know how to send them-if anybody can help...