Single Drivers

the federation

Expert Expediter
Well it looks like the wife and I are finally going to make the plunge into expediting. I have been following these forums for months now and have been absorbing as much information as possible. So I have a couple questions. I know the second I can get from the companies but just wanted to get input from you all and hopefully the single drivers. I am planing on driving a class d unit as it sems that is where the money is. One last thing I did recieve an offer from a PanterII owner the other day where he pays all expenses including nextel service at 36% of the $1.35 mileage rate that Panther pays. From what I have seen on the forums here most owners either go 60-40 I pay fuel or 40-60 they pay fuel.
Is that 36% low or a get your foot in the door option I might explore further?
How are single drivers doing with the new hos rulse in place, have they had any negative impact on runs?

Second do most of the Expedite companies offer spouse rider programs?

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The larger companies usually allow the spouse or children to ride along.They would have to sign a waiver and you might have to take out a small passenger insurance policy.
The 14 hour rule has affected me both positive and negative. Before you accept a trip think about what will happen when you unload.Will you have any time left, or will you need 10 hours off in the middle of nowhere.The other night I was 51 miles away from home but I had to stop and sleep in the truck for 10 hours. I had gone on duty at 0830,left the shipper at 0930,drove 438 miles with a 1900 delivery appointment so my off duty times during the day did not count. I unloaded at 1930,had a 225 mile deadhead home,at 2230 I had to stop.
Now I could have logged a 2 hour sleeper break in the daytime which would have extended the 14 hour rule to 0030,then take another 8 hour sleeper break at home(right).
On the other side of the equation I have used the 14 hour clock rule to refuse a run that I was too tired to go on.The dispatcher made numerous attempts,she said"You have only been on 1 small run today",I said "Yes but my clock started when I drove 1 hour from Seymour In to Lousiville then spent a good part of the day at the MATS show which doesn!t stop the clock from running.
Running as a team we are also affected,Matt and Kathy Foscue in the HOS Article hit it on the head,sometimes you are real whipped and need to drive shorter shifts,I don!t know about you but I sure don!t sleep very well when the truck is rolling. So my 2 cents is that in the long run safety will suffer,especially the day cab guys that can!t take a break but have to run hard to get back home at night or buy a motel room. Good luck and keep it safe out there.

the federation

Expert Expediter
Thanks Rich for the reply. It has been quite awhile since I drove over the road but that was always the problem when I ran teams. I just couldn't get used to resting when the truck was rolling. I could sleep but it just wasn't good rest. I am hoping to finalize plans by the end of the month for a carrier I am now trying to narrow the choices. Is your company keeping plenty of runs for single drivers? You run for FedEx CC correct?

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
That is true, I do run for FDX CC and have for many years.Running solo like the other companies really depends on your location for good trips. They do have a Brand Name recognition and can offer more solutions to a shipper that the smaller companies can.

The Gibster

Expert Expediter
My wife and I both drive and I'm like you guys in that when the truck is rolling I'm not sleeping really well. And that's not a reflection on my wife's driving:)

The real problem that we run into is when we're disptched and we're tired to begin with we do shorten our drive periods, and take advantage of the split sleeper deal. But, once your'e in the split mode you have to stay until you can log a FULL 10 hours rest!

If I'm rested and I'm driving I may have to stop after 4-5-6 hours later because of the drive hours logged before the sleeper split. It's very easy to be screaming down the highway and approach a weigh scale and suddenly realize your'e an hour over the allotment because of an earlier split. I really have to concentrate on managing that split time . . .it's kinda a hassle for us.