Sleeper Air Bag

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I need to replace a sleeper air bag on a 2006 Freightliner Columbia with the factory condo sleeper.
I think the leak is to fast to try and get it to my local shop.
Do I have to release the shock absorber and jack up the sleeper to get the old one off?
I have a floor jack and a piece of wood I can use.
I have never done this so any advice would be appreciated.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
A vice grip on the airline may help you get it to shop.
Never did one. If you have the replacement and it compresses I might try to extend shock, then block cab at highest point.
If you feel that you need/want to unbolt shock it may be a good time to replace shocks as well.

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
As with any DIY info, I cannot be responsible for injuries.

I have seen a small bottle jack used to expand the assembly to reach the air spring. The shocks can stay bolted up. The air spring will spin when you try to undo the center bolt. Get a bracket that goes on a chain link type metal fence post from lowes or home depot and use it to clamp the base of the air spring where the hard plastic base is. The clamp has two bolts and fits the diameter of the air spring nicely.

I had a 1/4 in hole rub in one on my air springs on my front Donvel air ride. Went to get another and they didn't have any in stock so I used a grinder and cut the metal band at the top, pulled the top off and used a large bicycle tube patch to patch it, then used a hose clamp to assemble back together. Amazingly it has held for 10,000 mi.s now, but this was a smooth rubber type spring, not a firestone, and the Donvels run 65 lbs and lower. My sleeper springs ride at 105 lbs so questionable wether this would work on a sleeper spring.

Good luck

Last edited: